Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock for open ?

uscbigdawg

My only question on the Lone Wolf open gun would be concerning the "drop in" top end or upper. Wouldn't you want the barrel to be custom fit to the frame and/or locking block along with the slide if you are trying to achive major? I don't know enough about gunsmithing or open guns to know the answer but that seems to jump out at me.

My only question on the Lone Wolf open gun would be concerning the "drop in" top end or upper. Wouldn't you want the barrel to be custom fit to the frame and/or locking block along with the slide if you are trying to achive major? I don't know enough about gunsmithing or open guns to know the answer but that seems to jump out at me.

Its the barrel/slide fit that will be most important, the frame is of little concern because when its in batter the barrel is being pushed up into the slide. With a slide mounted optic even on a 1911 the slide/frame fit is even less critical. Most of this percise fit stuff is moot because when the gun is fired all of the tolerances go to zero due to bullet torque, if it does it consistently the gun should be accurate enough.

After you find a G17 upper or slide, do the following.

Get a threaded drop in barrel from KKM or LWD. Make sure it is throated to accept longer OAL. Both are well supported for major.

Put in a uncaptured tungsten guide rod with 13lb ISMI spring.

Get a major comp. I have had no problems attaching a threaded comp just using a loctited set screw. It stays put and you can remove it.

Be careful buying barrels and compensators. The threads of a LWD production barrel aren't right for a SJC 9mm major comp. It seems that there's no standard for threads on 9mm barrels.

I called up KKM for a 9/16x32 threaded barrel for a S&J Customs comp, and they hooked me up nice.

After you find a G17 upper or slide, do the following.

Get a threaded drop in barrel from KKM or LWD. Make sure it is throated to accept longer OAL. Both are well supported for major.

Put in a uncaptured tungsten guide rod with 13lb ISMI spring.

Get a major comp. I have had no problems attaching a threaded comp just using a loctited set screw. It stays put and you can remove it.

Be careful buying barrels and compensators. The threads of a LWD production barrel aren't right for a SJC 9mm major comp. It seems that there's no standard for threads on 9mm barrels.

I called up KKM for a 9/16x32 threaded barrel for a S&J Customs comp, and they hooked me up nice.

Yes the barrel threads must match the comp.

You're on your way!

Hopefully this year we will see many more open major 9 Glocks running!

Once you shoot open major 9 there is no going back to minor!

I just bought my second 8lb keg of HS6. Powder goes fast!

Yes the barrel threads must match the comp.

You're on your way!

Hopefully this year we will see many more open major 9 Glocks running!

Once you shoot open major 9 there is no going back to minor!

I just bought my second 8lb keg of HS6. Powder goes fast!

8lbs.? That's it? That's not even 1000 rounds loading major 9, you need to shoot more! :lol: