Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Chick!

heidit

Hey – I just wanted to introduce myself, I am new to USPSA/IDPA. I shoot a Glock 19, because that's what my brother gave me. ( Yes, he is a nice brother) I shot in one match here in Vegas a few weeks back. Like Darren’s post I was ready to Rock N Roll… Shooter Ready? Yep! Beep!! DUH… Where’s the targets again? WOW!! What a great sport! I was awful, it was awesome, over before I knew it and I want to do it again. :goof: The guys in the club were great. I was pretty intimidated about walking up to 30 guys and telling them I wanted to play too. They could not have been nicer or made it any easier. Very Cool! I can’t say enough great stuff about the people in the club. I look forward to starting up again in February. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good list of drills for newbies I'd appreciate it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome!

What you experienced is exactly what we like to hear...nothing like a warm welcome to make people want to come back. I'm a big fan of the Steve Anderson books. I was also impressed with the Saul Kirsh DVDs. As you get rolling in the sport don't overlook shooting in bigger matches. Many people think that they need to have a certain experience level....not so! There is a lot to be learned from shooting bigger matches with more stages and getting to see things outside your normal club. Enjoy :cheers:

Hey – I just wanted to introduce myself, I am new to USPSA/IDPA. I shoot a Glock 19, because that's what my brother gave me. ( Yes, he is a nice brother) I shot in one match here in Vegas a few weeks back. Like Darren’s post I was ready to Rock N Roll… Shooter Ready? Yep! Beep!! DUH… Where’s the targets again? WOW!! What a great sport! I was awful, it was awesome, over before I knew it and I want to do it again. :goof: The guys in the club were great. I was pretty intimidated about walking up to 30 guys and telling them I wanted to play too. They could not have been nicer or made it any easier. Very Cool! I can’t say enough great stuff about the people in the club. I look forward to starting up again in February. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good list of drills for newbies I'd appreciate it.

Welcome. You have just described the same 1st match that almost everybody here has had. If the rest of society could experience how much fun this is.............................

well, we'd have to build a lot more ranges, and all the prices would go up :blink: ssshhhhh :ph34r:

I liked all of the Matt Burkett DVD's when I started. Books are great but I need visuals :surprise:

Most of all have fun. Your going to make friends with some of the best people in the world.

DonT

Well I picked up Brians book, lets see where we can go from here. I spend a lot of time at the indoor range, blowing holes in paper. But moving and shooting is a whole new ball game. But it's so much fun!

You have joined the best forum possible! I found the guys positive and very helpful. Follow the link to the dry-fire page and adapt that to your circumstances. What I do is shoot as many matches as I can. It does not make me a champion, nothing will, but after shooting 29 matches this year I stopped been a blathering idiot at the beep. Now I am merely a bumbling fool- but a bumbling fool having the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Cant wait for my next match- 5th of Jan. Most importantly have fun, it is what the sport is all about!

Welcome to the sport of action shooting. I give you a ton of credit for having the guts to come out and play with the boys. It was intimidating enough for me some years back and I'm a guy!! I hope you stick with it. Nothing better than a person who can handle a pistol!

I started in IDPA many moons ago, and have since moved on to USPSA. I love this sport.

Good luck to you!

If I take the RED and the BLUE pill does that make me PURPLE???? Anyway thanks for all the encouragement. Could ya all come out to Vegas for the next match? I could use the extra support. I have read posts until my eyeballs started falling out. I have the luxury of being the wife so if I want to hang up mini targets in the livingroom for dryfire practice I can! Weeee! Ever since the last time I called my husband from Bass Pro... "Honey would you like to see the boat before I sign the last paper?" :surprise: He doesn't like when I go shopping alone. He doesn't complaine about the money I spend on shooting as long as I don't complaine about the money he spends on his mid "wife" crisis Corvette. Anyway I am going to stick with the firearm I have until I NEED to move up. Every girl has NEEDS! The thing I noticed about all the guys with the "Race Guns" they were the ones having all the problems, jams, misfires. It's fun to buy guns, even the spendy ones. But I'd be ticked if I had to fiddle with it all the time. I like my Glock, load, shoot, shoot, shoot...