Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip molding

ks-shooter

One question to interested parties:

would you like the grip anodized in black or clear coat ? At first my thought was clear coat to make it blend with the gun, but now I'm leaning towards a black anodized look to offset the chrome look frame. For blued guns the black will look super nice.

And for the upscale grip that we keep thinking about I think a black anodized grip with a wood inlay will look really sharp.

A matching magwell will follow...

My vote goes to Black! However, I remember you talking about two different grips...one to put putty on and mold and the other meant to stay as it is. Is it still your plan to do that or are you going to stick with the current grip you are working on and a "presentation" grip. I thought an inexpensive aluminum base to putty up would be a good option. Just rough and flat so you can do what you want. No need for making it pretty since it's going to be covered. I still place my vote with black anodizing. A matching magwell.....a BIG ONE? Here is my $02 on the magwell subject: If you can make one like the ICE without any patent infringement that would be great. The plastic insert on ICE's saves mag lips and it can be replaced easily. Okay, we will probably not see that since it requres molding and would be very expensive, but BIG :bow: is still the way to go. Again, that's just my $.02 worth. Have fun skiing and :cheers: but then back to work! :rolleyes:

The ICE inserts are machined delrin.

Henning...Any update on the grips? Have not heard from you for a week. I hope you didn't fall and hurt yourself while skiing. You shouldn't do that dangerous stuff.................................until after the grips and magwell project are complete :)

You have us all anxious to see them so any pictures to post? Thanks

Black with wood inserts would ROCK!

You went skiing??? What's next, enjoying a finely brewed wheat beer????? Back to work I say..... back to work!

Oh what the heck, enjoy the beer. I'm working on a nice Pilsner myself. Cheers!! :cheers:

If you have seen some of the Larry Davidson/Miltac grips, I LOVE those. They're machined from G10 which is nice and grippy with machined textures - got those on all my single stacks, except one with the Simonich Gunner Grips.

But as for my Limited, I'd like a REALLY THIN (looks like you've hit that) aluminum grip that I can apply some grip/skateboard tape to. Black would be nice as I don't intent on grip taping the whole thing, so I think it'd look really sweet. Can't wait to find out the status of this project - the sooner the better, but put me down for one for the Limited when they're ready regardless of anodize color.

~Mitch

Grips are DONE!

Full length grips for Match & Stock in both dark gray / light black and satin / silver will be available tomorrow. Picked them up from the anodizer today and just have to take pictures and put them up on the shop tomorrow. They'll be $95 / set.

Short grips will be available in a few weeks, but if you can't wait just get these and cut them to fit magwell guns. It's the same grip, just shorter.

I'm gonna take professional pictures, but as soon as there is good daylight tomorrow I'll take preliminary pictures and post them. They are awesome and feel great in my hand. I got some putty so will make that and grip tape available for those who want to play with making a molded grip.

Grips are DONE!

Full length grips for Match & Stock in both dark gray / light black and satin / silver will be available tomorrow. Picked them up from the anodizer today and just have to take pictures and put them up on the shop tomorrow. They'll be $95 / set.

Short grips will be available in a few weeks, but if you can't wait just get these and cut them to fit magwell guns. It's the same grip, just shorter.

I'm gonna take professional pictures, but as soon as there is good daylight tomorrow I'll take preliminary pictures and post them. They are awesome and feel great in my hand. I got some putty so will make that and grip tape available for those who want to play with making a molded grip.

That sounds great. I am scheduled to get a Limited Custom for standard,....so I will wait for the short ones.

Okay...

here they are.

I've called them H-152 for the thickness of the grips (0.152").

These will fit these Tanfoglio/EAA models:

Match

Stock

Stock II

Limited Pro

Steel Fullsize

Hunter

Available in both satin (clear/natural) and dark grey (light black). They feel super comfortable in your hands and you can use the regular wooden screws that come with your gun. Price is $95 for the set.

Lots of details have gone into these grips, including important features like having the inside recess 0.010" inside the frame. This stops the grips from touching the magazines which the factory grips do. Lot of times it is necessary to sand down the factory grips to avoid gripping. They are also machined perfectly for the best possible fit to you frame. Frames are not 100% made the same and we've made these fit to do the frames I had available to me.

They would typically be used with griptape (skateboard tape) or used as a starting point for putty if you want to build up your grip like I do. Or they can simply be used as is. They make the gun shine.

H-152L_01.jpg

H-152LB_bos.jpg

H-152LS.jpg

Two other style grips will be made available soon; short for magwell guns like Limited and Gold Team. The other is a fullsize grip with wood inlays for those who want to make a pretty gun... ;-))

Developing each grip took a long time, mainly because both myself and my machinist wanted the grips to be perfect (we realize there is no perfect, but we try to come close). First out was the long grips because they have some intricate cuts to make the bottom blend nicely with frame. Though of just cutting these to fit magwell, but that's a shame when we made all these long ones so we're making short grips separately. We'll have to make up a separate set of vise grips to hold these when we contour them.

So eventually I will also be making these for the small frame as well.

But again, there nothing the matter with getting the long ones and cutting them to fit your particular magwell / frame perfectly. Just have to have a saw / tools to do it. You could cut it with a saw and then file / grind until it's flush.

We will make a big-ass magwell that blends with these grips. That'll look super sharp.

Henning,

I hope you come out with the short grips for the Gold Team and Limited soon!! I'm not going to buy those beauties to then subject them to my primitive tooling and metalwork skills.

IMPRESSIVE!!

I know this thread has turned toward Hennings new grips and I am thrilled to see them but I need to finish what I started on the molding project. Here is what I learned.

AplusB putty works as long as you kneed the two parts together until you have only one color. Mine was grey and came as one part grey and one part tan. You are not done mixing until all the tan disappears! The first side I mixed never hardened (nder mixed) and after two days I finally removed it. :blush: Order AplusB putty from the distributer in AZ not the manufacturer in FL. It took me over two weeks to get the putty from the manufacturer who does not return emails or phone calls! :angry:

I first used playdough to get an idea of what the grips shape would be. It is much softer and easier to work with than AB putty.

Another forum member gave me the idea and since we keep playdough for our granddaughter (Lord I am old) it was handy and it worked well.

My epoxy paint has also been on order for two weeks. I am still waiting for it! I called the manufacturer again yesterday (small family operation)and they said they would get it out very soon! I have a match on Saturday so I went with my backup finish of "truck bed coating" spray. I sprayed the front of the grip also (need to get some overspray removed) to soften the "checkering". I will have the checkering removed when I am ready to refinish the gun in Ionbond. I sprayed it on rather thin but also added additional grit.

Anyway, here are the pics. It feels very good in my hand. The extension on the trigger finger side is to stop me from over indexing on the trigger (sticking my finger it to far) and it helps me get a straight back trigger pull. Saw it somewhere; tryed it and I like it (for now).

Will I still get Henning contour grips? Absolutely, I have to try them and they LOOK GOOD! B)

post-9465-1202396353.jpgpost-9465-1202396369.jpgpost-9465-1202396393.jpg

post-9465-1202396404.jpgpost-9465-1202396494.jpgpost-9465-1202396510.jpg