Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CR speed mag pouches in IDPA

Aristotle

I think your point was well stated as usual, but I think it avoided answering the question asked in this thread, "If it meets the criteria set out in the rule book, is it legal?" That is what I was trying to address my comments to.

I am in total agreement that the principles of IDPA are obvious, but when you make a game, you are going to have issues of consistency if you have a product that meets the criteria and would be disallowed because a SO here and there wouldn't use it, that was the arrogance I was referring to, not of those who made the rules to the game. It is their game they can make the rules they want. I have no problem with that.

This piece of equipment in question is not specifically disallowed by the rule book, if it were then I don't think there would be an issue with this particular question. That it is so similar in purpose (retaining magazines) and size (in is nearly the same dimensions and any other pouch) that to say one is more appropriate than the other doesn't really compute to me.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been watching this post for a while. The real question is does the equipment give the shooter an advantage over another shooter with different equipment? I don't think so. If another competitor was using CR mag pouches in a match I wouldn't really care.

Hello: The reason I asked is if the CR Speed mag holders are legal is that I have a CR Speed Secure unit. It holds 2 CR Speed mag holders together so they can be put on a belt via belt loops on the Secure holder. Look at the CR Speed website to see what I'm talking about. I was just wondering. Thanks, Eric

So with all the concerned shooters running to get a ruling, I never did hear back on what they found. Anyone get a final decision from HQ that they are willing to share with the rest of the group? Or am I going to have to ask myself?

I am very happy that IDPA was developed by the some of the same founders of USPSA/IPSC. It has made USPSA better in the process, membership is way up. Most people I know shoot both sports and enjoy them. A mag pouch mandate will not limit you in your ability to excell.

So with all the concerned shooters running to get a ruling, I never did hear back on what they found. Anyone get a final decision from HQ that they are willing to share with the rest of the group? Or am I going to have to ask myself?

I would not necessarily call myself a "concerned shooter" nor did I go "running to get a ruling" but I will share what I know.

There you have it. I asked. I sent photos. I was told it would be further researched. Perhaps someday we may be told a definitive answer.

I would not necessarily call myself a "concerned shooter" nor did I go "running to get a ruling" but I will share what I know.

There you have it. I asked. I sent photos. I was told it would be further researched. Perhaps someday we may be told a definitive answer.

aye chihuahua!

Okay, thanks for sharing anyhow. As much of a big deal as I may "sound" or make it out to be, I've already accepted the BT mag pouch as my "idpa game" mag pouch and affects me none either way. Having to retreive a mag from concealment, there's no speedy way of doing it anyhow. Sometimes I find myself arguing, just to hear myself speak.

Besides, if they rule for CR speed mag pouches, what ever will I do with my Blade Techs since I can't use them for CCW anyhow. LOL

:cheers:

Edited by Duane Thomas

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

blasssssst from the past.

I found my CR Speed pouches in the garage and would prefer to use those with my M&P for IDPA but couldn't decide if they were legal or not. My search found me this thread, which unfortunately is 4 pages long with no real answers. I did see videos of someone who posts in this thread shooting in an IDPA match using them recently so maybe that means he has learned something I don't know in the last two years since this thread has been bumped?

A big big big feller shoots with us at a local club. He asked the IDPA Area Cordinator if his CR mag pouches were legal. The Area Cordinator's response was "On you Yes. They are x amount of inches from your body." So I would imagine it matters on your personal girth. Never could get an answer through H.Q.

A big big big feller shoots with us at a local club. He asked the IDPA Area Cordinator if his CR mag pouches were legal. The Area Cordinator's response was "On you Yes. They are x amount of inches from your body." So I would imagine it matters on your personal girth. Never could get an answer through H.Q.

On me the mag bodies touch my body when wearing them. My Ready Tactical ones press into my side when I wear them. I'm not a big big feller though, just big

Per the new rules....

Addition of rule page 39

5. Can have no offset back pieces and/or belt slots. The

carrier may not offset away from the belt and/or body.

6. Must hold the ammunition carrier positioned on the

body so an object of ¾"width cannot pass between the

shooter's body and the inside of the speed loader/moon

clip when the shooter is standing straight and upright. If

the ¾ inch object touches both the body and the speed

loader/moon clip as it is passed through, the ammunition

carrier is legal.

238824449-M.jpg

Edited by Merlin Orr

What I don't get is why anyone would WANT to use CR Speed mag pouches in IDPA. Don't get me wrong, they're great for leaving attached to a two-piece belt, but since our IDPA belts are required to go through belt loops (all but two, now) it seems like it'd be a pain to have to thread your belt through them every time you gear up.

No thanks. I'll stick with my Ready Tactical pouches for IDPA.

I use Ready Tactical too. I wish they had a little bit of offset from the body. Even just a tiny bit like the Bladetech. I grab a handful of shirt a lot when I go for reloads.

Do you clip them on your belt or the waistband of your pants?

Hmm, I had to think about that for a second. I put them over the belt and pants. Should I try otherwise?

Definitely try just clipping them on your belt. When I shoot IDPA I don't have to worry about having to fit a bunch of mags on my belt, but when I've shot USPSA Single Stack I can't get the mags close enough together to keep from reaching around my back because I'm constrained by belt loops. I HAVE to clip them on the waistband of my pants to get them closer together, and I have had many a botched reload because the mags are too close to my body.

Clip them to your belt only and you'll have enough room to grab them while staying within the IDPA rules.

• 2 months later...

Based on my interpretation of the rule book the CR Speed and Safariland 773/771 ammunition carriers are absolutely legal. I won't use them only to stay out of this obvious gray area of the rules that others may interpret differently. Better to be safe than sorry. I would like to add that I would hope that we don't start banning any piece of equipment solely because it's marketed for "competition".

Doesn't the rulebook say something about "A. Be designed for concealed carry and suitable for all day

continuous wear."? Now if it's marketed as IDPA approved then it would be competition gear and not suitable for use.... :roflol: Seriously though just check the distance off the body, the coverage of the mag and the cant fore and aft and you should be good if it passes all that.

For the last 30 minutes have read thru all the responces and I believe that the mag pouches we a discussing are legal. But since this is a game, we MUST wait for HQ to make a ruling.

If I was a MD and running a match I would allow these carriers because they can be used for all day concealed use and meet the other criteria for a mag carrier.

Mike Merkler

IDPA S/O Instrustor A 03930

USPSA CRO TY11297

I agree but feel it should depend on person and how close it sits to the body for them. Some people the bladetech ones sit close to the body, others they dig into the side. Some the CRspeed keep the mag hugging the body, others they are offset quite a bit

well.....I just read through about 45 minutes of posts w/no real conclusion.....DEJA VU I just read another IDPA Rule qustion the other night....again w/no clear undersatnding of right or wrong. beginning to see a pattern. Oh well I will continue to shoot IDPA w/SSR and have fun doing so.