Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deer hunting with AR's

I've been thinking about buying an upper for my AR to deer hunt with and am curious to see what others have used. I've considered the 6.8 SPC, the .243 and the .450 Bushmaster. I'm trying to use a caliber that will go with the lower I already have. About the longest shot that I might have would be around 400 yards which I learned at Ft. Benning I probably wouldn't make. :lol: Anyway any info would be appreciated.

I recently put a 24" 6.8 SPC barrel on my TC Contender carbine. Developed a load with a 110 grain Barnes TSX bullet at about 2600 fps with the intention of using it on deer. My impression is that it would be capable out to about 200 yards.

Haven't had a deer get in my way with this rifle yet, but the ballistics seem similar to the old Winchester 25/35 which is a lightweight but effective deer cartridge.

Any of the 308 based rounds would work (.308, 260, 243) but I dont think they will work with your lower. The 6.8 doesnt have the velocity or a decent sectional density to make a long range hunting round. I wouldnt mind hunting with it because most of the deer I have shot have been less than 100 yards. I cant even see a deer at 400 yards. Make sure you flip through the laws first as semiautos are not allowed for deer hunting in a few places not many but they are out there the laws may also limit caliber choice. If this is a dedicated project you would probably be best served by building or buying an AR chambered in a .308 family round. as the parts, magazines and related doodads are readily available.

BReid -

A couple of guys locally have used the 6.8 to kill several deer without any problem. All of them have been on the AR15 platform. It's about as potent as the 7mm TCU and works well within it's range. No shots have been over 200 yards and no deer has run over 40 yards when hit. All but 1 were 1 shot kills and the single exception went down fast but took a finishing shot.

I read an article about the Handi-Rifle recently in one of the gun rags. One of the side notes was a Black Hills 223 that the factory said was sufficient for dear hunting, and was successfully used in the handi-rifle.

I think it was the 60gr Soft Point, but it might have been the 60gr Nosler Partition. I'll try to find the article.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. It made me think a little more about what I may actually encounter. According to the Al Dept of Conservation you are only required to use a centerfire cartridge with expanding or mushrooming ammo. No caliber requirement listed. Eleven rounds max, autoloader's OK. I'll probably never try to make a shot past 200 so this will affect my decision. I like the idea of the .308's but that would involve buying a new rifle. That may be something to look into in the off season. It's my understanding that the .243, .260, 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8SPC uppers will fit on my Bushamster lower. Does anyone know if you can just do a barrel/bolt swap for one of these calibers on a .223 upper? Another cost saving approach.

Thanks again.

In the AR configuration, personally I wouldn't use anything less than a 308. Yes I know a 223,243 etc will be mortal if the shot placement is correct, but you had better be a damn good tracker. On my hunting property the adjacent brush is so thick that within 150 yards you will be on your hands and knees following a blood trail, hence I do not hunt with anything less than 30 caliber and it must have a surname of magnum. Just my 2sense.

Ok. How about a 6.5 Grendel?

You can get loaded ammunition from Alexander arms with a 120 gr Nosler ballistic tip that looks to run 2500-2600 fps from a 20 in barrel (I can't find consistent numbers on the web but that was the range I saw).

I believe that Alexander arms also sells a load with a 130 gr Swift Scirocco (Although I don't see it on their web site).

There are a large number of quality 6.5 bullets available if you want to hand load this.

With good shot placement 6.5 bullets kill deer nicely.

Check this link out:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=nosler

Shoot them suckers in the head and save the meat! Lung shot, I would say 100-200 yards 6.8 will be ok but I would want something a touch bigger. 6.5 Grendel but the problem there is almost all things Grendel are proprietary (sp) to Alexander arms and therefore $$$. If you really want to hunt with a AR, use the excuse and get the .308 and you will be more than humane with good shot placement.

If you are hunting for meat, .223 with 62gr Norma, 60gr Nosler Partiton (both 1:12") 65gr Sierra GameKing 1:9", right behind the ear out to 250yards. From a Helicopter a 16" using 55gr SP or 69gr Match will be perfect for head and neck shots.

For small white tail sized deer (150lb max), 6x45 with 85gr Nosler Partition or 85gr Sierra GameKing, 6.8SPC 110gr, not much more than 200y with body shots if a clean head shot not available.

243, 260, 308 or anything similar if after bigger deer (200lb +) in brush where a clean head shot is unlikely. Any well constructed projectile placed properly will generally do. Obviously the right bullet will kill out to 400 or so ubder the right conditions. I have seen a guy using 260 in a significantly modified AR10 shoot a nice fallow buck at 450meters with a 125gr Nosler Partition. One shot, all over. Clean through the chest out the other side.

Edited by gm iprod