Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me out of a Benelli for Tactical

dirtypool40

Ok, Blackbird just came back from Benning and said everyone who was anyone used a Benelli. His own Browning took a major dump on him and cost him several places.

I'm looking at getting back into Tactical 3-gun and need reliable gear. I need a 100% reliable, competitive gun. I would LOVE something that ran on cheap Wally World Ammo. I am happy to start with a "base gun" and have it built up like it should be. I want to do this ONCE. Several questions for discussion:

I like how slick the Browning is, and love that speed feed. Anyone have experience with a Rockin' H tuned gun? Anyone else doing a nice package? Can they be tuned to be reliable enough to win without expensive ammo and intensive maintenance?

What about the Winny's??? Any experience with them all souped up? Who did it? Which one did you start with?

Is Benelli (ala Benny Hill) the only way to go? If so, what do you start with? Which model and length?

thanks in advance. :cheers:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DP,

I'd love to try, but to be honest, while I LOOOOOVE my Briley tuned 1100, I have to admit that I didn't believe things could be so nice than with my M2. It doesn't take much to get these things to run super happy. Frankly either sending them to Beven Grams (if he'll do it), Benny Hill or Taran's guy (Rob Melhorn) would be the way to go with it.

Another to consider is the choice of Jeff Cramblitt and Bennie Cooley (at least at the '06 Nat's) and that's the Beretta Extrema II. Pretty sweet actually in that it appears to be a Benelli that runs on some gas (i.e. so you can shoot some of the lighter stuff. I only shot it briefly but it's definitely an option.

The Browning's not a bad shotgun, if you can make them run 100%. Rockin' H is probably THE guy to do it. With the Winchester though, you lose that auto-feed feature and frankly regardless of the gun, you running dry is never good, but I suppose if you're going to do it, on the Browning is best.

Hope that helped. Just being diplomatic, but can't say that I'm good at it.

Rich

Here's my two cents....

You absolutely cannot go wrong with getting your hands on a Benelli M2 Field (either 21 or 24") and sending it to Benny and getting the Triangle treatment on it. You will have a great setup but $$$$ approx 1k for the gun and another 8 bills at Benny's. You will have to make sure you feed it good ammo. It will most likely run most regular loads (3 dr 1 1/8 oz) but what I noticed is that the Wally World stuff's QC is so random that you will literally get good function from one 100 pack to the next. You can shoot pretty good ammo that is comparable (Estate, Remington Field etc) in price. Find a load and buy a few cases.

As far as the Browning good technique totally negates the advantage of the speed feed and there are just too many compromises with respect to reliability, loads, etc.

Personally for Tactical (don't shoot Tac too much) I am shooting a Winny SX2 (FN SLP same action/gun). It is the 24 inch turkey model. I put a Briley tube, Briley bolt handle, cut the prongs on the loading gate, and found a front sight that shoots to POA with wolf slugs at 50 yds. Done. Runs on most anything that has at least 3 drams in it and has been very reliable for me.

Good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

Talk you out of i?. OK, here goes. If you are dead set on shoothing the cheapest, sorryest ammo you can get you hands on, why worry about which shotgun to use. Go get the cheapest, sorryest shotgun you can find. Or you could get a M2 from Benny, feed it good ammo and be a happy camper.--------------Larry

Edited by Larry White

What you need is Charles Daley, dont believe all the hype on the Benelli's....just because most of the top shooters use, doesnt make them the best out there. Heck I know personally that one or 2 use a SX2 and maybe even a Remington or 2.

But the Charles Daley is the way to go.......all you need to do is strengthen the butt stock bolt area so that stock doesnt come off in amatch and replace the whimpy factory magazine tube with a SS one so it doesnt break off in a match as well. Then find a custom magazine extension for it, dehone all the rough spots and you'll have shotgun second to none.....none in this case being better

Better yet.....get an M2, send it to Benny......you'll be VERY happy.

On ammo.....find stuff that works great and buy cases of it.

Tim

Jeff's Extema has a light hit problem, only very occasionally. He had to leave the Extrema home for Benning and use his old stand by Benelli.

Talk you out of a Benelli?? Easy!! The cost of one is almost the price of a good used car, and then if Bevin or Benny get hold of it, it is like paying the service department at a car dealership for major repairs.

Benelli U.S.A. and Italy, don't support our sport in the least! You could get more out of a small soap dish in support than these guys give!

Parts are hard to get and very expensive when you do find them.

You can outrun the action "on demand" and if you get behind the gun to aggresivly it won't cycle unless you are using 3" demi-mag loads

I think the Remington 1100/1187 is a much better gun! Remington supports our sport! Parts are easy to get, and they never jam for untold thousands of rounds with no cleaning!

The Browning Gold is great also! It feeds it'sself and once tuned up ( oops! thats like sending it to someone...dealership again!) it is the most reliable shotgun you can ever find...well except for BlackBird's, I was holding the timer when his went away and it was painful to watch!

The FN/Winchester guns never jam and are good to go right out of the box!

What ever you decide to end up with, make SURE to get a BIG OVERSIZED bolt handle!!!

I just hate those Spaghetti Shooters...in boat, on floats, near moats, by goats!!

All of the above should do it for you...I think Larry has it! Get a Maverick shotgun as pumps are the most reliable gun you can get! :lol: KurtM

What class do you shoot? If its "A" or above don't get a Benelli, we don't need the competition its tough enough, B or below get the Benelli, M1 or M2 and shoot the daylights out of it, I have used mine for 21 years now of heavy shooting and it just won the shotgun side match at Benning 3 gun and placed me well at Area 6 3 gun and Benning. I have tried the Browning, and they are great guns well made but the balancing act of the recoil and magazine spring forces will fail you at some point, so I gave that up, the Extrema II is great, as noted is about like a gas operated Benelli, I openned up the ports so it will shoot about anything on earth, I have had a couple light strike type failures but I think they are cheap ammo related as the hammer spring will launch an arrow into outer space it hits the pin so hard.

Benny does gret work and can trick that M1 or M2 just like you need, I currently have him dong me one, but I shot my first one at least 12 years before I ever did anything trick too it other than a mag tube

Just jump in, the waters warm and full of sharks

jc

I like my Remmy 1100. Got mine for $300 off the used rack at Cabellas. Attached a Choate extension tube and had my smith put on the EZ Loader. Guess that puts around $500 total that I've got in it. Runs like a champ and the only time I've had trouble is with cheap Walmart ammo. I've been feeding it Remington heavy dove from Academy for $4.29 a box and it's very happy. I change out the o-ring every other match with the super cheap ones that Eric W. sells. I've seen other guys shooting 1100s with shell carriers strapped all over the gun without issue (I understand the extra weight can cause issues with the Benelli). I prefer belt shell carriers myself though.

But, my Remmy is is ugly. The Benelli would look sexier at the range. :lol:

Ok Merlin....here is my 2c worth

In the hand full of 3 gun matches I have shot in the last year I have never seen a Benelli break...but I have seen plenty of them jam.

I think its a myth that they run 100%

Any shotgun you choose will at some piont fail in one way or another...its a machine ...none can be perfect!!!

Personaly I like the 1100...mine is an old JP, at the nats mine started jaming....bad springs, my fault.

I finished the match with my wifes 1100..an old $300.00 gun reworked just before the nats ..it ran perfectly!!

Most failures I see in 1100s boil down to neglect in the end...very few actual broken parts.

Remington supports our sport....supports the second amendment.....Benelli does not.

you can build a FULL boat open 1100 for the cost of a stock benelli.

In the end I think the 1100 and the Benelli both have good and bad points to think about.

Parts for an 1100 are cheap and available..not so for a benelli.

Benelli seems to be a more robust strong action and is very simple.

The 1100 is a more complex and lite action.

The Benelli likes pretty heavy loads

1100 can be tuned to shoot much lighter stuff

recoil is softer in a gas gun.

Both guns are good guns!!

It comes down to personal choice

If I were to go with a Benelli....Benny Hill would be my first choice to build it.

Jim

Edit to complete post (get kids off to bus stop) :)

JIm

I can tell you the Benelli is a VERY nice gun And I have never seen Bennys race gun fail him

Edited by GentlemanJim

I have less than $1000 in my Remmy 1100. Got it used from a forum member, put on a Choate tube, had my pistolsmith put on the EZ loader & the Speed chute, had the barrel ported & polished and shoot the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart thru it. It's never failed me once.

Talk you out of it? Why?

Benelli's normally run out of the box, one of my M1's has ran for years without anything being done to it and it gets used a lot. I picked it up at a pawn shop for $500. I clean it fegularly and replace springs on a schedule, so its hasn't failed or jammed due to part fatigue. They don't have gas seals to blow out and they have a simpler system to clean and maintain.

You really don't need to have customization done to a Benelli if $$$ are an issue, they work and work well.

Talk you out of i?. OK, here goes. If you are dead set on shoothing the cheapest, sorryest ammo you can get you hands on, why worry about which shotgun to use. Go get the cheapest, sorryest shotgun you can find. Or you could get a M2 from Benny, feed it good ammo and be a happy camper.--------------Larry

Damn, you guys are harsh. :unsure:

What class do you shoot? If its "A" or above don't get a Benelli, we don't need the competition its tough enough,

GM, does that change your recommendation? :blush:

Sounds like there's a definite Remmy crowd out there. Hmm, they do shoot soft. Who does the good Remington work? Do they really need anything other than stuff hung on them?

And I don't hear anyone talking about Benelli M1's it's all M2's. Is the M2 the only way to go?

DP - I sold both of my 1100's in Oct 06 and bought a 24" M2. Last spring I had Benny lighten the bolt and weld it so I could Ghost load an extra round. After 8 cases of shot and a case of slugs I had to replace the magazine tube spring. I clean it when I feel guilty. My 1100's had to be cleaned after every match and I replace the "O" ring every 200 rounds or so. My M2 will shoot 7/8 oz trap loads. Neither 1100 would *reliably* shoot anything lighter than 3 1/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz shells unless it was spotlessly clean. I've also spent some time shooting an M1. The difference? Primarily the stock on the M2 - recoil is softer.

The deal on M1s is that they dont make them any more, if you ran across a good one at the right price it would be a deal. The M2s with the comfort tech stock does shoot softer.-----------Larry

Edited by Larry White

The deal on M1s is that they dont make them any more, if you ran across a good one at the right price it would be a deal. The M2s with the comfort tech stock does shoot softer.-----------Larry

What's a good deal? I see them around for $7-800

I have a 1100CM for sale....bought a Benelli 24" M2. My 1100 was a great gun for 2 3gun years, after tweeking on it here and there. It ran when others failed, until the last match. Cost me a finished I could of had, five jams on three stages, I thought I knew all about keepiing it clean and running. Look forward to this year with a new Benelli. I have not had any problems with any shells, cheep or otherwise with the Benelli.

Get a Benelli M2.

What class do you shoot? If its "A" or above don't get a Benelli, we don't need the competition its tough enough

jc

+1 Jeff :lol:

Look at what the top guys are using, they are using them for a reason !!!!!!

If you have used shotguns for long enough you will have found the weaknesses in every make, I used Remingtons for years & grew tired of the easy loader pins & gas rings/seals breaking & costing me stages, I got a Browning Gold which was nice & much faster to load than the Remington but the balancing act of the springs made it unreliable with slugs costing me points at the Euro Champs in Greece 06 (Kurt/Jeff please dont say you told me so :lol: ) so I changed to an M2 Field & have not looked back since, it works with light 28g loads & also all the slugs I have tried & apart from a few well placed mods with the dremmel for ghost loading/out of battery loading (thanks Kurt) its a stock gun & I wouldn't ever part with it.

I also did "OK" on the home circuit with the M2 this year :P

If you plan on shooting overseas get a 24" barrel model as some euro countries have a 24" minimum barrel length law on shotguns.

N

Edited by Neil Smith

OK, Remmy - is it bad to go for the pistol grip stock? Should I start with the "Tacti-cool" if I'll be buying new?

Anyone have hands on for a recent Tacti-cool? What did they do mechanically?

What I believe the new ones have is.... oversize carrier release, parkerized finish, plastic stock and forened, fiberoptic sight. I can't remember if the barrel was ribbed or not.

Another Benelli shooter here.