Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Weight for Steel Challenge

gotcha

The Zero 95 gr bullet is Hollow base and has plenty of contact with the lands. It also is .356" the accuracy is good,= not as good as the 121 but good. The thing I like is that it is a low splatter bullet. I shoot the same bullet in our revolvers and my super. It does good for me with 6.4 Universal and or 7.2 of IMR 7625

with 38 long colt I use tight-group Revo

• 3 weeks later...

I hear ya Kyle, but I'd say the majority would be in the Open division to go to a lighter bullet. Increased speed = Increased gas = better comps and the guns don't feel sluggish.

That said, going to like a 130 or 147 in 9mm, is not a bad idea and then springing it down a ton. Better accuracy (maybe) and lower energy.

Rich

With no PF to worry about, and flight time to the stop plate to worry about (at the 'big' steel matches), a light, fast bullet has a little bit of an edge.

Many people just throw a 115 onto their 124-IPSC load as well for a quick-n-dirty steel load.

• 3 weeks later...
I used the MG 95gr JHP last year. It's a stubby little thing (you need the KISS special plate to feed it), but works well for steel.

:blink:

um is that a joke like "KISS Keep it simple stupid" and your pullin our legs of is there literally a special plate your using for these. why wouldn't just shortenging your OAL a bit work?

this question has been answered, My ignorace to this has been cleared up. Apparently there is a special plate for these if your using a bullet feeder on a Dillon 1050

Edited by Jadepanther

• 2 weeks later...
and flight time to the stop plate to worry about (at the 'big' steel matches), a light, fast bullet has a little bit of an edge.

Hi Shred - I agree with you, though for a different reason.

I am not convinced that the diffence in "flight time" to the target matters.

What does seem to matter is that a faster bullet requires less follow-through to make an accurate hit.

For example: it is very challengeing to shoot an Olympic air-pistol well without keeping the gun on target for a moment after the shot is fired.

Why? - because the pellet is only travelling at 300 to 400 fps and it stays in the barrel for a comparatively long time. In contrast, a steel challenge load at 1200 to 1400 FPS leaves the barrel sooner after the hammer falls.

Fast, light bullets would appear to be optimal for SC.

and flight time to the stop plate to worry about (at the 'big' steel matches), a light, fast bullet has a little bit of an edge.

Hi Shred - I agree with you, though for a different reason.

I am not convinced that the diffence in "flight time" to the target matters.

What does seem to matter is that a faster bullet requires less follow-through to make an accurate hit.

For example: it is very challengeing to shoot an Olympic air-pistol well without keeping the gun on target for a moment after the shot is fired.

Why? - because the pellet is only travelling at 300 to 400 fps and it stays in the barrel for a comparatively long time. In contrast, a steel challenge load at 1200 to 1400 FPS leaves the barrel sooner after the hammer falls.

Fast, light bullets would appear to be optimal for SC.

We worked out the flight time deltas a while back. At the top levels, they can help. A slug of a bullet heading for the 35-yard stop plate on Speed Option, say, averaging 900 fps, gets there in ~.11 seconds or so. A bullet averaging 1200 fps gets there in ~0.09 sec, for ~.03 advantage. Four runs on that and we're at .12. 0.06 more from Outer Limits and we're right at the margin of victory last year without even adding in the other 6 stages. On down the results, a lot of places are separated by .25 or less. Think of it as one free extra shot. If that's holding you back, then it's worth looking at. Most of us mortals blow more than that one one poor draw.

• 1 month later...

The flight time difference can hurt you also. On a close steel target, with a 1200 + fps load, there is no lag between the round going off and the impact on the steel.

FYI, in the early 80's the Steel challenge was run with the stop timer ON the stop plate. The actual bullet flight time was added to your time. We're talking minimal time but 4 runs x 8 stages = 32 stop plates x time differnence ?? = time off your raw score. Remember most people shot .45's back then at what 700 fps. It seems like forever waiting for a 700 fps bullet to fly 40 yards. Chip McCormick was first to show up with 95 gr. fmj .38supers. The stages had more distance back then too. 40 yd stop plates on some. He was probably a full second faster than anyone just because of his bullet speed.

The flight time difference can hurt you also. On a close steel target, with a 1200 + fps load, there is no lag between the round going off and the impact on the steel.

FYI, in the early 80's the Steel challenge was run with the stop timer ON the stop plate. The actual bullet flight time was added to your time. We're talking minimal time but 4 runs x 8 stages = 32 stop plates x time differnence ?? = time off your raw score. Remember most people shot .45's back then at what 700 fps. It seems like forever waiting for a 700 fps bullet to fly 40 yards. Chip McCormick was first to show up with 95 gr. fmj .38supers. The stages had more distance back then too. 40 yd stop plates on some. He was probably a full second faster than anyone just because of his bullet speed.

They still stop time by impact sensors on the stop plate. Did they used to try and correct for it? eek.