Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want a new laptop

Thomas Moore

I went Mac and I shall definitely say, I will never go back. I got the 15" MacBookPro, upgraded it to 4GB RAM...it is smoking faaasssttt and I love it. My main reason for changing was that I didn't want to use Vista because of all the negative things that I heard about it. I definitely did not regret the decision ^_^

I test systems for a living and I've not liked vista or server 2008. It's like MS went out of their way to make it extra annoying. I went a different route for my latest home system. My wife tried to talk me into a Mac, but spending 3-4x what the hardware is worth was too hard of a pill to swallow (or you can look at it as spending $1000+ for an operating system.) I picked up a Compaq Presario widescreen notebook up for $399 on sale at Fry's over the holiday. Toasted Vista and put Linux on it. I used to hate Linux, but Vista drove me to it. I chose a distribution called Linux Mint, downloaded for free. It installed in about 15 minutes and boots freakin' fast. It took some tweaking to get wireless network working, but now it runs great. It was fast with 1GB of memory, but I went ahead and bumped it to 2GB for $40. I can vpn into my work system for a Windows system as needed, but I'll put an XP image in VMware on this one when I get a chance, just in case. So far, I've found ways to do everything that I could on Windows. Linux really has come a long way in recent years. With the aggravation of Vista and the price of Mac, it's looking pretty damn good. Depends on what you do with it, but for general purpose email and web surfin', why spend a fortune? Not bashing the Mac people, if financial resources were unlimited, I'd like to play with one. Most of my fun money goes into the shooting sports though! ;)

I use a Mac Notebook for my internet forms fun and couldn't be happier after my experience with Vista. I've heard the saying "Once you go Mac, you won't come back." It's true for me. Windows never again!!

I got a new Dell Inspiron 1520 two weeks ago. Damned this thing is fast! So far, I love it! It is definitely llighter than the Inspiron 6000 I have. the specs are posted under another thread here. I did not go with Vista - I got XP and decided to load Office Pro 2003 version (since that is what my other systems are running). I don't think you can get XP from Dell anymore (I think they quit offering it at the end of June).

• 1 month later...

It has been 9 months since I started this post. I finally jumped in with both feet and purchased my first Mac on Saturday. I bought the 15in MacBook Pro at Best Buy at 24 months no interest.

Looks like I'll be using Parallels or VmWare Fusion because I can't find any financial software for the Mac that rivals MS Money.

I'm surprised at how easy the Mac was to pick up and start using right away. It had my wireless configured before it was finished booting and all my Bluetooth input devices paired up with no problems (unlike my windows machine).

Look like the Mac is here to stay.

It has been 9 months since I started this post. I finally jumped in with both feet and purchased my first Mac on Saturday. I bought the 15in MacBook Pro at Best Buy at 24 months no interest.

Looks like I'll be using Parallels or VmWare Fusion because I can't find any financial software for the Mac that rivals MS Money.

I'm surprised at how easy the Mac was to pick up and start using right away. It had my wireless configured before it was finished booting and all my Bluetooth input devices paired up with no problems (unlike my windows machine).

Look like the Mac is here to stay.

Great choice.

Don't tell anyone...but I would seriously consider a M..m..mm.mm..mac the next time.

I can't get over MS - they are now spending $300 million to promote vista...why not spend that money to FIX their OS...scrap vista and whatever the next pile of garbage is and start clean!

I'm a dedicated Windows user but would gladly switch to a Mac except for one thing - I program windows software and you cannot do that on a Mac.

Pick the software you want and let that dictate what you do. As far as I am aware, you can get both Mac and Windows versions of all the software you use, so pick the software you use the most and then which platform has the better implementation.

I really see no point in the average user having to dual boot.

I'm a dedicated Windows user but would gladly switch to a Mac except for one thing - I program windows software and you cannot do that on a Mac.

Don't tell our lead programmer. Our software runs on Windows, Linux, and Solaris. He does it all on his Mac. I think he uses Fusion to run Windows as needed and cross compilers to do the builds. I still code on Windows at work, but I'm running Linux at home.

I really see no point in the average user having to dual boot.

VMware or Parallels are not dual boot options, they are full blown versions of the OS (you choose to load) over the Mac os.

You can switch from Mac to Win environment with a mouse click.

I am forced :P to use it when I need to run the Ez-win scoring software.

Edited by maineshootah

Thomas

I have not read this whole thread, but I can tell you from personal experience ( I went MAC in January of '07 ) I would NEVER even contemplate gong back to a PC

I have a MacBook Pro, my kids have MacBooks.

They are user friendly, never lockup or need to be re-booted or any of that other stuff.

Go Mac, you won't be sorry