Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 08 production gun..maybe.

eerw

wanted to play around a little. so picked up from my FFL a gun for production for 08..

will give a it test in some local matches and practice over the winter..and see if I like the lighter weight..or go back to my trusty SP01..

anyway..picked up a CZ75SA 9mm..pretty nice condition at an attractive price..

made my way to my parts box..and put in a DA/SA trigger, a cut 15# hammer spring, an ext. mag release, and a set of competition sights..

for fun.. I tweaked the trigger spring, recut the ejector, beveled the magwell and recut the hammer hooks..

In actuality..I'll ship it off to Matt and have him do a action job with a comp hammer..and install a set of the flat aluminum grips..

but before then..got a indoor match tomorrow night to play with this..and then off to Matt..so I can work with it against the heavier SP01..

fun afternoon..after finishing up hanging up all the Christmas lights on the house.. :D

Stuart,

I had considered this with Angus a couple of years ago. I had concerns about a gun with the slide marked "CZ-75SA" not being on the production list. I don't think I ever got an official ruling. Might be worth asking someone about this.

Later,

Chuck

I don't think I ever got an official ruling. Might be worth asking someone about this.

Later,

Chuck

Chuck..I wondered about it too..as I really like the frame on this gun..has many of the features of the SP01 frame..but not the light rail. so by coincidence..another shooter asked about this on one of the CZ forums..and he ended up sending an email to John A.

;) I got that email from JA..in my gunbag..

***abbreviated version***

question asked.

"the CZ-75B SA(Single Action) CAN NOT be used to compete in Production Division. If I were to take CZ FACTORY PARTS, and convert the CZ-75B SA into a fully fuctional and safe Double Action/Single Action firearm, using CZ FACTORY PARTS, would that said pistol be allowed in Production Division?"

JA response

"A short version is, when all the exchanges with factory parts is done, you have a CZ 75B double action/single action, which is a legal gun."

I can't understand why a single action CZ-75 is not allowed in production class. CZ makes a single action pistol. Isn't that production? It is a stock pistol. The first CZ that I ever shot was single action. Irv Stone( the Sto in BarSto ) let me shoot his in a match at 29 Palms gun club in '85. Why can't you shoot a stock SA in production class?

I can't understand why a single action CZ-75 is not allowed in production class. CZ makes a single action pistol. Isn't that production? It is a stock pistol. The first CZ that I ever shot was single action. Irv Stone( the Sto in BarSto ) let me shoot his in a match at 29 Palms gun club in '85. Why can't you shoot a stock SA in production class?

Any single action pistols are not allowed in production class as production pistols competing are double action or striker fired pistols. I shot an IDPA match on a Saturday with a guy who was shooting a Browning HP 9mm which is a single action pistol and when we shot the USPSA match on Sunday, he was told the same about production class and told he would need to compete in Limited or Limited 10 minor.

Dumb question here - why not just run a 75B? What is the advantage of the SA?

I have a 75B so I'm curious.

Jeff

The advantage of the SA frame is specifically the beavertail which is more upswept and comfortable to hold on to and shoot compared to the more downswept beavertail on the 75B frame. I personally think it is more comfortable and quite possibly points better than a standard 75B frame.

Stuart (eerw) has the right idea. I've been on the same wave length and mentioned to a friend that this might be just the ideal setup for playing in IDPA for SSP or ESP division and for USPSA production or Limited 10/minor Limited/minor.

I hope you are succesful with the project and your production campaign Stuart!

Edited by Albert

Wouldn't the different frame (beavertail) be considered an external mod and therefore illegal? The rules seem to get a bit squishy in cases like this...

Are you planning on keeping the extended safety?

Hope it works out in your favor Stuart, that'll be a nice setup. Were you ever able to resurrect that hammer I sent you?

Frankly I wish CZ would see the light and make all their guns with the beaver tail. They know it works better because they put it on the SP01, they already make the short dustcover frame for the SA, why in the same of Timmy don't they just build the standard 75/85B's on that frame is beyond me.

Dumb question here - why not just run a 75B? What is the advantage of the SA?

I have a 75B so I'm curious.

Jeff

Hi Jeff..

pretty much what the others have said..

the beavertail is the biggest advantage...it gives me a higher deeper grip..than on the 75b frame..

two other things is that it comes with a slightly ext. and bigger mag release..and it will fit the longer SP01 ext. mag release..it also has ambi ext. safeties..which are not needed..but I like..

Wouldn't the different frame (beavertail) be considered an external mod and therefore illegal? The rules seem to get a bit squishy in cases like this...

Are you planning on keeping the extended safety?

Hope it works out in your favor Stuart, that'll be a nice setup. Were you ever able to resurrect that hammer I sent you?

I been questioning the conversion in general..but never really asked since I am very happy with my SP01..

but since another shooter did ask and got that answer..he fwd the email to me..so I have it in my rule book..

I thought I would go ahead..

I am going to keep the ext safety..as that is the setup I have on my SP01..and like it..

haven't had chance to sit down and play with the hammer yet...too much going on.. :D

I've been thinking about giving a CZ a try for production. I have a couple of questions for the CZ shooters here. Does the SP01 have a bigger grip than a 75B? Or does the SP01 just come with bigger mags? Do all 75Bs have a decocker on them? If they don't, can a decocker beinstalled easily?

Does the SP01 have a bigger grip than a 75B? Or does the SP01 just come with bigger mags?

same size grip as the 75b..just a slightly longer mag..the SP01 has a beavertail and feels slightly more undercut at the triggerguard.

Do all 75Bs have a decocker on them? If they don't, can a decocker beinstalled easily?

only some versions have the decocker.

mainly the SP01 tactical, the 75BD, the P01, the 40P, 75b Police, 75PCR. there probably are a couple more too.

decocker on them? If they don't, can a decocker beinstalled easily?

no..if you want a decocker..have the buy that model..cannot be retrofitted.

eerw- thanks for the reply

No Problem

regarding decocker, is it not needed. can the trigger pull be lighter without it or does that not affect anything?

I don't think so..but some people like the ability to use a lever to decock the gun..the fully decocked position with a decocker is the halfcock notch on the hammer..

if you use a manual safety version..you have to lower manually..holding the hammer as you pull the trigger..no big deal..but you have to lower the hammer all the way down..no big deal again

trigger pull can be made the same on either..but there are fewer people that are willing to work on them..a little more complicated to tear them down..but Angus and Matt will do trick triggers on them. The decocker differs in that it uses the lever and uses only one hammer hook..the other is cut to get past the decocker.

also, is the shadow uspsa legal?

The Shadow is not USPSA legal..as according to Amidon..paperwork and inspection of a Shadow has not been submitted to NROI. The Shadow is IPSC legal though. but we can do more under USPSA rules that allow the custom shop version to be legal..

• 2 weeks later...

:D:D

CZ75SAda.jpg

actually had it together to shoot an indoor match..and it ran great..

pretty simple and basic..

installed an SP01 trigger, CZ sights, CZ ext mag release, CZ grips, beveled the magwell, steel guide rod, 13# hammer spring, 11# recoil spring..polished the FP block and lever.

to come is the CZ comp hammer, action job by Matt..and refit the ext safeties..

Wow man, wow. Just how CZ should have made them in the first place :D

Imagine one of those, but with a full length dust cover ala TS (no rail like the SP01) :wub:

Now ya just have to make the "B" look like a "D" and put a slash in between it and the "SA" :D

:D:D

CZ75SAda.jpg

actually had it together to shoot an indoor match..and it ran great..

pretty simple and basic..

installed an SP01 trigger, CZ sights, CZ ext mag release, CZ grips, beveled the magwell, steel guide rod, 13# hammer spring, 11# recoil spring..polished the FP block and lever.

to come is the CZ comp hammer, action job by Matt..and refit the ext safeties..

Interesting picture Stuart. Where is the thumb safety?

Hi Anthon..

I have most of the internals out..polishing things up a bit..

I ended up replacing the thumbsafeties with another set..as there was a small ding in the original set..so I need to have them fitted up when the action job and new hammer are installed..

Hi Anthon..

I have most of the internals out..polishing things up a bit..

I ended up replacing the thumbsafeties with another set..as there was a small ding in the original set..so I need to have them fitted up when the action job and new hammer are installed..

My SP01 won't mind the ding!