Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB Questions...

Just sort of stumbled into a SDB that appears in really good shape minus, a few parts. I'm not new to reloading but admit, I am new to Dillon and am entirely green on a SDB which seems to me to be, well...different. What I *think* I'd like to do is send the press back to Dillon to be checked out and any missing parts replaced (judging from the manual I downloaded, seems there have been a couple of upgrades as well). I would also need to acquire additional caliber conversions and a couple of add-ons since, if I can get it up-to-speed I'll use it for my highest production caliber(s) and relegate my present (red) equipment to lesser used and rifle calibers. Before committing to purchase any additional items for it I'd like to see what's involved in getting it restored to its original functionality first, though.

I'd welcome any suggestions how to proceed. I guess a call to customer service is the starting point...?

If you shoot USPSA I will guess there is someone at your club who has one or three of the SDBs.... Might give you an in service on the SDB if you ask....?

If you send it to Dillon with a request to change calibers or repair anything broken or missing - it will return to you sparkling and running 100%....

If you shoot USPSA I will guess there is someone at your club who has one or three of the SDBs.... Might give you an in service on the SDB if you ask....?

If you send it to Dillon with a request to change calibers or repair anything broken or missing - it will return to you sparkling and running 100%....

Exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. I don't know of anyone locally running the SD but there are a few using other Dillon models. I think everything will shake out fine once I get the missing parts...looks relatively simple once you get past the rather odd die setup. Although the shell plate area is a little tight on space for access and maintenance purposes it doesn't seem like it will present any problem at all during loading operation. I'm anxious to get it up and running.

I'll call 1st thing tomorrow and see precisely what I need to send back. Since I can't test the powder measure and primer feed I'm thinking best bet is to box it all up (minus some odds & ends that I got with it) and go from there. I will be adding a strong mount, at least 1-caliber conversion, a couple of sets of pickup tubes and other items so hopefully Dillon don't bite me too hard on getting the press back to original condition.

I do have a couple of questions for anyone who cares to comment. 1st, the thing that grabbed me 1st on the SD (unless I'm missing something) is the lack of a simple way to drain powder. Do all you guys completely unbuckle the measure from the powder die & remove fail-safe rod to dump it when done or is there an easier way? 2nd, I shoot a lot of Rainier plated bullets which, as you know, are sensitive to crimp. I use a Lee FCD and have no problems whatsoever...is this gonna' be a problem with the SD dies?

Loosen 1 small bolt and disconnect the failsafe rod and the powder hopper will come off for draining. The bolt and a small part is what holds the powder measure onto the powder die. If my memory is bad, then it's 2 small bolts and the hopper comes off (for sure on the 650).

The SDB is a good little press, but the effort required to run it was killing my arthritis. Their other presses require much less effort. Using case lube is mandatory (and effective) IMHO.

Loosen 1 small bolt and disconnect the failsafe rod and the powder hopper will come off for draining. The bolt and a small part is what holds the powder measure onto the powder die. If my memory is bad, then it's 2 small bolts and the hopper comes off (for sure on the 650).

The SDB is a good little press, but the effort required to run it was killing my arthritis. Their other presses require much less effort. Using case lube is mandatory (and effective) IMHO.

I have two SDB, one in 45 and one in 9mm. Every time I consider adding another caliber via conversion kit, I see a used one for sale and try to buy it instead. After loading 200 rounds of 38spcl last month on my red turret press (not progressive), I'm looking for a 3rd SDB with 38 dies. I would probably toss the red press, but the SDB does not do rifle cartridges, and I'm gonna keep it for that, just in case.

I've never used anything bigger than a SDB, so I didn't realize that it requires more force than others. I've never noticed (or thought) that it was too difficult. Of course, I don't have arthritis (yet), and can't comment on how that may impact reloading.

I have never found it necessary to lube my cases. They run great as-is. Maybe some lube would make it easier yet...

I use Ranier plated, both 9mm and 45, and use the standard dillon dies (only ones you can use). Both calibers run in their resective firearms with no trouble. However, my chambers are not 'match' type, and are loose enought that the crimp is not super critical.

The only trouble I've heard of is with glock-fired 9mm brass. I've heard you can't resize them full length to get the buldge out. Some say it won't chamber in their tight 9-open guns. Mind you, I've only heard rumors of this, and have no direct knowledge of it happening.

Edited by Jeff686

Arthritis really sucks and makes a person take notice of things like that.

I ended up with 3 SDBs by paying attention on E-bay. Never paid more than $200, and 1 of them was NIB.

Lube makes a big difference, but it's something that has to be removed later. Lots of folks here leave it on, but I'm not one of them. Rubbing alcohol on a towel takes the lube right off.

I have never found it necessary to lube my cases. They run great as-is. Maybe some lube would make it easier yet...

I use Ranier plated, both 9mm and 45, and use the standard dillon dies (only ones you can use). Both calibers run in their resective firearms with no trouble. However, my chambers are not 'match' type, and are loose enought that the crimp is not super critical.

The only trouble I've heard of is with glock-fired 9mm brass. I've heard you can't resize them full length to get the buldge out. Some say it won't chamber in their tight 9-open guns. Mind you, I've only heard rumors of this, and have no direct knowledge of it happening.

I did not lube cases for years. I just started recently and it does make a world of difference. The machine runs much more smoothly and quickly with just a quick spray of One Shot over the brass. I will never not lube cases again.

I was having trouble with bulged 9mm cases (mixed casehead once fired range brass) last month. They load and chamber just fine in my Production gun, but I was getting fired cases stuck in the chamber that had to be pounded out with a squib rod. I was advised that acquiring a Lee Factory Crimp Die and running all my loaded ammo through it would solve the problem. Ran about 200 rounds through the pistol (M&P 9mm) without a hitch, so I think I may have the problem licked. I just set the Lee FCD up on a single stage press next to my SDB and run all my loaded rounds through it when I am done on the SDB. It does add a bit of time to reloading, but I can't really afford a 650 right now so this solution will have to do.

Edited by bierman

Thanks, I appreciate it. BTW, you're right about the lube, I use Hornady's "One-Shot"...quick & easy, much less effort.

Doesn't everybody use a ShopVac to suck the powder out of the measure? No, seriously, one bolt loosened and the FS rod off, as JFD describes. Please don't do what I did once, and replace the FS rod w/o retightening the retaining bolt - powder everywhere on the first pull of the handle.

Love OneShot. The rubbing alcohol/towel trick works great. If the smell of isopropyl alcohol makes you gag, you usually can get 70% ethanol in the same pharmacy. A little spray bottle helps - a couple spritzes onto the towel laid flat, spread your rounds in one layer, spritz on top, then a quick rubdown and you're done.

I've actually heard that SDB dies do a little better job than most flared base dies as far as getting the bulge out. That's enough for some chambers, but not others, as was pointed out. So I use the exact same setup - FCD in a single stage press right next to the loaded round bin on the SDB (but I only do this on brass that is proved too bulged on chamber checking the first loaded batch).

Doesn't everybody use a ShopVac to suck the powder out of the measure? No, seriously, one bolt loosened and the FS rod off, as JFD describes. Please don't do what I did once, and replace the FS rod w/o retightening the retaining bolt - powder everywhere on the first pull of the handle.

Good to know...looking at the schematic (press enroute to Dillon), I see what you mean. Just loosen the bellcrank screw & take off the fail-safe rod.

Love OneShot. The rubbing alcohol/towel trick works great. If the smell of isopropyl alcohol makes you gag, you usually can get 70% ethanol in the same pharmacy. A little spray bottle helps - a couple spritzes onto the towel laid flat, spread your rounds in one layer, spritz on top, then a quick rubdown and you're done.

I know people who leave it on with no problems & some even say it's a good thing. One-Shot is so easy to remove I just wipe the finished rounds with a hand towl or one of those heavy-duty paper "shop towels" when doing a post-run check.

I've actually heard that SDB dies do a little better job than most flared base dies as far as getting the bulge out. That's enough for some chambers, but not others, as was pointed out. So I use the exact same setup - FCD in a single stage press right next to the loaded round bin on the SDB (but I only do this on brass that is proved too bulged on chamber checking the first loaded batch).

I shoot 9MM & .45, both in Glocks, I hope the SD does well. I can honestly say I've never seen a bulged case from my guns in either with factory loads or hand loads. In fact, my range loads are nowhere near max and when sized, have very little resistance. In experimentation, I've ran some really high-pressure loads through the 9MM and no signs of deformed brass...just a little primer flatening. The only brass I've seen personally that showed the "bulges" were full-pressure .40 loads from Glock barrels and even then, only on some but not all...guess it depends on the gun, load & brass.

Some may not like it but IMO, the Lee FCD will spoil you a bit and maybe make you a bit lazy. I recently had a friend who had a handful of .45 ACP that wouldn't go fully into battery in his G21. Brought them home and sure enough, failed the case guage by just a tad. Ran them through the FCD on mine and problem solved...all passed the case guage and cycled normally.