Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Hi-Power Trigger Job

ButchW

First off, I don't compete, never will. I don't like shooting 45 ACP and I have shot some of the best 1911's ever made.

What I am after is a target pistol in 9mm to kill paper for personal enjoyment and relaxation. I have a Beretta 92 with a trigger job of about 1.25 lbs. of slop and 3 pounds after that to pull the trigger.

I want better!!!! (My revolvers are in the less that 2 lb. range and crisp.)

I have seen many people shoot Brownings or clones in competitions.

Disabling the mag. safety cuts about 3lbs off a Browning. (And yes, some will have a problem with that, don't care, I always check my gun twice before pulling the trigger.)

Has anyone out there cut down the rest of the trigger assemble? What was your final result?

If I can't get a lot better than what I have in my Beretta, why spend money?

Thanks

Who did the trigger job on your Beretta? My 92G Elite has a very crisp 2.5 lb pull and is my match gun. IF it is as you say "sloppy", it was not done correctly.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know why you hate the 1911 pattern gun, but if you give it a chance, you'd be crazy not to grab a STI trojan in 9mm.

I own a High Power in 9mm, VERY ergonomic gun (I'm not sure that helps me actually shoot it tho). I own an STI in 9mm. Lightyears difference in the trigger. I LOVE my HP, was my first centerfire handgun, but what you are looking to do would best be accomplished by grabbing an STI and call it a day. I don't know if they let any guns go out untested, but I bought mine second hand from this board and it didn't want to lock back. They refit a slide stop for me for no charge. Additionally, you could top it with a .22 kit from Marvel and have another hyperaccurate handgun to shoot cheaply!

As for CZ's .. if you like the ergonomics of the hp, the CZ feels like it was cut out of the same mold (so much so that it is often mislabeled a clone of the HP). I don't know first hand, but triggers are said to be superb on the SA models. I don't know if the Kadet .22 conversion works on an SA frame, but I doubt that any other conversion would match the Marvel in the accuracy department.

Realize that getting a lighter trigger with a clean break is only part of the package to action shooters (this board) .... reset, takeup and overtravel also matter a lot , but probably aren't as important to what you are looking to build.

I have on my list an EAA Witness Gold, CZ Champion & the STI 9mm. But in my area the chances of hold any of those in hand is like winning the state loto. So I am going to check when I visit mom in Akron OH for any specialize gun stores.

I just bought a S&W Model 52 in 38 wadcutter. The trigger is about nothing & 2.25lbs. The first day out I out did everything I ever did with my Beretta 92.

So like I figured trigger weight has a lot to do with "my accuracy" but I am not so sure not if 1.5 lbs. is all that necessary.

I started this tread because I have shot a Browning many times, these other guns I will be lucky to ever hold in hand.

I just know the 1911 & 45 ACP is not my "cup of tea" ... 1911 & 9mm unknown. I was offered a chance to shoot one in the spring so will take the guy up on his offer.

Thanks, Butch

I shoot HiPowers. They work for me, been shooting them for more than 20 years. Having said that, I am for the first time considering a 1911. Why you might ask?

Because if you wish to customize your blaster, there are fewer gunsmiths who do HiPower work. When I first started shooting, there were a few locally and out of state that would do work on my HiPowers. I stopped competing for many years and when I came back THINGS HAD CHANGED!

What was at one time considered the standard of high capacity autos, and a gun ahead of it's time was now just another decent pistol. ( Though many still consider the HiPower a great carry gun.)

My father who completely immersed me in HiPower lore much the same as 1911 afficionados will often of their kin, now carries a Kimber, go figure!

So if you want a HiPower, go ahead and get one. By all means I know I love them! I shoot steel with them. But, I know that as much as it hurts my stubborn pride to say it, I'm starting to look to other platforms, and the 1911 looks best.

It is cheaper to work on than a HiPower because there are more 'smiths that work on them.

It is cheaper because there are more parts manufacturers competing for the 1911 shooters dollar. ( Because there are fewer HiPower shooters out there)

It is the close cousin to the HiPower that shoots single action, and can be holstered cocked and locked.

While I haven't ruled out the others, Glocks the CZs and EAA/Tangfolios, which I think are great guns at great prices, The 1911 is a large, almost over-engineered, pistol that has proven its robust reputation time and again.

Just my .04, JimmyZip

Edited for clarity and spelling

Edited by JimmyZip

• 1 year later...

Probably out of the question but something to consider,other than 9mm,is a 38 super.. Great gun in single stack 1911 that with reloads will go from the light 38 target loading to the flame throwing 357 mag..Feeds and functions with the best and with a decent barrel,Nowlin or equivalent,will be the most accurate non custom auto to be found..Same bullets as the 9mm and mostly the same powders,just trade some of your 9mm brass for 38 super..Easy caliber to reload and with moderate loads brass lasts almost forever..

Maybe not for you but something to think about anyway..

Probably out of the question but something to consider,other than 9mm,is a 38 super.. Great gun in single stack 1911 that with reloads will go from the light 38 target loading to the flame throwing 357 mag..Feeds and functions with the best and with a decent barrel,Nowlin or equivalent,will be the most accurate non custom auto to be found..Same bullets as the 9mm and mostly the same powders,just trade some of your 9mm brass for 38 super..Easy caliber to reload and with moderate loads brass lasts almost forever..

Maybe not for you but something to think about anyway..

I have real small hands / fingers so 1911's are bulky to me and are 2 handed guns. Where most 9mm are single handed and fit well.

I did though do a something a year or so ago when I originally posted this...

http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/beret...customwork.html

My Beretta is now a 1.75 lb pull single action target gun. It will not out shoot my S&W 38 / 357's but at least the groups are not the size of my fist now.

If I had it to do all over again with my current knowledge, I would have bought 2 Taurus pistols, one 9, one 40 and convert one to single action and soften the trigger on the 40 frame but leave double action. Then add a .357 sig barrel into the mix. I would have had 2 target pistols or 3 self defense calibers. (40 is pretty worthless for Bullseye.)

• 1 month later...
I have 2 separate gunsmith who told me flat out don't ever thing about 9mm in 1911 unless I want an ammo grinder.

Bah humbug. (Tens of?)Thousands of us have been shooting 1911s in 9mm for years.

I've been shooting BHP's for almost 50 years,

and if you're looking for a very nice trigger pull,

don't believe you'll ever be happy with anything

on a BHP.

Suggest you look at other guns - don't know

which is better but don't think you'll ever do

well with a BHP - not real accurate either.

I sent mine to EGW for a complete do over,

and it cost $2800 - accurate and the trigger is

okay - but it's not a great trigger.

Jack

on a BHP.

Suggest you look at other guns - don't know

which is better but don't think you'll ever do

well with a BHP - not real accurate either.

I sent mine to EGW for a complete do over,

and it cost $2800 - accurate and the trigger is

okay - but it's not a great trigger.

Jack

I can't quite match your 50 years experience, but I do have a sweet T series BHP that I bought around around the same time I bought my first 1911.

The HP indexes like pointing my finger, is reliable, and is more than accurate enough for self defense, plinking, or casual competition. But even a great HP with trigger job, reliability work, and decent sights pales compared to a similarly customized 1911. I still have my HP, and wouldn't hesitate to carry it or depend on it for self defense, but for competition, the 1911 is light years ahead, especially now that 1911 customization is a bona fide industry. My best 1911s and my 2011 are so nice that everything else feels like a rusty tractor.

Of course, if the OP wants a gun for competition, he should look at what the best shooters in his discipline shoot and use that as a starting point. If he just wants a gun for his personal pleasure, then he shouldn't worry so much about what we think and should get the gun that feels right in his hand.

on a BHP.

Jack

I can't quite match your 50 years experience, but I do have a sweet T series BHP that I bought around around the same time I bought my first 1911.

Of course, if the OP wants a gun for competition, he should look at what the best shooters in his discipline shoot and use that as a starting point. If he just wants a gun for his personal pleasure, then he shouldn't worry so much about what we think and should get the gun that feels right in his hand.

I agree completely. I love my BHP, even though the trigger pull is nowhere as good as my 1911's or my 2011's.

Completely different gun. But, if trigger pull is The Criterion, or accuracy, I'd go with another gun - probably a

CZ or EAA? Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I love the HP too, it was the first center fire pistol I purchased.

The closest pistol I can think of in terms of ergonomics and operation, that would still be competitive in practical shooting, is a CZ SA in 40S&W for Limited 10. The CZ isn't quite as elegant, but with thin grips it is among the most comfortable pistols I've ever held. It also has more potential for a trigger job.

• 3 months later...

I have 2 Cylinder and Slide custom High Powers. One with the factory trigger and a 5# trigger, the other with their 3.5# competition action and wide combat trigger. You can see the second sear lever pin hole in the slide that increases the leverage on the sear. It also has a beavertail that helps me immensely. I can highly recommend this pistol and C&S work. Especially the 3.5# action. It is very shootable.

jeffspics028.jpg

jeffspics029.jpg

I shoot HiPowers. They work for me, been shooting them for more than 20 years. Having said that, I am for the first time considering a 1911. Why you might ask?

Because if you wish to customize your blaster, there are fewer gunsmiths who do HiPower work. When I first started shooting, there were a few locally and out of state that would do work on my HiPowers. I stopped competing for many years and when I came back THINGS HAD CHANGED!

What was at one time considered the standard of high capacity autos, and a gun ahead of it's time was now just another decent pistol. ( Though many still consider the HiPower a great carry gun.)

My father who completely immersed me in HiPower lore much the same as 1911 afficionados will often of their kin, now carries a Kimber, go figure!

So if you want a HiPower, go ahead and get one. By all means I know I love them! I shoot steel with them. But, I know that as much as it hurts my stubborn pride to say it, I'm starting to look to other platforms, and the 1911 looks best.

It is cheaper to work on than a HiPower because there are more 'smiths that work on them.

It is cheaper because there are more parts manufacturers competing for the 1911 shooters dollar. ( Because there are fewer HiPower shooters out there)

It is the close cousin to the HiPower that shoots single action, and can be holstered cocked and locked.

While I haven't ruled out the others, Glocks the CZs and EAA/Tangfolios, which I think are great guns at great prices, The 1911 is a large, almost over-engineered, pistol that has proven its robust reputation time and again.

Just my .04, JimmyZip

Edited for clarity and spelling

Kinda makes me giggle looking back at that.

I eventually ended up shooting a CZ Tactical Sports. Love it and will continue to shoot it into the near future. It's trigger makes my HiPowers feel really bad. I am working on getting a Glock 17 for production, but if you want a great HiPower, the C&S is probably the way to go. I have felt the trigger on them and they are really good, probably the best as far as HiPowers are concerned.

JZ