Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did my iBook just die ?

warpspeed

iBook says the following :

panic(cpu 0): unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook 4,3"

//then a bunch of crap I do not care to type :) //

panic: We are hanging here....

Yeah - no kidding - we are hanging here.

any ideas ?

Try googling the last line you typed from the screen. It seems you are not alone, but there is a command-line fix. Sounds like you got some drive corruption.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/archive/ind...hp/t-13344.html

Try rebooting from the OS CD and see if you can do a disk repair first though...

Edited by EricW

The only problem with that is I do not have the OS discs handy. :(

So I guess I'll have to wait until they are as that seems to be step as I have tried the other stuff I found via Google.

Thanks for the tip, I did not see that one.

The only problem with that is I do not have the OS discs handy. :(

So I guess I'll have to wait until they are as that seems to be step as I have tried the other stuff I found via Google.

Thanks for the tip, I did not see that one.

reboot.

Immediately hold the apple (next to the space bar) and the "S" key at the same time.

Keep holding it down until you start seeing the uber geek speek black background with white text streaming text down your screen.

Release the keys

Now the text should end and say something like.

If you want to make modifications to files:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot to system, but stay in single user mode:

sh /etc/rc

localhost:/ root#

TYPE (no quotes) : "/sbin/fsck -fy" then press enter.

More geek speek will show up on the screen.

It will end after 2-5 minutes with something like:

Your filesystem appears to be "ok" or your filesystem has been modified.

Type (no quotes) : "/sbin/mount -uw / " then press enter

then type reboot.

That should dump any orphaned files or unlinked chains and reboot your computer.

Keep holding it down until you start seeing the uber geek speek black background with white text streaming text down your screen.

Does it make me an uber-geek if I understand what all that stuff is??? :D

By definition, yes. :D:P I use to understand the old DOS stuff but the LINUX makes no sense at all :blink:

Thanks for all the advice but still nothing. I should be able to find the discs today ( They are in storage ) so I hope that solves it.

By definition, yes. :D:P I use to understand the old DOS stuff but the LINUX makes no sense at all :blink:

Thanks for all the advice but still nothing. I should be able to find the discs today ( They are in storage ) so I hope that solves it.

Here is some other ideas.

Hold the option key down on boot.

Or

Assuming it is some weird software glitch, you can

reset the PR-ram. -->

Boot up, hold CMD-ALT-P-R. The computer

boots and reboots immediately, hold these keys

until you have heard the booting sound 3 times.

(3 times rebooting after rebooting;))

Release the keys.

If the computer is booting up normaly, run disk utility.

OR

While boot up while holding the keys CMD-ALT-O-F

A white window should pop up.

Type in exactly, which is set bold:

reset-nvram (then press return)

reset-all (then press return)

The computer should reboot immediately.

If the computer is booting up normaly, run disk utility.

OR

apple link

Edited by maineshootah

The difference here is that it sounds like warpspeed has hit some sort of hardware issue - corrupt disk block or something like that. Kind of tough for the OS to make much difference there, if something critical was at that address - linux would fold just the same under similar circumstances.

Windows will just magically self-corrupt in strange ways - many of them can actually be recovered by a savvy user who can do things like edit the registry and that sort of thing. But, frequently reboots are just required to reset device support and things like that. Re-installs are the suggested fix for the non-expert because its a guaranteed fix - but its like hitting a fly with a wrecking ball.

Of course, I'm a bit biased. I finally got totally pissed at Microsoft. My wife and I got each other Macs for Christmas... ;) I'm typing this on my new (refurb) 17" hi-def MacBook Pro.... :D

Thanks for all the help but I think I have a hardware problem. It will not boot to the disc at all. None of the fancy hold down while booting do anything. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

This thing is old. It was/is a hand me down - hand me down. Used mostly for iTunes by my 14 yo daughter. It is off to my father in laws' MAC guru. I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks again. You guys are the best.

Yes, hardware issue. If a machine will not boot into SUM (Single User Mode) and run a File System Check (fsck), then it is almost always a hardware issue.

Zapping the PRAM will probably not help. Try booting into Open Firmware doing a reset.

To get into Open Firmware reboot and hold Command, O & F during the black screen time until a white screen comes up.

Instead of typing "mac-boot" at the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram

Press Return.

At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all

Press Return.

Then use: mac-boot to get back to OSX.

Good luck, hopefully you have AppleCare and can get this fixed by them on warranty. If not, you may be at an Impasse.

Another thing to try is to connect it to another Mac with a FireWire cable and turn on the bad iBook while holding the T key. This will boot into FW Target mode and mount the iBook HD on the desktop of the other Mac. You should now be able to read the data of and copy out your files, then try running a disk repair using Apple DiskUtility.app from the running Mac into the FW Target mounted drive.

If these extra steps don't get ya' clear, then it probably is a bad logic board. Not worth fixin if this machine is a G3, or a slower G4 one.

Also try resetting Power Management. Info here on how to do that depending on model of iBook:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

Hope this helps,

• 4 weeks later...