Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kel Tec 9

mwx40x40

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the best one was to buy and find out thru actual testing. The reason I posted was because of the mixed results of Kel Tec owners I know including myself. Out of the four folks I know that have the 380's only two of them run 100%. Unfortunately mine is one that does not run 100%. Usually one in 15 to 20 shots fails to eject. KelTec graciously sent me a new extractor, but problem still exist.

I know 5 folks with the 32's and they all run 100% with amazing accuracy considering what they are.

I guess I am going to get one these and see how it does. I will report in later with results.

Interesting thing happened when I went back today to purchase the KelTec 9. I bought like new Kahr Polymer 9mm for $50 more than the Keltec. Trigger felt better and gun felt better. Now I will have to report back on this one.

What was the price on the Kahr? They're usually a lot more than a Kel-Tec.

It was a used one on consignment. I got it for $345 plus tax. New Kel-Tec was $299.

many folks here have have good luck with these little guns. i have not. i've bought 2 new kel-tecs in the 5 weeks. a P11 (their double stack 9mm) and a 380. i've had trouble with both.

P-11 9mm: 230 rounds through it. one mis-feed with a gold-dot bullet. the ejecter broke at 200 rounds and jammed the gun. i replaced the part and have only test fired it but my confidence in it has been shaken.

380: 200 rounds through it. several failures to feed, which i think i've cured, persistent failure to eject/extract every 20 rounds, a magazine failure.

2 of my friends also have the 380s, and both have had trouble to one degree or the other. it seems to be hit or miss with respect to reliability with kel-tecs. i certainly like the 380 and would like to get it running because it is so small and light weight. but it has to be more reliable than it is before that will be the only gun i carry. since i need a pocket gun i can rely on i bought a S&W 340PD - the 12 oz. Centennial Scandium 357. painful recoil but it's reliable. its a little bigger than i like, but similar to the P-11 in overall size. i figure i don't actually have to hit my attacker with the bullet, the muzzle blast ought to scare him to death.

needless to say i'm not pleased with the kel-tecs, but will continue to try to get the 380 to run reliably.

I did the fluff & buff on the .32 and the .380.

They both run, but I haven't more than a few hundred rounds thru either one.

I went into the projects once armed with a .380 AMT back-up.

The next day, I was back to carrying a .45ACP 1911.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Gen 1 P3AT for T&E a few years ago. Put over 900 rounds through it with only 1 jam during the first mag. During quals the frame broke around the mainspring. I sent it back to Kel Tec and they sent me a new Gen 2 P3AT with my original serial # on it. I have since fired that .380 about 300 rounds with zero malfunctions.

We had several officers that had problems with their P3AT's, they sent them back to Kel Tec and now they run 100%. I have found that you do need to keep them lubed because they do not like running dry.

I (never say never) personally don't/won't carry mine as a primary weapon, but as a backup like my buddy Jack says, "they beat a wine bottle!!!!!"

As previously stated, Kel Tec's service policy is 100% no BS.