Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W with Longshot

TBF

Hodgdon lists Longshot for other bullet weights gut not 165 gr. Could calculate with given data, but if you have experience, it would be much appreciated. Loading 165 Golden sabre for 16" carbine.                       Travis F.

In case anyone cares ( Longshot does not seem to be all that popular, but I like it...) A call to Hodgdon confirms that 9.3gr. is probably a good max load for 165gr, but not one they have tested so far. 10gr is max load for 150gr., this has been tested by Hodgdon, but is not included in manual.                      Travis F.

Travis,

I got best accuracy with fast burning powders and 180gr projectiles.

Got best velocity with 135gr Noslers and HS7. Can't find my data, I think I just kept playing until pressures got silly. Velocity was well over 1500fps, I think???? Accuracy was crap. If you go with 7.9grains Winchester WSF and 150gr JHP you should get around 1400fps. This was the best combination of accuracy and speed.

165gr JHP with 6.6gr WSF = 1290fps.

GM,   Thanks for the info. If you run across that HS7 data  please pass it on, I am working on loads for 16" bbl. carbine. Shot some test loads the other day. 165gs over 9.0 longshot is excellent accuracy wise and VERY hard shooting, my chrono needs more light than available indoors, or I would pass on that info. This load SLAUGHTERS pins...            Travis F.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a jug of Longshot for use in the .40 and the .357 SIG. I haven't used it yet but Hodgdon promises some exceptional velocity and low pressure. If their data is true, Longshot should be an outstanding powder for the .40.

Anybody tried it with a 180 grain cast bullet at major PF?

Tokarev (new to the board)

• 4 years later...

BTT, old thread just wondering if anyone else has used it for limited. I've got a bunch of clays (anyone want some?), some 231 and am going to buy some universal, and titegroup to tinker with. I've been looking at the hodgon site and they are posting serious speedwith longshot and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with it. I will be working with plated 165gr and 180gr for an STI tactical in .40. I am very new to loading for .40, as in my dies were ordered an hour ago. I am looking for 170-173PF, is longshot only good for super hotstuff? Thanks in advance, I tried to search and this was most of what came up.

Jason

Hodgdon lists Longshot for other bullet weights gut not 165 gr. Could calculate with given data, but if you have experience, it would be much appreciated. Loading 165 Golden sabre for 16" carbine.                       Travis F.

From the Hodgdon 2007 Annual.

165gr Sierra JHP

Longshot - 7.3gr (1139 vel) - 7.8gr (1185 vel)

COL - 1.125"

As previously stated - FULLY SUPPORTED BARRELS.

I use Longshot for hot 10mm. I load 13.2gr under a Nosler HP, shoot them out of a Glock 20 with a 6" KKM barrel. I average between 1810fps to 1825fps. It is a smoking hot load. I have tried it in 40, it is very hot also. I have a Glock 24 with a 6" KKM barrel I need to chrono them out of. I got the 40 load from Hodgdon's website. The 10mm load from McNett on Glock Talk's 10mm reloading forum. Here is a link to Hodgdons site.Hodgdon's Site.

I have had 135's at 1500 and 180's at 1150 out of a stock G22 using it, 135's were Nosler JHP and the 180 was a Golden Bullets 180 FMJ. No pressure problems at all, in fact the cases were closer to original sizes than a couple of factory loads indicating that pressures weren't high at all.

I use Longshot for hot 10mm. I load 13.2gr under a Nosler HP, shoot them out of a Glock 20 with a 6" KKM barrel. I average between 1810fps to 1825fps. It is a smoking hot load. I have tried it in 40, it is very hot also. I have a Glock 24 with a 6" KKM barrel I need to chrono them out of. I got the 40 load from Hodgdon's website. The 10mm load from McNett on Glock Talk's 10mm reloading forum. Here is a link to Hodgdons site.Hodgdon's Site.

What weight Nosler HP were you getting 1800+ fps? I've got a Smith 610 that I want to work up some hot loads for trail protection rather than buy the expensive Cor-Bon Hunter stuff. I'm certain it can handle the pressure, so it should be fun to see what I can get out of it....have some Longshot on hand to try as well.

Bart, Power Pistol is the one for bullets heavier than 135's. 180's over 1200 fps is pretty easy to do at factory 40 lengths. For 135's Longshot is king though Power Pistol isn't far behind.

The only 135 JHP I know of is the Nosler, and it is a pretty soft bullet for the speeds we are talking about. It fragments almost instantly at 1500, would be an AWESOME coyote/mountain lion load but anything heavier would have me picking a different load.

I tried a few 165gr loads in a carbine (a Kel-Tec Sub2000 if it matters).

7.5gr: 1321fps

7.8gr: 1347fps (also got 1147 out of a 5" bbl if you're curious)

Loaded to 1.135 OAL

Heavy recoil, even in the carbine. Lots of muzzle flash in the 5" bbl gun. I haven't shot the carbine at night or indoors so I can't say how the flash is with that.

No signs of overpressure, although Hodgdon has reduced their recommended max load to 7.5: http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/longshot/40sw.htm

• 11 years later...

7.5 Grains of Longshot with a 180 Hornady XTP produced 1,061 fps. In my 3.3 inch barrel XDS. In my 4 inch barrel  XD-40 4.0 7.2 grains of Longshot produced  1,055 fps. 7.5 grains of Longshot in the small XDS thumps your hand pretty good. Didn't try it in my 4 inch barrel but plan to. 

Edited by WesleyO45