Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Sear Spring

chp5

Hey Bob, if the springs are the same I should have found a bad one. :blink:

Myself and a friend had the following problem:

What happened is that the spring slept to its left side and goes next to the sear it seems that the spring wasn't wide enough .

Both springs were Clark 4 blades springs.

The gun could just fire the first round then the hammer followed every time.

Both guns used STI Grips one had a STI Frame and the other had a SPS frame.

It seems too that grips does not all have the same location for the sear spring, some appears to be higher (SPS) and so I've had to recut a bit the springs for disconnector clearence.

And when using those springs in STI grip, they are too short :(

It is my feeling that the spring's cavity in the S_I was slightly wider than for a single stack. Before the SVI spring, we often had to bend, slightly to the right, the very top part of the left leaf of a standard 1911 spring to keep it from occasionally slipping off the sear. That's why when Sandy designed the new spring, he made it slightly wider at the bottom, to keep the sear spring correctly positioned on the sear. And I believe you may have to file the width of an SVI spring to fit it in some single stacks.

be

Julien,

I have run into the same problem with the Clark springs and stopped using them.

Brian,

I run into that problem every once in a while and usually do tweak the spring to the right.

Also make sure your grip screws are tight, I have seen quite a few guns that would have intermittant problems and we tracked it back to the grip screws loosening up enough to allow the grip to spread just enough to cause problems with the sear spring. Also check your grip safety I have seen them mash down the frame and peen a small piece of plastic out far enough to drag on the sear spring.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

FYI - I pulled my sear spring out of my Kimber and put it in my Edge (Nowlin I believe). I've fired approx 1500 through the Edge with no problems.