Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bob Lum

eerw

Just got the heartbreaking word..

my cousin Bob Lum lost his battel with cancer. He passed away Tuesday Dec. 4.

He was a truly talented artisan....we talked a lot about photos, cameras, guns, knives, fishing..

I will miss him..his passion for creating..his passion for all the good things in life..

I'm always sorry to hear when true talent is taken from us... his work was top notch.

Are you related to him Mitch?

That was the running joke between us. In 2001 I attended my first big knife show - OKCA in his town of Eugene, OR. Bob and Jean's son is a few years younger than me, so people just saw my nametag and thought I was Bob and Jean's son! I had an hour long conversation with one knifemaker who at the end of our conversation said "tell your dad I said hi". It was pretty funny! So for the knifeshows, it's like Bob and Jean had adopted me.

I guess while I'm reminiscing, I'll share a picture of one my favorite pieces (only wish I had the opportunity to own one). Truly a unique style and grind - the Chinese Fighter with sabre tip grind. Bob being multifaceted also took this great photo!

sabretip.jpg

I'm always sorry to hear when true talent is taken from us... his work was top notch.

Are you related to him Mitch?

That was the running joke between us. In 2001 I attended my first big knife show - OKCA in his town of Eugene, OR. Bob and Jean's son is a few years younger than me, so people just saw my nametag and thought I was Bob and Jean's son! I had an hour long conversation with one knifemaker who at the end of our conversation said "tell your dad I said hi". It was pretty funny! So for the knifeshows, it's like Bob and Jean had adopted me.

I guess while I'm reminiscing, I'll share a picture of one my favorite pieces (only wish I had the opportunity to own one). Truly a unique style and grind - the Chinese Fighter with sabre tip grind. Bob being multifaceted also took this great photo!

sabretip.jpg

Truly a work of art.

That's why I asked... I try not to assume anything. It's a bit like assuming all Smith's are related.

Prayers to the family...

Jim

Was looking through some of my stuff..and had put this away..

this is knife #6 that Bob had built and given to my dad. You can see the hand scribed Lum characters and #6.

When Bob started making folders..one of the first he gave to my mother..

post-627-1196913075.jpg

post-627-1196913062.jpg

I have a couple of Bob's production folders that he had created with Spyderco..

His Chinese folder and a Titanium Tanto

post-627-1196914342.jpg

Edited by eerw

Thanks..

you know..there are people that just make an impact on your life..be it they enter for fleeting moment or they are there much more..its all the same..and we are better for it.

I will miss him.