Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm moving in 6mo and want to check out potential for shooting

Washington, PA

Northern Washington county is basically a suburb of Pittsburgh.

You have 5 active clubs in the Pittsburgh area. Within a 3 hour drive that doubles.

Other good things.

Close to the Airport

Less than a days drive from most of the major east coast cities and beaches

It's Pittsburgh

The Steelers

Gun Friendly Area

You get to experience all four seasons

Short drive to the mountains

Good Skiing in PA and WV

Doug forgot a few other things about living in Washington PA.

The Pens

Iron City beer

Fantastic fireworks displays in Pittsburgh

A chance to expand the English language with terms like Yinz, N'at, redd up, dahntown(down town)

A chance to sample cusine like perogies and Primanti Bros "Almost famous sandwiches"

Friendly folks

Great bike trails if you are into biking/trail riding.

Rumor has it that there is a Major League Baseball team in Pittsburgh but I don't think they have showed up for several years. That's OK as there is the Washington Wild Things a minor league team that provides great games and fun right in Washington, PA.

The PONY League World Series is held in Washington, PA

Great place to raise kids

Affordable housing.

Cabella's is less than an hour away in Wheeling, WVA

You don't pay sales tax on food or clothes but you can't beer in a grocery store.

If you live in south western PA you learn early in life to appreciate sunny days. Sunny days can get to be as rare as hen's teeth at times! :surprise:

With the profession you are in, the healthcare that is available in the Pittsbugh area is arguably second to none anywhere in the country. Places like UPMC & Allegheny General are world renowned for their achieviements in medicine such as cancer research, organ transplant, burn clinics, children's hospital and cardiology.

Let us know what you decide - I'm sure Mike, Doug or I can help you out in some way if you make the move here

Good luck in your decision & residency wherever you decide to go.

steelers.gif

steelers07.gif

Affordable housing might be an understatement. Check out www.bestplaces.net and look at the ccost of living section. The Pittsburgh MSA the median house costs only 56% of the national average.

Residency will keep you VERY busy, and when you do have a free weekend, you'll be coming off call and tired.

If you love shooting and the mountains, make sure they're close to where you'll be living. Getting there when you have little time off and are already bushed will sap some of the fun/relaxation factor.

Speaking from experience,

Kevin C, M.D.

• 3 months later...
Today was the match. I found out that I'm moving to Washington, PA, sometime in May or June! I'll be there for 3 years of Family Medicine residency training.

It's time to start scoping out ranges, clubs, and competitions.

Chris

Welcome to Area 8!!!!!

Links to clubs in the area can be found on www.uspsa8.org/clubs.htm

If you get here before Memorial Day the Area 8 Championship is being held at East Huntingdon Sportsman Assoc. Even if you can't shoot come on out and Say Hi!

See you on the range!

Alan