Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Ridge Moutain 3 Gun Championship

The above post reminded me to advertise the new CPWSA hotel booking and recommendation services. For a small fee I'll be happy to book your match hotel. We have two options. The first is our adventure package, for which, as you see above, anything goes. The second option is for those who prefer to not have fighting in the adjacent room or gunfire and dead bodies in the parking lot. For this option, you simply stay somewhere other than where we book or recommend. <_<

Now that was funny! :roflol: I don't care who you are.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The above post reminded me to advertise the new CPWSA hotel booking and recommendation services. For a small fee I'll be happy to book your match hotel. We have two options. The first is our adventure package, for which, as you see above, anything goes. The second option is for those who prefer to not have fighting in the adjacent room or gunfire and dead bodies in the parking lot. For this option, you simply stay somewhere other than where we book or recommend. <_<

Now that was funny! :roflol: I don't care who you are.

10-4 on the funny. I bet it wasn't his first rodeo either

I've been shooting 3 gun for a long time and I've shot in some beautiful natural terrain but this was without a doubt the best match I've ever shot. It is truely Rocky Mountain East and everyone who missed it, blew it. It was also the most difficult match I've ever shot.

Two 2 gun stages and eight 3 gun stages; rifle shots to 420 yards - five of the stages had shots to 300 yards or more; one 3 gun stage had you moving and engaging targets with all three guns for 140 yards; another shotgun/rifle had you moving and engaging targets for nearly 100 yards; stage 9 used all three guns in and out of a 120 foot long barn and it had a pistol shot that was 76 yards. There were challanges for everyone - regardless of your skill level.

Andy put on one hell of a match and Mike Oberman did and outstanding job as RM. And the RO's? There were 16 of us with Brett floating around to fix props, relieve RO's so they could finish the match and make sure everything ran smoothly. Because we were short Andy split us up and some of us ran two stages (I worked 1 and 6) but it all worked out and we finished on time. And Linda had the results out less than an hour after the last shot was fired.

For those who missed it, don't make the same mistake next year.

And for those of you who shot it, come on back!

Yes, Andy and Mike did a great job on this one!! Great people, great RO's, great prize table, great place to shoot a match!! I suspect that we will be back next year for this one. Lots of people shot the side match too!! We went thru almost 5000 rounds of .22rf!!!

Looking forward to the next one already

Tim

What a great match, location, and match staff. Andy and his whole crew did a wonderful job. From what I saw, not one problem.

Everyone in my squad agreed that this match should have been considered a National Championship. It tested every aspect of 3-Gun shooting. A mix of speed, accuracy, and gun handling that really tested every level of competitors. The use of different targets and their own scoring system added more diversity to each competitors approach to a given stage.

I look forward to next year trip to Virginia.

On a personal note.... you can drop that spinning target from next years match. I had a terrible time with that damn thing. I finally got it to spin after firing 29 shots at it!!! After viewing the video and hearing my running comments, I now know why my squad had a good laugh. I have to admit, I had to laugh at myself too.

Bruce Piatt

Preach on Brother Piatt! That thing ate my lunch. I was about to get it over after about 12 shots when I lost track of which end was coming and going. Ended up putting what was to be my last round into the thing, which reversed what momentum I had just prior to it making the necessary revolution. :angry2: I felt that spinner added a certain carnival component to the match, but hey, it's easy to say that after the fact, if you end up with penalty points there as I did. It's one thing to get penalized for not hitting a target, but hitting a target 10 or 12 times and still taking a bunch of penalities on it is just plain mean. <_< As someone mentioned earlier, a very humbling match.

Edited by cpty1

I completely disagree. After watching Bruce shoot that thing, I think there ought to be one on every single stage!

We truly live in a time of a renaissance of 3 gun matches. Think about all the great matches out there! In the past few months we've had Ft. Benning, Superstition Mountain and now Blue Ridge Mountain. And there are more to come!

This match was absolutely fantastic. It was the most challenging 3 gun that I have ever shot. It was a perfect balance of speed and accuracy. My squad and I really liked the points down (for time added) scoring system as opposed to the "2 hits anywhere-I'm good with 2 Ds" system used by everybody else. I wouldn't mind seeing this scoring system or something similar adopted by all major 3 gun matches (I'm looking at you, Superstition Mountain!). The stages were great and for once a 3 gun match focused on some real rifle shooting (I'm looking at you, USPSA Multigun!). The stages involved a lot of technical shooting, some memory work (what am I supposed to shoot at now!!), and a lot of movement. And I even got to beat Daniel on a couple - but only a couple!

Thanks again to Andy, his wonderful staff and the sponsors, especially those ROS who ran their butts off! That match was tough to shoot but it was really tough to RO!

What a great match. I am so tired of shooting the rifle at pistol distances. This was really a test of everyones skills. The stages were challenging and fun to shoot. I feel the same as some others, that this could be a national championship type match. I have never been to a range that has this type of terrain and availability to shoot such varied courses of fire on every stage. I can't wait until next year. The best match I have ever shot. GREAT. :popcorn1:

On a personal note.... you can drop that spinning target from next years match. I had a terrible time with that damn thing. I finally got it to spin after firing 29 shots at it!!! After viewing the video and hearing my running comments, I now know why my squad had a good laugh. I have to admit, I had to laugh at myself too.

Bruce Piatt

Heck!

That was one of my best stages!

I guess it helps when you own one of those great MGM spinners.. :roflol:

First, let me start by thanking Andy , Mike , Linda, the ROs and the entire Blue Ridge 3 Gun Match Support Staff for a great Match and the ample helping of Southern Hospitality the "Dirty Jersey Team" received. :)

I would also like to thank my fellow competitors on Squad 19 for all the advice that they gave to three relative newcomers to the sport. :cheers:

See you next year !!!!!

Iggyort

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to add my congratulations and thanks to Andy and Mike for putting on a fantastic match. I did not speak with a single shooter who didn't shake his head and say: "WOW, that was the most difficult match I have ever shot, in the most beautiful setting, and, for a first effort, ran great." ... and of course those are my feelings as well.

I sincerely hope that this match will be held again next year, if so I'll be among the first to tender my entry. From a match sponsorship perspective (TechwearUSA), I felt that Andy did his utmost to make sure that we were visible and recognized, and I will increase my sponsorship for 2009.

Once again, GREAT JOB GUYS !!

Best regards to all

Bob Novak

TechwearUSA.com

Hello everyone. I just wanted to add my congrats to Andy, Tammi, Mike, Linda and the rest of the HARD-working staff who made this match possible. What a beautiful setting and from what I heard from the 3-gunners, this was truly a challenging match...I am looking forward to next year. :D

For those on Squad 17, thank you for letting me hang-out with ya'll. What a fabulous group of men! One of the best squads I have had the pleasure of working with.

To my NEW girl friends, Deb and Cheryl, it was a pleasure getting to know you and I look forward to seeing you at matches in the future. :)

Congrats to all the winners and a big thank you to the sponsors. With out you and your support, these matches couldn't and wouldn't be what they are. To the RO's, my hat is off to you! Thank you for an outstanding job you did.

S

OH and I forgot to add the news about our lovely stay at the Super 8 in Lynchburg.

We awoke about 2am Sunday morning to a prom after party gone bad in the adjoining room to ours. A fight ensued :sight: and someone took an ass whipping poorly and came back shortly after to pop a cap in the back of the one who dealt the ass whipping(killing him dead of course).We didn't bother to go out and get involved.....instead just loaded up and took cover between the beds while they were outside killing each other. So needless to say.....we exited the room about 6am to see the crime scene investigation van doing there business while we checked out with gun cases in hand. Nothing like a little gunfire before the last day of the match. We definitely know where not to stay next year.

:surprise:

Can someone tell me who makes the flash targets that were used on stage 10? (the stage with the spinner) as well as one of the other stages.. I forget now..

NOT the MGM full flash targets, but the smaller flash targets that had the round target plate that when hit had a neon painted back plate that would rock up showing the hit.

I know we shot them a few times on some of the stages that were around 80 - 150 yards with the rifle. Stage 10 I think had them in pairs, two on one stand to the left, and two on one stand to the right.

Anyone?

:cheers:

What a match, it was easily the most challenging that I've ever shot.

This was a splendid effort and an instant classic. Everything went as smooth as if they'd been doing it for 20 years (at least from where I was standing).

Hats off to everyone involved, Mr. Horner, Mrs. Chico, Mike Oberman, and the rest of the staff, also the shooters. A big BZ to the RO staff, a bunch of tough (as in resilient, not hard-ass) birds for sure.

Thanks too to the VERY generous sponsors who help make all this possible.

I think that this match (hope so too) will be an inspiration/influence to 3-gun. They've definitely raised the bar.

Mike

Mike called them IronMan flashers. They belong to CTI.

YIKES!! They didn't seem to have that many of them last year, I knew that's where I'd seen them though. This year's CTI is going be even better than last. There must be something in the water.

Since this was my first open terrain three gun and first trip with CPWSA travel services, I'm hoping they are all this exciting. I especially enjoyed the 300+ yard rifle targets with iron sights and the gang bangers shooting it out in the parking lot. It is something to find the local POPO digging bullets out of the motel walls at 0700.

Don't let anyone kid you though, ONE of our group at the Super 8 slept through everything up until bullit called to make sure we were armed and behind cover...

The sponsor support was fantastic and this match showed any weakness in your ability to shoot, move, keep mental focus...Hitting with a rifle at 400 yards is one thing from a good comfy prone but is something entirely different after shooting 35 or so handgun and shotgun rounds while traversing 100 or so yards to the rifle position.

Many thanks to everyone (even CPWSA Travel- BTW Where are we staying for the FNH?) who made this match possible. I'm looking forward to next year.