Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pull Ups

Putty

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read an article on improving pull-ups from an olympian that talked about how to improve reps.

He said you should never do pullups to failure, always do 70% of your max, three sets a day, spread out over the day.

If you go to muscle failure you'll shock the central nervous system and will not develop the muscular strength

as efficient as developing your strength. Every two weeks, re-eval your max, and go up from there.

So if 10's your max, you would do 3x7 reps a day, for two weeks then check your max.

Also remember proper form, kipping (swinging) your body is not a pullup, some crossfit requires kipping (100 reps) but if you want to improve,

dead hang, pull yourself up, head over the bar, and come down all the way. one rep.

• 2 weeks later...
been doin this P90x gig for a while now, started phase 3.

in the beginning, i was about 7 pull ups, now im doing about 150ish......

so it works :)

The P90X workout and the pull-ups have worked well for me. However, all of the pull-ups have given me some tendonitis in both arms. I'm gripping too hard I guess. I used to use wrist straps back in my days of doing pull-ups with plates strapped to my waist. The pace is too fast in P90X to be jacking with the straps.

150 pull ups in one set?

or 150 pull ups per day?

20-30 per set, 150 within an hour.

i could prolly max out with 40ish in one set

All I can say is, if you can do 40 propper pull ups in one set.........you are one bad man :goof:

Edited by rangertrace

He must be shaped like a "V" .

when i get done w/ P90x, the workout sheet you fill out when you do day one asks for max reps of pull ups. ill tell ya how many i can do in one set.

its really cool. i found these things i never had before.

"lats"

:roflol:

i could rock out 20 under hand no sweat, then go wide maybe another 10, then closed grip overhand the rest of the way.

i use one of those door frame pullup bars. they work great, minus damaging my paint on the molding, even with socks padding it :(

i have to thicken up the bars too, they are too thin for my fingers and make the pads hurt. so i take a wash cloth and wrap it to make it thicker. it also makes my forearms work harder cause you have to "squeeze" it harder :)

its ok though, small price to pay. i just cross my legs and stick my heels on my butt.

i pull up breathing in, and elbow lock out breathing out..... and i get busy :)

friday was legs and back for me, so i got some pullups knocked out:

reverse grip pull ups:

round 1 20

round 2 17

wide front pull ups

round 1 20

round 2 17

closed grip overhand pull ups

round 1 17

round 2 13 :(

switch grip pull ups (3 reverse, then 3 overhand, then switch)

round 1 16

round 2 15

for some reason my forearms got a super pump, and wore out early on this workout??? i think it was the engine/transmission i pulled out on thursday at work that wore my arms out prematurely (i work out before i go to work)....normally i can do at least do 20 my first round thru :(

at least my minimum 15 second time thru

I made up for it though :)

i dug a 60 foot trench 4"x8", and a 40 foot trench 6"x8" of wet clay/sand base. HEAVY!!! dumping into a wheel barrow, going to driveway where truck is, scooping into truck, taking truck somewheres and shoveling it out.

filled the back of the truck up twice, and hit my overloads both times in my F250 superduty :surprise:

got that hammered out in about 6-7 hours of work. my everything is sore!

if that didnt work my shoulders and arms out, i dont know what would have :roflol:

I just finished my first Classic P90x round and am going into lean now.

I could do about 3 pull ups when I started now I can do 10 and get about 56-60 total during the work out.

It is a incredible program if you stick with it, I dropped 20 lbs and did nothing diet related, just the program 6 days a week. And like halogrinder said I to am finding muscles I have never seen before as well as endurance.

I honestly believe this is a great physical trainer for the shooting sport, it encourages more than just strength. It incorporates some Yoga, Kempo, Plyo , so balance and range of movement is improved greatly.

I am 48 in January, I have a torn medial meniscus, and am a cancer survivor. I still could do the program, maybe not the pace of the guys on the DVD but like Tony Horten says " Do your best , forget the rest" , if you do that..."your best" you will see results. And all though I am new to shooting in the USPSA from my short experience thus far that motto will serve me well shooting in matches.

As it is I tell my self two things when going to the box now....."Slow is smooth. smooth is fast" and " Do your best , forget the rest"

congrats on finishing! its hard to stick with it!

im 28 and a mechanic with a "so so/muscular" build so my results are different than 20 years my senior. im also using suppliments as well. (black powder/anabolic switch/WAR/PRONOS protein/GNC mega man/essiential FA)

i did chest/shoulders/tris with ab ripper today, tomorrow morning is plyometrics with a 1 1/2 mile run afterwards.

i had a right torn medial miniscus torn too, now i have an extra soul with me at all times (some dead person is in my knee)

guys, if you havent tried plyometrics, you need to try it. talk about zipping around a stage after doing it for a while! the amount of quickness and agility is insane! my nephews and cousins HATE it when plyometrics and myself come out to play foot ball with them :devil:

after P90x, ill be doing P90x+, then a vid called insane, then maybe cross fit.

im more fit than i have ever been in my life. 4 years of highskool football and wrestling isnt anything like this.

-climbing the fitness mountain one jump knee tuck at a time :D

Edited by halogrinder

its always cool to talk with someone else sticking with it, I know I have a glow in my eyes when I talk about it to poeple who see the change in my fitness. I think it is hard for those who have yet to do this to understand the appreciation for the program, hell I think I sold about 3 -4 programs from people I know who saw me and wanted in, I guess I should have done their sales program :rolleyes:

Plyo and Legs and Back are the two I love to hate and followed by Yoga, the biggest bummer about Yoga is the bar on the TV says 1 hr 30 minutes. And for me its one hour and 30 minutes of sweat and suffering....lol Let me tell everyone..Yoga may sound kinda NON-masculine, especially to all us gun toten, super cool shoot'n folks but I sure admire the folks who do it correctly a lot more!

And I agree, for zipping around a little COF, keeping your balance when coming to hard stops, cutting corners you cannot beat it. I have been playing competitive tournament paintball nationally, a sport I played from the beginning and today the tournaments are owned by the 17-25 year old for the most part, I love the sport and have been in it since 1985, as a player, field owner and proshop owner, this program of fitness has done wonders to allow me to still compete against the youth, it just hurts more the next day for me! P90x does not seem to help bruises and welts :surprise:

Oh well, it appears I got typing more than I originally intended, sorry for the rant.

If you got 1hr to 1.5 hours a day you can spend doing this 6 days out of the week AND you will stick to it.......BUY IT! you will not be sorry, you will see improvement in your times on the range as well as many other benefits.

im 28 and a mechanic with a "so so/muscular" build so my results are different than 20 years my senior. im also using suppliments as well. (black powder/anabolic switch/WAR/PRONOS protein/GNC mega man/essiential FA)

i did chest/shoulders/tris with ab ripper today, tomorrow morning is plyometrics with a 1 1/2 mile run afterwards.

i had a right torn medial miniscus torn too, now i have an extra soul with me at all times (some dead person is in my knee)

guys, if you havent tried plyometrics, you need to try it. talk about zipping around a stage after doing it for a while! the amount of quickness and agility is insane! my nephews and cousins HATE it when plyometrics and myself come out to play foot ball with them :devil:

im more fit than i have ever been in my life. 4 years of highskool football and wrestling isnt anything like this.

I would save your money on the P90X+. My wife and Finished P90X a few months ago. We really liked it and thought we would try the Plus too. Your opinion my vary, but it just doesn't feel anything like the original. Its not harder, its just differrent and I never get the isolated pumps that I did with P90X. It does have a couple of cardio workouts that are pretty good and we're using them with the original, just for variety. They have to come up with new workouts to make money I guess.

We're on week 10 for the 2nd time, but we're only doing 1/2 of the resistance days this time. Hopefully my tendonitis will go away and we'll do the whole thing again after the first of the year.

I would save your money on the P90X+. My wife and Finished P90X a few months ago. We really liked it and thought we would try the Plus too. Your opinion my vary, but it just doesn't feel anything like the original. Its not harder, its just differrent and I never get the isolated pumps that I did with P90X. It does have a couple of cardio workouts that are pretty good and we're using them with the original, just for variety. They have to come up with new workouts to make money I guess.

We're on week 10 for the 2nd time, but we're only doing 1/2 of the resistance days this time. Hopefully my tendonitis will go away and we'll do the whole thing again after the first of the year.

i have P90, P90x and P90x+ already.......

heck all i can do is try it and report when im done. i wont know if it sucks unless i do it! :roflol:

there are my favorites in P90x as well. i LOVE core synergistics, LOVE chest/shoulders/triceps and Shoulders/Bi's/Tris.

heck i enjoy doing all of them really. each one pounds a different spot on me :D

You guys have really inspired me to get back to some basic PT. After a bad arm injury in 2005 I could not hold a book in my right hand, I could not put my right arm on a bicycle (it would give out), and I was resigned to never really using my right arm again. A doctor told me that I would be lucky to get 50% function back with little strength. I was confined to desk work, and was actually writing with my left hand when I came out of the sling.I was shooting left hand only, not even thinking about competing. Then I got to talking with my daughter's gymnastics coach, a fabulous teacher from Russia(actually Belarus) and she gave me some stretching exercises and told me get a Neuromuscular massage therapist (they are different than regular therapist for the whole body) and she worked on my chest and arm muscles for about 6 weeks at 3 times per week. The coach also let me use the gym-it was empty a lot because my daughter's practices wee real early or late or on Sat AM around 7. I hung from the high bar at first then started little min-pull ups, and finally I got one pull-up from bent arms. In six months I was up to five dead hang pull ups. She also encouraged me to do push-ups, first with right arm tucked in and then the regular way. Fortunately I have no intrinsic joint injury to my shoulder, so that is not a worry-it was a distraction type nerve and muscle injury. I knew I was back when I could shoot my jump shot and point my index finger all the way down on the follow through. That took three years. There is still some residual, but compared to what was and what some others have to deal with, it is not even on my radar now. I agree with all of you who suggest multiple sessions with multiple reps. This was all done outside the usual "health care" field with advice and instruction from people who had experience and knew what they were talking about. I admire and am inspired by all of you who contribute to this and similar threads. Thanks. Pull ups are great-all kinds. They feel good too!

i have been recovering from dual carpal tunnel repairs from last year myself, injury and surgery SUCK to recover from :(

Yup it sucks, that's why I love threads like this-I feel like I have company!

p90x is geared more towards making you look good. (If that is what you are after, cool)

If you want fitness, and you like pullups (lol), try CrossFit.

Really.

Jake, I am never going to look good :roflol: So I will try CrossFit! I appreciate your advice. As soon as I figure out how to video myself correctly-gonna sign up for your video teaching (sorry about the drift).

p90x is geared more towards making you look good. (If that is what you are after, cool)

If you want fitness, and you like pullups (lol), try CrossFit.

Really.

Well Hell, if you can't shoot good, mind as well look good shooting :cheers:

Been doing some research on Crossfit and it looks quite intense and will get you in shape no doubt, doing anything to increase your fitness is better than sitting around doing nothing.

P90x is more than a look good though for me, I honestly am quicker and stronger, the biggest thing for me and for others to consider is where you want to do this, a gym? garage? living room? and when...

I thought I might do the crossfit but I just do not have the room for all the cool stuff and going to a gym, well the whole getting there and back and working out is not for me. For me, the living room with some dumbbells and a pull up bar at a whim get it done.

As with Jake Di Vita and crossfit, if you have questions on the P90x system it sounds like there are shooters here to help, its a great community all bases covered by fellow shooters, do not think it gets better than this.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, I did the Crossfit kipping pullups in the past but do strict deadhang pullups now. I think the kipping greatly increases the chance of shoulder injury. Also, I got better at kipping pullups, but didn't see strong correlation to increasing my dead hang pullups.

Now I do weighted 3 x 5 dead hang pullups. I'm trying to increase my pullup strength the same way as I would increase my deadlifts: loaded the exercise till your at your 5 rep max, do three sets, increase the weight when you can, i.e. Starting Strength style.

Edited by Leozinho

I think the kipping greatly increases the chance of shoulder injury.

Do you have any data to support this claim? I find it to be the exact opposite in myself and my clients.

Also, I got better at kipping pullups, but didn't see strong correlation to increasing my dead hang pullups.

Again I'd like to see the data, also with information about your fueling and recovery. I saw a very strong link between my number of kipping pullups vs. number of deadhangs. With doing strictly kipping pullups for the last 6 months, I've increased my deadhang numbers from 9 to 21, and can do a weighted pull-up with more than 2/3rds bodyweight. This data would seem to fly directly in contrast with your claim?

5x5 weighted pullups definitely are a great supplemental exercise for a strength routine.

Even at the "elite" level for me at a bw of just over 150 that would be:

193# bench x 21

310# dead x 21

38# weighted pullups x 21

93# curls x 21

Those numbers really aren't that staggering. The benching would be tough for me, but then again, I haven't bench pressed in about 2 years.

As far as a great test for s & c:

Out of the 10 general physical skills (cardiovascular endurance, strength, stamina, flexibility, speed, power, coordination, accuracy, agility, balance) I only see 2 maybe 3 of those domains tested. Not a bad test, but not a very complete test.

I think the kipping greatly increases the chance of shoulder injury.

Do you have any data to support this claim? I find it to be the exact opposite in myself and my clients.

Also, I got better at kipping pullups, but didn't see strong correlation to increasing my dead hang pullups.

Again I'd like to see the data, also with information about your fueling and recovery. I saw a very strong link between my number of kipping pullups vs. number of deadhangs. With doing strictly kipping pullups for the last 6 months, I've increased my deadhang numbers from 9 to 21, and can do a weighted pull-up with more than 2/3rds bodyweight. This data would seem to fly directly in contrast with your claim?

5x5 weighted pullups definitely are a great supplemental exercise for a strength routine.

Controlled dead hang pullup vs flailing around a pullup bar. Which one do you think would greatly increase the chances of a shoulder injury?

No data, but Glassman doesn't trust scientific studies nor does he release any data, either :). Rob of Mtnathlete does talk about it. I think Even-esh doesn't allow kipping pullups. I don't want to argue it (there are enough people arguing it all over the internet already), but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that Crossfitters suffer a lot of injuries. High rep O-lifts for time while already fatigued, flailing around a pullup bar...you shouldn't be suprised there a lot of injuries.

Also, I'm not a hater. I started the first Crossfit thread here and gushed so much about it that someone question whether I was spamming the board.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=crossfit

To sum up my experience with Crossfit: It got me better at doing Crossfit, especially the metcon stuff. I had already lifted off and on for years, and I didn't gain any absolute strength. If your sport isn't Crossfit (and none of mine are), then something more sport specific and tailored to the needs of your activity is better. If all you want is some generic GPP, Crossfit is very good. Just be smart and avoid injuries.

Edited by Leozinho