Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aperture sight on Savage 24F

David Sinko

I shot a round of trap the other day with my late model Savage 24F. For those who don't know, this is a .30-30 barrel over a 12 Gauge barrel. This is the most useful and versatile field gun I own but I had a terrible time hitting the clay birds with it. The problem is I need to hold the front sight way up over the rear sight to get the shotgun barrel to hit. I would like to put an aperture sight on this gun, figuring it would be much easier to hold the front sight on top of the aperture if necessary. The goal would be to sight in for the upper rifle barrel and then hold accordingly for the shotgun barrel. Does anybody know if an aperture sight could be mounted on the combo gun, or what location, or what the front sight height would be? Is there any variation of the Williams that would fit this gun? I'm willing to pay for gunsmith installation if that is the only route. This may sound silly but I really love this cheap gun and would like to make it work better on the clay birds while still making good hits with the rifle barrel.

Dave Sinko

I would offer this as an opinion, and don't take it the wrong way, but it sounds like your trying to shoot moving targets using "rifle techniques".

While it's posible to do that on slow, predictible, targets, meaning focusing on the sights and not the target, you'll find it much easier to virtually "ignore" the sights and focus entirely on the target.

Before you add any sights, I'd try something different first. After mounting your gun, and before you call for the bird, lift your eyes(not your head) over and beyond the sights to focus on the coming bird.

That's if I read your post correctly.