Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 6" Gun

PaulW

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That thing is too sexy too shoot. Will it be ready in time for the Open or State, I would love to fondle it. :rolleyes: I hear if you leave corn on the ground around camp they come right up and you can shoot them with a pistol and no dragging involved but you have to see well at night.

Well I got out Sunday for my first test drive. This is probably, no it is, the most accurate pistol I have ever owned! Now I have not shot a lot of iron sights in years and this was the easiest gun to shoot. I had 2 different loads, one was 4.2 of TG and the other was 4.6 of TG, both under a 180 gr JHP Zero. The 4.6 was 174 pf!!! I had mixed the bag of 4.2 and 4.6 and had a magazine full that I knew were 4.6 so I was not able to Chrono the 4.2. But I'm thinking 4.2 - 4.3 will make major and 4.4 should keep me in the safe zone. Shot some awesome groups and I had set a 6" plate out about 40 yards that I must have shot and set up about a dozen times. I never missed the plate! Love the way the gun feels (like a bank vault), love the way it shoots and it looks freakin awesome as well.

Thanks Dan Bedell!! As many have said "Your the Man!"

• 2 weeks later...

This gun is awesome. Like I said I make no claim in being an iron sight expert, but this gun is accurate and easy to shoot. I was using 4.6 of TG with a 180 bullet that chrono'd at 174.9 pf! So I can even bring that down a few tenths. My biggest problem was wanting to look over the gun, thats from years of open shooting. And of course my index was low for the same reason, that will just take some time. Gun ran 100% with a variety of mags and such. I love this gun and want to get it Ion Bonded but don't want to part with it. Shot it next to DP's 5 inch gun, which shoots awesome. Recoil was about the same (although same load chrono'd 171.9pf out of his gun). Sight picture radius was the thing I noticed most. Just seemed easier for me to ding those plates with the 6 inch gun. Although DP had no problem dinging them with his 5" gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have not had the chance to actually shoot a match with the new gun, but have had the chance to practice a few times. One thing right off the bat I like is that it is making about 8 pf higher than a 5 inch gun. I chrono'd yesterday 4.4 TG with 180 JHP and it was at 172pf. So I could go down a tenth or two. The gun groups awesome....very very accurate gun. We were shooting a Texas Star from 35 yards away. My biggest thing is remember to focus more on the front sight. I have shot open for so long I am so use to Target focus that it may take a little time. Gun has run flawless through about 800 rds. Smooth , soft, accurate .... what else could you ask for. Oh yea, it is lighter than any 5 inch gun I have felt.

It really is a no-brainer against the 5" gun isn't it Paul? Everyone I know that can actually call a shot walks away from a 6" gun shaking their head, wondering why it took them this long to figure it out. Most people just haven't shot one. Dan puts out some mighty fine iron too, so you have it all wrapped up in a super sweet package.

Well I have not had the chance to actually shoot a match with the new gun, but have had the chance to practice a few times. One thing right off the bat I like is that it is making about 8 pf higher than a 5 inch gun. I chrono'd yesterday 4.4 TG with 180 JHP and it was at 172pf. So I could go down a tenth or two. The gun groups awesome....very very accurate gun. We were shooting a Texas Star from 35 yards away. My biggest thing is remember to focus more on the front sight. I have shot open for so long I am so use to Target focus that it may take a little time. Gun has run flawless through about 800 rds. Smooth , soft, accurate .... what else could you ask for. Oh yea, it is lighter than any 5 inch gun I have felt.

Paul or Dan,

Which brand of barrel did you use in that pistol?

**THREAD DRIFT****

Hey Dan, what do you think of my new avitar? Not a Rune like yours but, it's still a Valkyrie!!

Ok, back on topic!

Barrel is a KKM bushing barrel.

Also I am NOT running a guide rod. After playing with the gun with the 6" 2-piece guide rod I like that way it feels and shoots without the guide rod. Plus breakdown of the upper is so much easier.

Barrel is a KKM bushing barrel.

Also I am NOT running a guide rod. After playing with the gun with the 6" 2-piece guide rod I like that way it feels and shoots without the guide rod. Plus breakdown of the upper is so much easier.

Do you have a picture of this? I'm having a hard time with a visual....

No, No...no guide rod at all. Just the reverse plug and a standard part that the recoil springs sits on that goes against the frame. Just like the 1911 was originally designed.

No rod at all eh? Hmph. :unsure:

EDIT: Very nice looking gun Paul. ;)

Edited by JThompson

The 'government' rod IS the stubby short piece that Paul is using as Dan mentioned. For those that like the idea of a full length rod but don't want the weight you can get aluminum rods that weigh less than the piece Paul is using, or make your own out of Delrin and a guide rod head for an even lighter weight.

Paul, play with the weight of the reverse plug, that will mess with your head.....

No, No...no guide rod at all. Just the reverse plug and a standard part that the recoil springs sits on that goes against the frame. Just like the 1911 was originally designed.

Paul,

That part is the recoil spring guide.

I was wondering WTH. Makes sense now. Either way it's a sexy gun.

The 'government' rod IS the stubby short piece that Paul is using as Dan mentioned. For those that like the idea of a full length rod but don't want the weight you can get aluminum rods that weigh less than the piece Paul is using, or make your own out of Delrin and a guide rod head for an even lighter weight.

Paul, play with the weight of the reverse plug, that will mess with your head.....

I'm glad it was explained to me in ways I understood. I thought, NO GUIDE ROD AT ALL????

I felt like that guy in the back seat of the movie Super Troopers...I thought I WAS FREEKIN' OUT MAN...hahaha