Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nyle Leatham

benos

I first met Nyle at the Factory Gun Nationals in 1995. He impressed me then, as he always did, as a true gentleman. It was one of my dreams to one day have his photos illustrate one of my articles, and it finally happened with my piece for the Book of the 1911 on the first-ever USPSA Single Stack Nationals. It was an honor to have that dream finally fulfilled, even one time.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nyle was a great man. I have known him for at least 30 years and wish it could have been longer. My thoughts and condolences will be with all the Leatham family.

Frank Glenn

Frank,

Thanks for becoming a member, just so your thoughts and feelings for Nyle and with the Leatham family. You are the best.

This has revived so many memories for me - its' overwhelming. Since the weekend, I've thought about so many wonderful times, especially with regard to Nyle, my dad, Robbie, Rondy, you, and more. I still remember meeting you for the first time, probably sometime in '79 at a PPC match. I was a beginner at PPC, and was so excited to be at my first match. I learned from a friend that you were the AZ State King of PPC... And I couldn't wait to go milk you for info. But my friend said - "Don't waste your time, he won't tell you anything." But I didn't listen to him, introduced myself, and, as Doug and I used to say - stuck in the IV. What a great memory that is. You thoughtfully answered all my questions, and I made a new friend. Then not much later I learned that my "friend" was the a-hole. And had a good laugh as I realized why he said what he said to me about you.

Thanks Frank.

Brian

Sharon and I would like to offer our condolences to the Leatham family. Nyle was a wonderful person and will leave a void that will be impossible to fill. I had the opportunity to visit with Nyle many times and enjoyed everyone of them. For several years Carol and Nyle took photos of all the shooters at the Desert Classic and then made sure each shooter got his picture. I still have those and now they mean even more to me.

Don and Sharon Bednorz

As I was walking this evening, enjoying a spectacular Arizona sunset, I remembered a wonderful thing Nyle did for my best friend in the world, Rondy Neill.

Over the years, Rondy and I spent a lot of time together at Rio Salado. Almost every time we were there he would point out the giant, classic Saguaro cactus, that's just to the left of the top of the mountain behind the range. He just loved that cactus. He loved it so much, that when he was dying from Lou Gehrig's disease, he asked if I would spread his ashes at the base of the cactus.

When he was not able to come to the range any more, Nyle brought out some sort of huge camera with a giant lens and took a picture of Rondy's cactus from Bay 2. It was an amazing photograph. I had no idea such a clear picture could be taken from such a distance. Then he framed it and gave it to Rondy. Rondy just loved it. He hung it on the wall at the end of his bed so that he could look at it all the time.

be

Right you are Brian!!

That was the guy Nyle was!!

I learned so much form him!!

He gave me that though kind of education that only an experienced educator can give.

I will miss him so much.

Y

I will

As I was walking this evening, enjoying a spectacular Arizona sunset, I remembered a wonderful thing Nyle did for my best friend in the world, Rondy Neill.

Over the years, Rondy and I spent a lot of time together at Rio Salado. Almost every time we were there he would point out the giant, classic Saguaro cactus, that's just to the left of the top of the mountain behind the range. He just loved that cactus. He loved it so much, that when he was dying from Lou Gehrig's disease, he asked if I would spread his ashes at the base of the cactus.

When he was not able to come to the range any more, Nyle brought out some sort of huge camera with a giant lens and took a picture of Rondy's cactus from Bay 2. It was an amazing photograph. I had no idea such a clear picture could be taken from such a distance. Then he framed it and gave it to Rondy. Rondy just loved it. He hung it on the wall at the end of his bed so that he could look at it all the time.

be

be

That's my kind of people. I'm sorry I never got the chance to meet him.

Nyle was a wonderful man and will be greatly missed. He and Carol were always a pleasure to talk to, no matter where I ran into them. One of my favorite memories of Nyle is of him crouching behind a small wall, getting photos of the moon coming up over the mountains in Colorado at the San Juan Shooting Range. The moon itself was great, the photos awsome and the man unforgetable. He had so much to share and was willing to do so.

My thoughts and prayers to the whole family

Ruth Wilmot - Yuma, AZ and Montrose, CO

I've been pretty reminiscent today... I was remembering that it was Nyle who first introduced me to Mike Dillon.

I had returned from my first "out of AZ" match - the Cota De Caza match in CA, in 1981 - where I'd won a Ruger Redhawk. Whewhoo! Now if I could just turn that thing into bullets I'd be all set for some more practice. I was showing the revolver to Robbie and Nyle, trying to figure out what to do with it, when Nyle said, "I know someone who will trade you a reloading press for it." He told me a little about Mike and what he was doing. It sounded like a great deal for me, so soon we were off to Scottsdale to meet with him.

I still remember the event real well. Mike was working in a real small warehouse-shop space. He showed me most of the current press offerings and said he could make something way better than anything that's ever been sold. At the time, he was working on the RL 1000, and the RL 300. I remember looking at the 4-station RL 300 and thinking, man, I could really crank out some ammo on that thing. (I was loading on a Lyman single stage.)

I still remember the subtle expression on Mike's face as he was looking over the Redhawk. It was obvious he didn't have any interest whatsoever in that thing. He was just doing me a favor because of his friend Nyle.

be

I am another one of the people who did not have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Leatham. Over the course of reading this thread. I believe that our sport and more so this world is better place for having some one like Nyle in it. I have also just lost an old good friend and that might be the biggest reason that this thread caught my eye. I am very glad that BE and others have shared some of these great stories that we all have about some one or some thing that has moved us in our lives, and it is a breath of fresh air to get the opportunity to read them. Thank Brian.

This may be just a little of topic so I am sorry for that if it is. I miss my friend Shane! I love you bro. My hearts are with friends and the family of Nyle Leatham.

I am so very sorry for your loss. What a great man.

God Bless you all and thank you all for being the best group of people that I have had the chance to get to know. What a great community!

Todd

Edited for : I guess I cannot spell tonight

Edited by Turbo23

Lisa Munson and I had the pleasure of receiving a private tour of Dillon Precision guided by Nyle. This was just two weeks before his passing. I am now very thankful for that visit and for the wonderful stories he told us that day!

Nyle is greatly missed by all of us!!

Debbie Keehart

Nyle always had a fantastic smile on his face and was always open to give me advise on my photography. I've know him for more than 30 years and always respected the man his views on life and his wonderful photography. I wish Robbie and his family the bbest in this time but knowing so many people loved Nyle I hope that helps limit the pain.

Lyle and I are very sad for the Leatham family. We know Nyle loved his family and his pictures as we all do. We will keep all of you in our prayers and hearts. It is never easy to lose someone you love. But with all of the family and friends and memories it helps with the pain. Love Lyle and Laura and family

I have been a close friend of Rob's for several years now, and being part of his inner circle I had the privildge of attending Nyle's funeral today........I starting spending time with Nyle in the early 90's.....he was always out at the range taking pictures........what else.....he was interested in me as he always wondered why more law enforcement officers were not involved in the shooting sports.......at the time, I was one of.......maybe one or two that shot at Rio Salado on a regular basis..........we had many discussions about this.......I have several pictures that he took of me that I will cherish forever.........I came across one today after the funeral that he took of me when I was shooting one summer day when Rob, Larry Vickers and myself were out at Rio shooting....it was the first time I met Larry and I remember thinking "Dude, why are you out here in Arizona in the freakin Summer time?"........

One other picture that Nyle took was of me at my second Bianchi Cup........that was last year, 2006, he and Carol drove the motorhome out there, and I remember Rob telling me he didn't think the motorhome would make it..........it did, and Nyle was able to take the coolest picture of me shooting that I will ever have...........a few weeks after the match......while at a family get together at Rob and Kippi's, Nyle cornered me (more about this in a minute), he told me that he took a picture of me at Bianchi that he wanted me to have.........I stopped by Nyle and Carol's house a few days later and he gave me the picture......I was shooting the mover....(not very well by the way), and the picture captures the flight of the bullet as it streaks across the red background of the wall at the mover........the gun has not started to unlock yet...........Nyle said he has taken millions of shooting pictures and he has only captured that a few times.......

I will end it with a funny story about Rob, Nyle and myself........the Leathams would have family get togethers at Rob and Kippi's and on the times that Nyle and I would be there together, Nyle had this nack (part of me thinks he had no intention of doing it, but the other part of me thinks he knew exactly what he was doing) of corning me, and talking with me for an hour at a time.........I really enjoyed the talks, and Rob would stand behind Nyle making faces at me trying to get me to laugh, or not pay attention to the conversation.............those times were really funny..........I guess you would have to have been there........

Rob told me a long time ago..........."the most important thing you can give someone is your time"..........so make the most of it....for you never know when that time will end...........I will miss Nyle.

Steve H