Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Cleanest Burning Powder

megaman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirtiest---- Old formula Unique followed closely by fffg.

Cleanest---VV 3n37

At least that has been my experience with mid velocity (pf 150 -160) loads in 9mm. Thats not major and maybe some of the other powders would work better at higher pressures but at this load level the VV is far above anything I've tryed before.

If one wants to talk economy, has anyone ever heard of or tryed Rex powders?

• 7 years later...

Dirtyest - AA#7 this stuff will shut any properly fit gun down in 200 rounds, if you have acc-u-rails don't even think about it. Imagine small bits of gravel in you gun. Magnum primers and 175pf or higher it cleans up a bit.

Cleanest - N320

TiteGroup - Dirty, violent, and excessively hot.

After reading all the posts here, I am totally baffled. I guess I should just stick with my old reliable Bullseye.

Either Hodgdon's Clays, or, as was mentioned, Vit 320, is way cleaner, and softer recoiling, than Bullseys.

be

After reading all the posts here, I am totally baffled. I guess I should just stick with my old reliable Bullseye.

Either Hodgdon's Clays, or, as was mentioned, Vit 320, is way cleaner, and softer recoiling, than Bullseys.

be

Softer recoiling? How can that be, slower burn rate? And what rounds are you loading with it?

• 3 weeks later...

Palmetto...

Yeah, I read these posts then go to other boards who all have DIFFERENT comments about the same powders.. :mellow:

I agree the 'old' Unique was dirty...I loaded for a short time in the mid 80's while shooting .44 mag competition.

BUT...just like you have your go-to...Unique is mine. Why?

1. There are recipes for all my calibers in all the bullet variations I load. B)

2. It's a compressed load from .40 down...can't double charge...well, you could, but having to use the shop vac on stage 2 is a dead giveaway :roflol:

3. It's right in the middle cost-wise.

4. Never had any bad powder (yet..knock wood). Was at the range once and witnessed what could only be described as a 1911 turned into a musket pistol. Click..ssss...BOOM!...ssss....lot's of smoke. When I asked the guy what powder he was using I think he said something like "HS123" ? He shot about two more rounds and packed it up...grumbling about the powder. Again, my Unique loads always go boom.

5. Since I clean my weapons after every range visit...dirty is relative. I also only shoot at an outdoor range. :unsure:

5. I don't major or minor...I just load range rounds. My carry ammo is always factory. So for me..Unique works fine.

Oh..and I have tried others...I also like #2 and #5 but there are no recipes for all calibers using these. I am actually looking at Power Pistol and Tite Group for some loads...might work them out over the winter for some snow days at the range.

Palmetto...

Yeah, I read these posts then go to other boards who all have DIFFERENT comments about the same powders.. :mellow:

I agree the 'old' Unique was dirty...I loaded for a short time in the mid 80's while shooting .44 mag competition.

BUT...just like you have your go-to...Unique is mine. Why?

1. There are recipes for all my calibers in all the bullet variations I load. B)

2. It's a compressed load from .40 down...can't double charge...well, you could, but having to use the shop vac on stage 2 is a dead giveaway :roflol:

3. It's right in the middle cost-wise.

4. Never had any bad powder (yet..knock wood). Was at the range once and witnessed what could only be described as a 1911 turned into a musket pistol. Click..ssss...BOOM!...ssss....lot's of smoke. When I asked the guy what powder he was using I think he said something like "HS123" ? He shot about two more rounds and packed it up...grumbling about the powder. Again, my Unique loads always go boom.

5. Since I clean my weapons after every range visit...dirty is relative. I also only shoot at an outdoor range. :unsure:

5. I don't major or minor...I just load range rounds. My carry ammo is always factory. So for me..Unique works fine.

Oh..and I have tried others...I also like #2 and #5 but there are no recipes for all calibers using these. I am actually looking at Power Pistol and Tite Group for some loads...might work them out over the winter for some snow days at the range.

You lost me with number 5... J/K

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

After shooting several thousand rounds of 38 WCF, 28 Special and 44 mag loaded with Goex fffg and ffg, none of the other powders seem to be very dirty or smokey :devil:

I am running Clays and Unique in the auto loaders and don't really see any major dirtyness with either.

Cleanest - Winchester Super Target.

We don't get Titegroup or Clays in Australia, but of the powders I have tried (Blue Dot, Red Dot, 231 and WST) the cleanest, and the best performer IMHO, is WST. ;)

Yes you do. Clays is AS30, Clays International is AS50 and Clays Universal is AP70. They are not the only powders ADI sell to Hogdons either.

Peter

• 4 years later...

I only reload 2 calibers....9mm and .38 Special. Years ago I started reloading with Bullseye. It fed through the powder measure fine, was accurate, but VERY dirty.

Switched to Winchester 231. Feeds fine, is accurate, and is clean burning. Great stuff!

But back the loads down with any of those and your velocity spreads will go all over the place.

be,

Are you sure? Titegroup was specifically designed to have consistent burn characteristics at reduced charge weights in large pistol casings.

I know that's how its billed Duane, but I never had any luck with it for light (135 gr @ 1000 fps) loads.

be

I've been running Titegroup at a little over minor PF, loaded at 1.155" OAL. I tried a lower charge with a shorter OAL and found my muzzle was filthy in under 50rds. Normally I don't see much of anything after a full day of shooting (250rds).

Cleanest burning powders I've tried:

- for Minor 9mm, 38 short colt, and .45 major: Clays/Clay dot, American Select, and Nobel Vectan GM3

- for Major 38 super: N350

Edited by Bamboo

But back the loads down with any of those and your velocity spreads will go all over the place.

be,

Are you sure? Titegroup was specifically designed to have consistent burn characteristics at reduced charge weights in large pistol casings.

I know that's how its billed Duane, but I never had any luck with it for light (135 gr @ 1000 fps) loads.

be

I've been running Titegroup at a little over minor PF, loaded at 1.155" OAL. I tried a lower charge with a shorter OAL and found my muzzle was filthy in under 50rds. Normally I don't see much of anything after a full day of shooting (250rds).

I have a theory about that. Higher charges of TG, and other powders I suspect, burn the length of the barrel, forcing everything including ash and unburnt powder out, leaving little behind. Reducing the load reduces the length of burn, which leaves residue inside and outside the barrel. That explanation may be clear as mud, so think of it this way: If you hold a water hose pointed straight up and just barely turn it on, water dribbles out the end and the hose, along with your hand, gets wet. Turn the water pressure on full, and the water shoots out the end of the hose and very little, if any drips down the hose.

• 3 years later...

I'm sorry to revive such an old thread, which has already had a couple of lives. I did search and found this and one other thread for clean(er/est) powder.

I'm looking to start reloading for light 38s, maybe 38 short colt and light/minor 9mm, all for revolver.

From what I read in this thread and the other one, is that it is "Hodgdon Clays" that is clean(er) at light power loads. Any more latest comments/inputs will be appreciated.

I use Clays (Australian) in 9mm and .45 ACP.  Very clean in both - can make Minor/Major in .45 - only minor in 9mm with 200gr bullets in .45 and 125/130 in 9mm.  Also use Tula SRMP primers which may also help clean burning.

Unfortunately, you cannot get Australian Clays or Tula primers presently, so unless you have them the information isn't very helpful.

I use canadian Clays for a lot of my cast/coated mild 9mm loads and really like it. It's clean, and bulky enough to see the powder level in the case with small charge weights. Someone in another thread mentioned large weight variations with Australian Clays, but I've never seen that with the Canadian version; it drops +/- a tenth in my Dillon. 

• 2 months later...