Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Cleanest Burning Powder

megaman

i'll be the first to admit that i haven't shot a lot of different podwers i find something that works and stick to it. however i am not opposed to trying new stuff, and if it cuts back on the clean up afterwards all the better. i have tryed hodgkins titegroup and sp-2 and both of them are pretty dirty. but with my limited experience maybe they're the cleanest, i don't know. maybe it's my lube, i use FP-10. any suggestions on how i can spend more time shooting and less time cleaning?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I started using VihtaVuori powders I never wanted to use anything else. Although there are alot of threads about VV powders being dirty at certain pressures.

The dirtiest I ever found was the old formulation of Unique :( . The new formulation is better, but not as good as VV.

Hey Flex,

You would hate my room at the moment. Well over 25 different rifle and pistol powders. I have about 100lbs of powder stored either in the loading room or in the garden shed. All stored safely and correctly.

If there is a fire you will find me directing the Fire Dept. from up the road. :D:D

I started using Titegroup, like, 12, 000 rounds ago. I've found it extraordinarily clean (5,000 rounds without cleaning and the gun's still smooth) but then I load to Major pf. I've had several knowledgeable people tell me TG is very dirty at less than Major pf. But that doesn't really make sense to me. If I can believe the Hodgdon load manual, my .45 ACP match load with 4.7-gr. TG only generates circa 7,000 psi. If it's true that TG only gets dirty at low pressures, I'd think you simply wouldn't be able to get the pressures low enough for that to start happening in high pressure cartdidges like 9mm Para and .40 S&W.

Loading TG at 9mm minor is dirty for me, at least with a 147 bullet. I get a brown haze on the forward parts of the frame and slide, front sight too.

I think it may be a factor of low pressure for each cartridge, relatively speaking? I don't load .45...

SA

My SS revo gets the brown haze on it all the time at the front of the cylinder and the nose of the barrel. I just let it there and tell people I had the gun finished that way. It really torks some people who know better.

Dirtiest of all time: OLD unique with light loads.

Cleanest I have found so far: Clays ( straight Clays not International or Universal )

Clays is not really well suited for anything but mild loads, but excells when powerful loads are

not needed.

Tightgroup is not what I would call REALLY dirty, but spotless it is not.

Travis F.

I've posted before in various threads that I had prblems with VV N320. It was drity. I loaded by numbers in the VV manual. Those numbers are not accurate. I chronoed, adjusted my load, and have a very clean load now. At low pressures it sucked. At the pressures I'm loading now, it's very clean.

maybe i'm a neat freak when it comes to my guns, but that gray haze in the front of my stainless slide....oh well like in all sports our equiptment gets dirty. i'm going try some of the vv powders for my open blaster now that the well of sp-2 is almost dry. whats the cleanest of the 3n/n3-something group.

For light loads in a Revo I have not found anything cleaner than Solo 1000. It used to be made by Scott Powders but I believe Accurate bought them out. As far as autos Unique is clean in the smaller cases, (9MM and 38 supers) if loaded on the warm side. At least that is what I have found out over the years. And I am still looking for that magic powder that does it all.

I agree with much of what the others have said. Years ago I shot Scot Powder (Solo 1500) and learned that it was the cleanest powder period. You coulds clean the gun and fire 100 rounds and could barely tell tha that the gun has been fired. It was explained to me that Scot was Nitro-cotton based instead of nitro-cellulose like most powders were. Shame that stuff is no longer readily available. Beyond Scot I have had the best results from the V V powders as long as they are kept with reasonably high pressures (close to max published loads or higher). Most powders will get dirtier as pressure and heat are too low to completely burn the powder charge and the remaining unburned powder spreads through the gun. Many people had to change powders when USPSA changed the power factor a while back. I had loads using W-296 and H-110 that we so dirty at the new power factor that the chamber had to be brushed out between stages to keep the gun feeding. I now use N-110 and N-105 with much better results. You can see powder residue but I can shoot the gun almost indefinitely between cleaning. About a year is my record and only guilt (and an upcoming state match) made me clean the gun.

Leo

I've posted before in various threads that I had prblems with VV N320. It was drity. I loaded by numbers in the VV manual. Those numbers are not accurate. I chronoed, adjusted my load, and have a very clean load now. At low pressures it sucked. At the pressures I'm loading now, it's very clean.

I've been having problems getting N340 to burn cleanly in my 45ACP & 40 cal (stock GLOCK barrels).

How much did you have to diddle with the N320 load before you got a clean burn?

Appreciate your info.

Old Newguy, I used to load my rounds pretty long (shoot them through a revolver) and had a 4.9 grain N320 load with a light to medium crimp. To make it cleaner (as a by-product to making major PF) I put more crimp on the case, threw in 5.2 grains (to make major) and made it shorter (went from 1.268" to from 1.248"). All those things throw the pressure up and make the powder burn better. It's not dirty anymore. I used to clean my gun between stages, or my reloads would suck. Now I don't have to clean my gun after a whole match :)

So I didn't have to diddle much. Just do the things that make it burn better. Since you shoot a Glock, you might want to try magnum primers. Whatever you do, do it safely :) Be safe with the pressures in stock glock .40 barrels. I have a friend here on the forum, who shoots N340 through a stock barrel .40 Glock. He has a very clean load. I saw him post here:

http://64.62.172.100/~brianeno/index.php?a...t=ST&f=4&t=5674

Maybe you can PM him about the exact specs on the load. I shot his gun with that particular load and it's really nice and clean.

And I have to say, with the higher pressure/better burning, the gun really shoots much better (opposite of my expectations).

Good luck,

Bjorn

The cleanest load I ever shot was a large spoonful (17gr?) of H110 in my 9x25. The fired cases were still shiny inside and out. But.. dropping the PF down some caused huge amounts of crud. So, it all depends..

Straight Clays is pretty clean, or at least the cleanest of the powders I use. Titegroup IS NOT clean, I just don't buy into it being the cleanest powder on the market lie. After about 300 rounds, my pistol is caked in residue from that powder, and I use very little oil on my pistol as well.

I ran out of my old standbys a while back (W231 and Bullseye) and needed 100 rounds ASAP so I loaded up some Blue Dot that I had sitting on the shelf..... I should have left it on the shelf where it belonged. It was so dirty that I was not only having large quantities of unburned flakes landing on my arms but the gun eventually locked up and wouldn't feed. Definitely not the optimum powder for light loads in a 1911.

On the positive side I just started using Clays and really like it, very clean.

Most powders burn cleaner as pressure is increased.

Bluedot burns fairly well at max press 45acp, if you don't mind a little muzzle flash.

At 35000+psi. ( not 45acp ) H110 burns pretty clean, and alot of other powders do too.

H110 is one of my favorite 357 powders.

Travis F.

Titegroup IS NOT clean, I just don't buy into it being the cleanest powder on the market lie.

"Lie" is a pretty strong word. I'm simply recounting my experiences, and the experiences of Allan Jones, head ballistician at Speer, who reports Titegroup as being literally twice as clean as any other powder Speer has ever tested. That may not match your experience, but I assure you that neither of us is lying.

Getting the optimum burn in a smaller case is pretty easy just because of the higher pressures involved. Getting a good burn in 45ACP is a another animal altogether - especially with light loads. Go too light and you're just flat out not getting full combustion and there's crap going everywhere. Been there - done that......way too many times as a matter of fact. Every powder, no matter how "clean" it is, needs adequate pressure before it can strut its stuff.

Titegroup's been good to me.

Want filthy? Put on your rubber germ-warfare suit and load up some Unique. Welcome to scum city!