Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3rd Annual FNH-USA Midwest 3-Gun Championships

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell you how much Rod and I enjoyed this match! The range is a great facility, the stages were challenging and FUN, the RO's did a great job, and the prize table was awesome as usual for this match! I would like to thank Ken Flood and FNH, Randy Luth and DPMS, Midway, and CMMG for making this possible and for the more than generous contributions to the prize tables! Without these companies, this match wouldn't have happened...we are lucky to have them!!

Special thanks to Tim Ubl (Jarmil, Tom, and Grant also) and Nordic Components for the so fun .22 event! These folks have gone to great lengths to introduce a steller product and to let us all try it and have fun with it! Thanks again for the super side match!

How about Robbie Johnsons pink grenade?

Cheryl :)

ShakyDog,

Just a side note. It wasn't the speed of the ATV's, I understand and applaud their use to make the match run smoother. Just have them driven on the downwind side of the "lounge" area if the road gets real dusty.

Also, I loved all of the different props on the stages. It was fun to watch DrJRiddle knee drop the Suburban trailer hitch into submission on Stage #7. A unique and totally unexpected tactic in my opinion. :surprise:

Brian, you are right about the doc, besides being a great guy, he needs to work on the stops. After seeing he was O.K. after slideing under the car, I laughed my ass off. Now that was funny since it did'nt happen to me.

I really enjoyed the match and understand that (no mater how many matches folks have been to) trying to put on a huge match like this one has unique challenges. I rode home with bullitt and have been thinking about this prize table thing a bit. IMHO, prize tables have to offer a certain balance to keep top competitiors and new shooters interested and happy. In this case there were competitors who finished near 30th place in TO that picked up guns. I'm sure they are happy. I was 12th and chose not to gamble on a bag but pick up a nice FNH shotgun instead. I knew that Trijicon and Larue had been mentioned as sponsors and really could use a LaRue upper or ACOG but was not gambler enough to take the chance.

My suggestion for the future would be put a few of the nicer accessories (high end optics or uppers, etc.) in plain view and hide a few gun certificates in the grab bags. That should allow top finishers a choice and make a few of the new shooters completely giddy...Just a thought.

As far as the match went- I was very impressed with the attitude of the ROs, stage design was very good, lunch was a good deal and the sponsor support was freakin' awesome. The 39 round shotgun stage with all of the circus type targets should become an annual event kind of like the all steel stage at the Single Stack Classic.

I don't know if ya'll heard but the word is that some freak of nature shot that stage clean in 47 seconds loading his shotty weakhand...I think it is only a rumor because no one is that good.

I'm already looking forward to next year...

I don't know if ya'll heard but the word is that some freak of nature shot that stage clean in 47 seconds loading his shotty weakhand...I think it is only a rumor because no one is that good.

You mean Daniel Horner or some other freak of nature?

Great job, well done to Ken and all the Ro's and staff, huge thanks to all the sponsors but most of all to all the staff because I know the pain of putting on a match with all the prep and chaos, I agree with many of the comments from folks above and understand the feelings from all levels as I have worked my way up this shooting ladder from the very bottom and been in the game for years. All I can say is each match is different no matter how folks try to use the same rules or copy things they have seen and learned, each match is the creation of those pouring their sweat and precious time into it. Everyone must make the decision if they come again, and hopefully offer their thoughts in a positive manner as those above have on what they would like to see in the future. No first time match I have ever been to has run smoothly and been all roses, this is Ken's third run and I have been at all three and plan to be at number 4 if able, I see constant improvement and as always just like my shooting constant areas for improvement, its life and I like it. Keep up the good work

jeff

My suggestion for the future would be put a few of the nicer accessories (high end optics or uppers, etc.) in plain view and hide a few gun certificates in the grab bags. That should allow top finishers a choice and make a few of the new shooters completely giddy...Just a thought.

That's an awesome idea.

I finally made it back to the East Coast and am trying to recover. Wow, what a fun-filled weekend and great match to be my 1st 3 Gun! I can only say that now I am hooked. Can’t wait for the next one!

First, a great BIG thank you to Nordic Components! (Tim, Grant, Jarmil and Tom) I was the lucky recipient of the .22 drawing! Trust me, I WILL be putting more rounds through it than what was shot at the Side Match! Tim, much love your way for letting me play with the 20 gauge! :cheers:

Having only been involved in very few 3Guns (usually the Stats Shack or squad mom) I decided to jump in and go for it and am glad I did. Squad 6 was a great squad to be with. Thank you Squad 6 for your guidance and patient with me. Steph, keep up the good shooting!

To Mr. Cramblit-thank you for your help and encouragement. I am sorry I didn’t get footage of the Slip and Slide on Stage 6! :wub:

To Mr. Mike Darby, what can a girl say?!!! :D

I had a “blast” with the SAW, and learned I really like shooting shotgun, thanks to Stage 9. To the MD, RM and all the RO’s, job well done. To John, thank you for delivering the UPS guy to me! Lastly, thank you Sabre Defence! I am looking forward to next year’s match.

That's an awesome idea.

I'll agree that there are many better ways to set up the table for distribution. Not all top level guys want guns. I personally like to pick from the table and get items that I want or need which isn't always a gun. Top level guys skipping over guns just leaves it for the next person. I'm all about keeping a balance and keeping it inviting for new shooters. But don't agree with the mystery bag thing to the multitude there was at this match.

I'll have to look at the results again, but I think the shotgun stage was one of two that Mr. D. Horner did not dominate. I may be wrong but I think the guy that ran the stage so well was Rob Reno or something like that....

The crew and Ro's are the first ones at the match, work and run around in the heat, humidity, wind, rain, dust, glare and then get to be the last ones to go home. And then come back and do it again, and again, with enthusiasm.

I can't thank you all enough for your dedication to putting on an exciting, fun filled, long weekend for us 3-gunners.

Oh yes, and a big thanks to the sponsors who stepped up to the plate. When I spend my hard earned money on equipment you can bet it will be from 3-gun sponsors before anybody else.

And finally, it's good to see all the friends from all different parts of the country that I only get to see a few times a year.

Great Match. Hats off to all the SO's and staff who worked ver hard. Everyone was very professional and had a good sence of humor. Enjoyed all the stages including the 39 round shotgun stage.

Thanks to all the sponsers who provided goodies for all of us and hope they come back next year. I know I will be back

I can't speak for anyone else, but the prize table is relatively unimportant to me. I look for matches with interesting stages, high round counts, the chance to test my skills, and the chance to see some top shooters go at it. I'm a pretty mediocre shooter, so maybe that's part of it.

I started too late in life to ever be at the top, though I have to say that even the average shooters I saw at this match were so far above the average shooter in terms of accuracy, speed, and manual of arms that it is amazing.

My match goals are:

1. Not to injure myself or anyone else.

2. Not to get DQed.

3. Not to finish last.

I achieved my three goals.

Edited by another okie

Been shootin matches for 8 or 10 years now, shootn em, settin em up, runnin em, all that stuff. You got to have good staff and RO's that are actually interested in making it fun and fair for the competitors. The staff has to have a chance to shoot the match in the same relaxed atmosphere as the competitiors. There needs to be well thought out stages, with a good mix of technical and fun. There needs to be lots of prizes so everyone will want to come back next year and win one of the BIG ones. And finally you have to be able to see all the long range rifle targets whether the sun is shining or not, whether it's morning, noon, or late afternoon (otherwise it ain't a fair match!).

Everything about this match was Championship quality. Many thanks for all the hours, days, and weeks of effort it took to put it together for us.

michael and cheryl

This was a great match. I am looking forward to next year. A big thank you to Ken and all the match staff. The R.O.'s were all fantastic, worked hard and treated everyone fairly.

The prize table was incredible, but i too don't care for the hidden grab bag, take your chances on what you get format. Mostly because its a bummer to get something you have or dont need when something else may have been more desirable. Regardless of worth, If it is something I really need I would choose it over something more expensive.

My biggest suggestion for next year comes from my stomach. Why no food offering on Sunday???I would like to have known in advance so i could have brought something with me. It was shear torture watching Kurt eat that subway sub.

This match also re-inforced my eirlier opinion that Missouri has more ticks per square inch than anyplace else on the planet.

This match also re-inforced my eirlier opinion that Missouri has more ticks per square inch than anyplace else on the planet.

I never even saw a tick until I moved to Missouri. But I was quite familiar with mosquitos. And I will take the ticks any day over the mosquitos.

Craig

Also, I loved all of the different props on the stages. It was fun to watch DrJRiddle knee drop the Suburban trailer hitch into submission on Stage #7. A unique and totally unexpected tactic in my opinion. :surprise:

It's a move that requires a certain mix of inexperience, lack of agility, and mud. I don't think you could master it.

My biggest gripe was the prize table distribution. The way prizes other than guns were displayed was kind of hokie. All prizes should have been available to view to allow the competitiors to pick in their order of finish. While I understand the intent to try and reward everyone........it should be done in order of finish and not by luck of the draw with hidden grab bags. I know for a fact some of the top finishers in TO would have taken a Larue upper certificate over a gun. I personally got hosed on my selection because I chose a bag of unknown content to which I was lead to believe was a healthy prize. Yeah.....I could have pulled a gun.....but personally I did not want one and would rather have pulled something of use to me rather than pull a gun and in turn have to sell it and turn it into cash. The whole prize table should have been laid out for inspection. I know some of the competitiors who finished below half way will disagree. The way I look at it is that I spend alot of money in entry fees and travel to go to a match. I also spend countless hours practicing and preparing. I feel that a good finish should be rewarded and not left up to luck of the draw. In hindsight I should have pulled one of the FN shotguns and just dealt with selling it. I would have gotten a return on the match but instead chanced it hoping to get something I actually needed and would use and took a loss and continued to watch competitors 10-20 places behind me get Larue uppers,Eotechs,Trijicon scope certificates and other healthy usable prizes.

You took a gamble picking a bag and not taking the "known quantity" rifle/shotgun/pistol, man up and deal with it. This was no different than last year. I think the grab bags need to stay, its great for somebody to come in 50something place to recieve something more than a t-shirt and a hat.

If you don't like that, maybe you need to host your own match and solicit prizes from the manufactures for your own prize table and then you can give all the good stuff to the top guys and shaft the lower guys with cheesey promotional materials. Don't worry, I won't be there, I'm sure I wouldn't get a "return" on my match investment anyway.

Polytech

Edited by Polytech

It's a move that requires a certain mix of inexperience, lack of agility, and mud. I don't think you could master it.

I don't know but were you the competitor I saw with a large bloody scrape below one knee??? Ouch!!!

Craig

That could have been me with the one bloody knee. A couple of people came up and asked me what happened. I obviously went into the prone position of the grenade stage a bit hot. Nice combination of carpet burns and bloody abrasions. Didn't get to see the trailer hitch knee drop move, but heard that may have been a two joint blow with the other knee injuring the bumper of the Suburban. Then there was Benelli2 ice skating down the mat on stage 6 until finally doing the rubber ball bounce down the rocks. Would have like to seen that one too! Misery loves company you know.

To Ken Flood and the FNH USA and CMMG team..... great match. I thought the stages were well designed. The machine gun stage was a blast as was the woods run and the 39 round shotgun stage. Hope to make it out again next year.

Edited by cpty1

Administrator note:

It sounds like the match asked for feedback. So, don't pile onto a guy that gave what was asked for.

Regardless...we've heard enough about the prize table on the forum. Let's move along.

Now back to your regularly schedule match thread.