Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3rd Annual FNH-USA Midwest 3-Gun Championships

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wild Bunch from Corpus Christi TX will be on the road at 6:30 AM tomorrow with a stop in the Alamo City to pick up Daniel Earnest. It looks like Ty will not make the trip due to the passing of his Aunt.... :(

The round counts and the targets in the diagrams do not match, are the diagrams simply a "Rough Idea" of what we can expect?

the stages do sound like a lot of FUN!!!

Trapr

Yes a rough idea.

Ken

I shot Stages 6, 7, 8 & 9 today. The tower was a whole lotta fun. #8 is in the woods, so you're running down a path while hosing. By the time I got to 9 I was so zombified by the heat I almost continued the stage on into the woods. But I'd run out of ammo, so there was no point in running any more.

Fun, but the every-other-hour shooting schedule makes for long days.

Oh, and yesterday I should have believed what I saw on the SAW. I tracked the dot across the three assigned targets while ripping off my ten rounds in one burst. Then re-engaged those targets with my rifle. They each had five hits. I should have believed what I saw, and started with my rifle on target #4.

well, back home from the midwest 3 gun. i ended up leaving early after getting dq'ed on the m249 stage. total stupidity on my part and just poor gun handling so no one to blame but me. i was having a pretty decent match till then and that is what hurt the most after my pride.

the guys from FN and CMMG put on a hell of a match and i look forward to trying again next year. thanks also to all the hard working ro's especially Larry on stage 5 who had a huge amount of positive energy throughout the entire match.

on a side note, I was lucky enough to find a cool irish pub in St. Louis on our way back and enjoyed a few blacksmith beers and an irish car bomb...

Edited by tewlman

A very fun match, though the heat, dust, wind, rain, and humidity made for tough conditions. I decided to not wait for the awards after the team event was late getting started. I only hope I didn't come in last.

The sniper rifle FNH provided on one stage was sweet. It was amazing to me that we could just walk up to a rifle we had never shot before and hit three steels 200 yards away.

There was a SCAR there to look at. Very nice and ergonomic.

"Way to go piasters. Let's hear for the piasters. Yeah piasters."

Wow, he gives a new meaning to Great! R.O. Very up lifting. Couldn't imagine it without him.

Edited by Basso

Yup, great shoot guys! I didn't do very well, but I had a lot of fun, which is what it's all about! The stages were very creative and challenging. And, the staff as always, was spectacular!

Kamicosmos

aka ARinKCMO at arfcom

Looking forward to my first 3 Gun ever as a competitor! No use playing around, I'll just jump right in :surprise: This past weekend was the first time I tried to load/unload...Now what was that part about rolling the shotgun over your wrist to load?! :D

CCUR: Look forward to seeing you and yours there. BRM3G looked like too much fun!

CPWSA: Where ya staying? Just want to make sure I take you advice on the "Non-Adventure" hotel accomodations! ;)

Ms. Kitty, I think walked away from the match with an overall good impression of shooting 3 gun, as well as a long list of goodies to help her practice the game as well!!

Hats off to Ken and the entire staff!!!......great job!! We'll be back again!!

Tim

PS.....no more GLOCKS for me!!!......over 100 seconds penalties with that thing, going back to my SVI

Got back to Minnesota about 0100 hrs. this morning. Long drive that allowed a lot of time to ponder the weekends activities.

The weather was good (compared to the first match). Missouri has no mosquitos (don't know how they do that, the ticks must eat them or something). The range was set up well with lots of steel targets and good sun shade shelters throughout the range. The offering for dinner was very good. The only thing I didn't like was the amount of dust the ATV'rs kicked up while buzzing around.

The match was great. The stages tested a lot of different skills. I really couldn't pick a favorite stage out of the 9, they were all good. All the RO's were the best. Even after long hard days they kept their good attitudes.

The rest of squad 6 were great teachers for us - it is nice to learn from some of the best in the country (Benny, Jeff, Merlin, Daniel, and Sandra - thank you). All four of us came home with a lot of ideas to make us better shooters.

We plan on being back next year.

Edited by Brian Payne

My thanks to the crew and sponsors and everyone on Squad 12. Things went really smooth when it was our turn to hose.

I liked that we could shoot through walls, cars, targets, anything and still have it count. The lack of a huge number of no-shoot targets was very nice as well.

Special thanks to the officer letting us shoot his HK full auto and suppressed toys after the match. It was well worth getting sprayed with a wet suppressor.

The only lacking thing I can think of was no final squad list or schedule in the shooters' bag or handed out driving in friday morning. Enough guys knew the schedule that it didn't matter though.

I hope to be back next year!

Nick

Our group's first time at FFE and it won't be the last. We have already made plans for next year. We all had our problems throughout the shooting but they with our equipment and between the ears of the shooter. The COF were awesome and the ROs were the best.

The high round count and challenging courses tested our equipment and skill levels. We left with a much better understanding of where our weaknesses were and how to improve on them. To show the quality of the stages, my worst stage (#7 where my .308 went into single shot mode), was probably my favorite stage in spite of the problems. Wish I could have shot it again just for kicks.

I love the way the flash targets react to the .308 hits.

Hats off and a large round of applause to Ken, the guys at CMMG, and all the ROs and staff who helped make this possible. Although probably one of my personal worst performances in a 3 Gun, it was also probably the most fun 3 Gun I have ever been to. And the prize table was second to none.

Craig

I've got mixed emotions on the match. Overall it was a good match. Prize table was pretty sweet but more on that in a minute. RO's were friendly and energetic and there work is always much appreciated. Stages were good. Four wheelers did stir up a bit of dust and sling some mud which was annoying. Alot of standing and shooting and standing reloads. Personally I would like to see more movement involved. I heard and saw alot of inconsistency. Every stage seemed to have its own set of rules which bothered me. Reshoots were offered and given for weapon malfunctions on certain stages and not on others. Clay targets were treated differently on every stage. A little bit more effort to bring the RO's up to speed would have raised the level of consistency. For a match to be fair to all competitors.....I feel it has to be consistent. Just being consistent on one stage is not enough. That still does not offer a total level playing field. If you are going to give reshoots for weapons malfunctions......give them on all stages or none. On clay birds.....if your going to require them to be engaged even if the wind knocks them off their post......require engagement of the clays on all stages. If one stage says a flipper has to flip a minimum of 6 feet to require it to be engaged......require that on all of them. In my opinion those are some areas that need improvement for next year.

It would have been cool if squad lists were posted once they were near final. They changed every time I looked at it.

My overall favorite stage was stage 9------the 39 round shotgun stage. That turned out to be a beast and was ton of fun. Although I didn't shoot it as good as I had hoped it was still my favorite.

My biggest gripe was the prize table distribution. The way prizes other than guns were displayed was kind of hokie. All prizes should have been available to view to allow the competitiors to pick in their order of finish. While I understand the intent to try and reward everyone........it should be done in order of finish and not by luck of the draw with hidden grab bags. I know for a fact some of the top finishers in TO would have taken a Larue upper certificate over a gun. I personally got hosed on my selection because I chose a bag of unknown content to which I was lead to believe was a healthy prize. Yeah.....I could have pulled a gun.....but personally I did not want one and would rather have pulled something of use to me rather than pull a gun and in turn have to sell it and turn it into cash. The whole prize table should have been laid out for inspection. I know some of the competitiors who finished below half way will disagree. The way I look at it is that I spend alot of money in entry fees and travel to go to a match. I also spend countless hours practicing and preparing. I feel that a good finish should be rewarded and not left up to luck of the draw. In hindsight I should have pulled one of the FN shotguns and just dealt with selling it. I would have gotten a return on the match but instead chanced it hoping to get something I actually needed and would use and took a loss and continued to watch competitors 10-20 places behind me get Larue uppers,Eotechs,Trijicon scope certificates and other healthy usable prizes.

But all in all it was a good match and I'll attempt to return next year. I learn something or mutliple somethings at every match and grow on those experiences. I saw in the match book that internet forums would be monitred for constructive criticism and expect this to be taken as nothing more.

See you all next year.

Edited by 00bullitt

Like spd522, the very diverse stages made me realize where I need to practice.

1. Moving from target to target on rifle targets. I did find I could make good hits out to 200 with my Eotech, but my target transitions were very slow.

2. Shotgun reloading. No surprise there.

3. Strong hand only pistol. I thought I had practiced it enough, but fell apart when the buzzer went off.

4. And this is a little thing, but I realized when I was done that the main reason I was having trouble seeing some of the rifle targets is that I had my red dot up too high.

I'm one of those middle of the road competitors that is going to disagree with you. You were at least respectful in your criticism so I am just going to address your comments one by one and tell you why I disagree.

My biggest gripe was the prize table distribution. The way prizes other than guns were displayed was kind of hokie. All prizes should have been available to view to allow the competitiors to pick in their order of finish. While I understand the intent to try and reward everyone........it should be done in order of finish and not by luck of the draw with hidden grab bags. I know for a fact some of the top finishers in TO would have taken a Larue upper certificate over a gun. I personally got hosed on my selection because I chose a bag of unknown content to which I was lead to believe was a healthy prize. Yeah.....I could have pulled a gun.....but personally I did not want one and would rather have pulled something of use to me rather than pull a gun and in turn have to sell it and turn it into cash. The whole prize table should have been laid out for inspection. I know some of the competitiors who finished below half way will disagree.

Competitors did get to pick in order of finish. And there were about 20 guns on the TO table. You chose to not take one and take your chances on the "Mystery bag" (which is what I have always heard them called.)

The way I look at it is that I spend alot of money in entry fees and travel to go to a match. I also spend countless hours practicing and preparing. I feel that a good finish should be rewarded and not left up to luck of the draw.

I also spent a lot of time, money, and effort on getting to the match. I am also at the stage of my shooting that I also have to still spend a lot of money on equipment which leaves less money for practice ammo. It is going to take me longer to get better until I can divert some of that equipment money into practice ammo money. If I don't stand a chance of winning something really cool I am not going to spend the entry fees, hotel, fuel, food, etc, etc, etc to go to the big matches. Neither are the other unclassified shooters that fill out the entry lists and make it worth it for the big sponsors to give as much of their advertising budgets to the matches as they do.

Why would they donate so much in prizes if only the top 30 or 40 shooters in the region or country were going to show up? Those shooters are pretty settled with their equipment, often even sponsored. If I am looking for an advertising opportunity for my business I look for high turnout, not limited participation.

In hindsight I should have pulled one of the FN shotguns and just dealt with selling it. I would have gotten a return on the match but instead chanced it hoping to get something I actually needed and would use and took a loss and continued to watch competitors 10-20 places behind me get Larue uppers,Eotechs,Trijicon scope certificates and other healthy usable prizes.

But all in all it was a good match and I'll attempt to return next year. I learn something or mutliple somethings at every match and grow on those experiences. I saw in the match book that internet forums would be monitred for constructive criticism and expect this to be taken as nothing more.

See you all next year.

The chance of winning something really cool is what brings us new shooters to the big matches. DPMS TGC has a waiting list for anyone who hasn't been to the match for at least 3 years prior. So a new shooter has to send in their money, wonder if they are going to get in, not being able to make travel plans and take vacation time until they find out and then if they do get in invest all the other time and money to do it.

With all that hassle if there is no chance of winning something really cool we'll just stay at our little $20 local matches and have just as much fun shooting paper and steel targets. And without large crowds, the sponsors for your big matches will go away.

Please be happy that new and young shooters are being given great incentives to join the sport and not being chased away by good shooters who just complain because they chose to pass up a gun that was put in front of them.

To the best of my knowledge, TO 1-daniel horner, don't recall the rest.

TI 1-Bruce Piatt, 2-Robbie Johnson, 3-Kurt Miller, 4-Ted Puente

HMT 1-Tate Moots, 2-Benny Hill, 3-I didn't get his name, 4-Mr Merlin Orr

HM 1-Trapr Swonson, 2-?? Fordyce, I don't recall the rest.

Open 1-James Darst, I don't recall the rest.

The stages were challenging in many aspects. Certain parts of the stages were deviously challenging, things that I like. You certainly had to know your limits and abilities.

The most pleasing thing that I saw was the ease of finding the Long Range rifle targets, they were painted for each squad and plenty of contrast was available from what I saw. Also R and R Racing has a 3 plate rack that uses a white background with black plates and was easily reset with para cord from as far away as 250 yards, I think they say it will work from 400?? This target system was the best long range target I have seen and used since the La Rue system, the RO does not have to call hits the plate simply falls over when hit, just like the LaRue only this one has a contrasting background that allows Iron sight shooters to easily find the target and see it when looking thru a peep sight.

R&R my congratulations on a very well thought out piece of equipment. Now if we can just get it out there.

Trapr

The results are posted at http://www.midwest3gun.com

Thank you for the kind words and the criticism.

I guess not all ATV drivers were as nice as me, so next year I will make sure all ATV users understand that speed is not always needed.

Yes, I also noticed the inconsistencies with ROs and this will be taken care of at future matches.

I will also apologize for the delay with scoring . . . I underestimated the amount of involvement needed to score a 3 gun match of this size.

I will be writing an Access based program to deal with that problem.

Thank you and I hope all had fun!

Steve

Edited by ShakyDog