Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stripped bolt on CR speed holster

1911jerry

The two tiny bolts on the top area of the hanger portion of my holster are stuck, and doing an unsmart thing, I tried a little too much finess on the bolt heads and now the allen wrench wont fit. Not to compound the matters, I stopped befroe I runined everything. The bolts are still stuck, but the threads are still good, I hope....

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jerry

The two tiny bolts on the top area of the hanger portion of my holster are stuck, and doing an unsmart thing, I tried a little too much finess on the bolt heads and now the allen wrench wont fit. Not to compound the matters, I stopped befroe I runined everything. The bolts are still stuck, but the threads are still good, I hope....

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jerry

"I am the Gun Whisperer....."

Jerry...What did you whisper when you stripped those allen heads....? :devil::P;)

And thanks for the tee shirts... Old Guys do truly rock.....IMO anyway... :cheers:

This happened to me awhile back also. It seems that when tightened, the finish on the screws really lock them buggers in there. I just drilled them out with the appropriate size drill bit. Once the heads are removed the remaining screw should unscrew easily without the tension being applied. I fortunately had another versa hanger laying around and cannibalized a screw from that one. You may have to contact a distributor to see if you can get one in a parts kit- otherwise I will see if I still have a few of those screws laying around if you need them. Better than buying a whole kit or hanger! Good Luck-:)

Edited by Rocket35

All you have to do is use a drill bit a little larger than the size of the screw. When drilling in the stripped portion of the allen head, when you get to the point the head meets the threads, the head of the screw will just separate. You don't have to drill all the way through! Then separate the plate from the hanger and unscrew the remaining portion with your fingers. If you can use a drill you can perform this task- no "expert" help necessary. <_< The hard part is to find a replacement set of screws IMHO.

As you probably know, those screws are not part of the spares kit.

If you contact Rescomp (or if someone else knows) to get the size of the screw, we can track that down pretty easily. I'm sure Rescomp will send you replacements without too much hassle.

Here's one link to #3-48's

Did the same thing.

ACE hardware here had them.

I have had great luck with a couple of mom and pop ACE stores. Lowes and HD never have any machine screws or other hardware but the little ACE hardware puts them to shame.

an easier option would be a reverse drill bit. it'll bite into the screw head and twist it out. all you need to do after is reinstall the proper sized screw.

Is the hardware for Rescomp products standard or metric?

I went out today and found the screws I needed at a local fastener shop.

The size is = metric 3.5x14mm. The shop had a bag of 100 of them in Indianapolis, I am in Texas, so he gave me some 3.5x12mm, which work just fine.

I replaced the screws and reinstalled the hanger. Life is now back to normal.....what ever that is at this moment.

Thanks for all the help on the board.

Jerry