Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open vs Limited...... which is more fun?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think 50 is bad, wait until you hit 63:((

I've been shooting with iron sights all my life, and didn't

want to get into Open because I carry a gun daily with

iron sights.

But, it's harder to compete because of the old eyes (and

I have the added disadvantage of having very powerful

prescription eyeglasses - very poor eyesight without

glasses.

One little trick I pulled this year, is bought a pair of glasses

with the help of local optician, which are a compromise between

reading glasses and distant glasses - a single lens that is perfect

at 3-20 feet (front sight to most local club targets). I can't read

with them, and I can't see a 9mm bullet hole at 40 yards, but at

most distances, I have a good compromise and can "see the

front sight and target" a lot better than anything else I've tried.

Jack

Basically did the same thing but with reading glasses to allow focus on the front sight. This seems to have helped considerably with my indoor shooting. At 52 I really enjoy shooting Limited even though it's a big pool of talent.

How about Production..... Also know as the land of perpetual reloading! :cheers:

Got ya beat. I routinely shoot revolver. Now THAT is a "real man's" division, which probably explains why I do so poorly in it. :blink:

Ah yes, the revolver--an elegant weapon of a more civilized time.....

The "eyes" have it. When all you "real men" shooting limited hit 40ish and all the exercise and testosterone in the world can't change the "bifocal" requirement-I'll show you your be post history (if you can read it)! :D

It's a great feeling when us 50+ age open shooters kick some young butt. Go for Open! Open is a hoot. As HSMITH indicated "Open allows you to perfect all the other aspects of shooting this sport" without stressing to see the sights.

:cheers:

Which is more fun? What kind of question is that?

It's like asking would you rather make love to Jessica Alba or Jessica Biel.

Now that we have put that in perspective, I will tell you some of what I found when I started shooting open.

Open is definately faster on distant targets, partial targets, plate racks, Texas Stars, etc.

Targets that are close up and personal are faster for me with open sights.

An example of this would be the classifier "Can you Count".

Some times I actually lose time looking for the dot after the draw and especially on weak hand classifiers.

More practice should certainly remedy that.

Open is a "top heavy" division.

When you jump in this pool you are really swimming with the sharks.

I can walk away from a club match feeling like I did pretty well and discover later that I finished 15th out of 16.

There are a number of fringe benefits such as smaller bullets which are cheaper (and lighter).

Much easier on the back to pack around several hundred 38 supers than several hundred 45's or 40's.

There are many more subtle differences too numerous to mention.

Which is more fun?

Well for my taste I'll take Jessica.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

It's a great feeling when us 50+ age open shooters kick some young butt.

Happieness is what you make of it. I personally enjoy beating Limited and Open shooters with my stock Glock 34 and ten round mags ;)

Real (wo)men put in the work to win, no matter the division.

How about Production..... Also know as the land of perpetual reloading! :cheers:

Got ya beat. I routinely shoot revolver. Now THAT is a "real man's" division, which probably explains why I do so poorly in it. :blink:

"The guns were empty and they boiled at him, transmogrified into an Eye and a Hand, and he stood, screaming and reloading, his mind far away and absent, letting his hands do their reloading trick. Could he hold up a hand, tell them he had spent a thousand years learning this trick and others, tell them of the guns and the blood that had blessed them? Not with his mouth. But his hands could speak their own tale."

A cookie to the one who knows where the quote is from....

Happieness is what you make of it. I personally enjoy beating Limited and Open shooters with my stock Glock 34 and ten round mags ;)

That is fun isn't it :goof:

When does that start ... cause I dont want to miss it. :devil:;):lol:

Would you rather race a Formula 1 car, or follow others in a Nascar? <_<

Open for me, by far.

Formula 1 ???? :huh: Come on Matt ...... when I talk about practical shooting to someone who has never tried it, I use the race car analogy ..... but I liken shooting Open to TOP FUEL DRAG RACING! B)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

That is fun isn't it :goof:

When does that start ... cause I dont want to miss it. :devil:;):lol:

I believe you were there... Something about a production guy over you shooting limited at michigan maybe? :ph34r:

Edited by Matt Cheely

[quote name='CHRIS KEEN'

I believe you were there... Something about a production guy over you shooting limited at michigan maybe? :ph34r:

Well, if you enjoy beating me after I forgot a target then ... yeah, have fun. I'd rather beat my competition on equal ground.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

It's a great feeling when us 50+ age open shooters kick some young butt.

Real (wo)men put in the work to win, no matter the division.

You must not have much enjoyment on Monday nights! :devil::P:D:cheers:

[quote name='CHRIS KEEN'

Well, if you enjoy beating me after I forgot a target then ... yeah, have fun. I'd rather beat my competition on equal ground.

We had all the same targets to shoot at :goof:

"The guns were empty and they boiled at him, transmogrified into an Eye and a Hand, and he stood, screaming and reloading, his mind far away and absent, letting his hands do their reloading trick. Could he hold up a hand, tell them he had spent a thousand years learning this trick and others, tell them of the guns and the blood that had blessed them? Not with his mouth. But his hands could speak their own tale."

I believe that would be Mr. King's Dark Tower.

Plain sugar cookie please!

You must not have much enjoyment on Monday nights

Monday nights are more like a practice session. You need to get out more Larry. How 'bout Nationals next year ???

Practice is Practice! I am all ready in for A5, A6, and hopefully a slot for the Nats.

I believe that would be Mr. King's Dark Tower.

Plain sugar cookie please!

Yes, and the book was "The Gunslinger"

sugar.jpg

There you have it.

Another sad tale of a thread that started life asking questions about Open vs Limited and degenerated into .... never mind.

I had the same thing happen to a cousin of mine.

He started out okay and then .....

But it's okay, he'll soon be out of rehab.

T

Edited by 38superman