Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LIMITED GUN

Do you think it would be stretching the ICORE rule book if one was to take the titanium barrel\ shroud and cylinder from a 327 JM and fit it to a standard stainless 627 frame for limited division?? Any pros and cons with this idea would be appreciated.

Here's the rule;

6. A revolver must compete in the Open Division if it has one or more of the following modifications:

A. Compensating, venting, or metering ports of any kind.

B. An optical sight including telescopic and red dot sights.

C. A rib sight, a front sight that extends beyond the muzzle, or a rear sight that extends beyond or behind a factory manufactured sight's location.

D. Any barrel other than a factory barrel or a factory replacement barrel made by the revolver's manufacturer and included in the revolver manufacturer's spare parts catalog or list.

Effective January 1, 2007, rule D is revised to:

D. Any barrel other than an unaltered factory barrel or an unaltered factory replacement barrel made by the revolver’s manufacturer. Alterations to the barrel other than what is required to safely install the barrel are not permitted in Limited Division. (Revised 2/16/06)

E. An underlug, barrel weight, grip weight, or any other modification designed to increase the weight of the revolver.

All other modifications are allowed. Revolvers not in the Open Division may compete in the Limited Division. (Revised 9/11/2002)

Looks like most people are interpreting that rule to allow any stock unported barrel made by the manufacturer of the revolver, as opposed to any stock unported barrel made for that particular model of revolver.

Which is fine with me. Although I can see where there could be some confusion.....

At this year's IRC, there were a few 627's with M-27 and M-28 6" barrels on them. They were approved by Jeff N well before the match.

In order to retrofit the 327 barrel assembly, you will need to secure the shroud assembly/ frame face with a locating tab to prevent the shroud from rotating. The 327 frames have positioning ledges on the frame face that the standard 627 frames do not.

Another issue is the loosening of the barrel assembly. I've had a few come thru the shop in this condition.

Thanks for the input guys.

I had suspected that a replacement barrel from any .357 N frame was ok, just a bit confused about that rule change.

Randy, I had wondered about the locating tab and if there was a barrel nut like the short barreled 327. Is there an issue with the barrel\shroud assembly working loose on some 327 models?

The barrel and cylinder retrofit was just a thought on building a better mousetrap, not sure if it would be viable though. The big problem would be obtaining the parts in the first place without purchasing a whole new gun.

Thanks for the input guys.

I had suspected that a replacement barrel from any .357 N frame was ok, just a bit confused about that rule change.

Randy, I had wondered about the locating tab and if there was a barrel nut like the short barreled 327. Is there an issue with the barrel\shroud assembly working loose on some 327 models?

The barrel and cylinder retrofit was just a thought on building a better mousetrap, not sure if it would be viable though. The big problem would be obtaining the parts in the first place without purchasing a whole new gun.

Greetings,

Yes, there have been some issues with the tensioning nut working loose on the 327s. I have a couple in the shop that had that problem. The tensioning nut is left hand threaded, so tightening the nut tends to want to loosen the right handed threads in the frame.