Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22

ofcrfs242

I am shooting a Glock 22 with a new Barsto barrel. I recently cronographed some rounds and am getting an average of about a 155 PF. I would like to get the added benifit in points of shooting a major load but have read about all of the KB's. I have read that most of those can be attributed to a double charge. I am currently shooting a 160 CMJ with 5.0 gr of 700x and am not showing any real signs of excessive pressure. I also cronographed some heavier bullets with the same results (150-155 PF). I am just hesitant about loading very hot for the Glock. Any experiences or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I've always used Lee dies for 40. Their 4-die set includes there regular sizing die, and the FCD. For me, this helps to ensure against bullet set back (read up on that and how to test for it). Bullet setback is a likely cause of KB's.

I've always used good brass for 40. "Once fired", from reputable source. I liked to get the stuff that carried the same head stamp. But, as long as I was getting mixed brass that didn't contain any head-stamps that I didn't trust...then I was OK with that.

I don't trust PMC and "F C" brass in 40.

Many suggest loading with a powder that is bulky enough to spill out of the case if you happen to double charge it. Also, a bulkier powder can give the bullet something to sit on...helping prevent setback. A bulkier power often means that it will be a slower burning powder. Generally, a slower powder will feel like it has a bit more recoil in the hand, but it has the benefit of being safer...as it should have a lower pressure and a slower pressure spike.

I graduated to using TiteGroup (TG)...which is a faster powder and it is not very bulky. I run the risk of being able to put a bullet on top of a double charge. I didn't start out loading 40 with TG though. I started with a nice, slow, bulk powder. Once I had loaded thousands and thousands of rounds of 40...and my process was smooth and trouble free...only then did I experiment with the faster powders.

BTW...

I know nothing about your particular powder. But, whatever you use...as you build up your load incrementally toward Major power factor, check the brass as you go.

Load 10-20 rounds at your current powder charge, then another 10-20 with a 10th of a grain added. Then, another 10-20 with an additional tenth of a grain added...and so on.

As you shoot and chrono each batch, stop and collect your brass before moving on to the next level. Check each batch/level for signs of pressure on that brass.

(As an aside...you are probably going to end up liking 180g bullets for shooting Major.)

Since most factory ammo in .40 makes major, you're not really getting anywhere near "hot" if you pick a suitable powder. IMR lists a load with 4.6gr of 700X and a 180gr XTP at 970fps....that's 174PF. So, either you've got a very slow barrel, or the powder lot was off, or both.

Yep - I make Major out of G22 with 4.6-4.7 grains of Titegroup over a Zero 180. I actually started shooting a G35 because it's a lot easier to make Major with it, but I like the feel of the G22 better.

Edited by chp5

I've got a Glock 22 with a KKM barrel. I think the 200gr bullets are softer than 180s, but it's easy to make major either way. I was shooting 200gr. Precision coated bullets with Universal Clays. I'm at work right now and don't have my reloading spreadsheet here and I can't remember the charge. It's pretty soft shooting, but very smokey. I've been shooting a Glock 24 as of late and like the feel of that gun better using 180gr bullets.

I've always used Lee dies for 40. Their 4-die set includes there regular sizing die, and the FCD. For me, this helps to ensure against bullet set back (read up on that and how to test for it). Bullet setback is a likely cause of KB's.

Many suggest loading with a powder that is bulky enough to spill out of the case if you happen to double charge it. Also, a bulkier powder can give the bullet something to sit on...helping prevent setback. A bulkier power often means that it will be a slower burning powder. Generally, a slower powder will feel like it has a bit more recoil in the hand, but it has the benefit of being safer...as it should have a lower pressure and a slower pressure spike.

I graduated to using TiteGroup (TG)...which is a faster powder and it is not very bulky. I run the risk of being able to put a bullet on top of a double charge. I didn't start out loading 40 with TG though. I started with a nice, slow, bulk powder. Once I had loaded thousands and thousands of rounds of 40...and my process was smooth and trouble free...only then did I experiment with the faster powders.

I've been using the Lee bullet seating die to crimp, with no set-back issues. I tried HARD to get the bullet to seat deeper, but it just doesn't happen with any reasonable force, at least with Zero, Remington, and Precision Delta jacketed bullets. There was some controversy on the GlockTalk reloading forum about whether the FCD resizes bullets, so I just stopped using it, and have not looked back.

I've been getting away from using TiteGroup because it's harder to get accurate charges than it is with a bulky slow powder. I feel safer with the slower powders when I'm cranking out rounds on a progressive.

I don't have a 22 to test my load in but out of my 24 and 35 I make major plenty to spare 179 at NC sectional with my 24. I feel very sure it would make major in a 22. I have 6000 plus through my 24 with a LWD barrel. My 35 ( I just traded it off this week) had the factory barrel, it made 177.

The load is 4.5 gr of titegroup with a 180gr bullet loaded to 1.120 OAL.

Bullet set back can be a problem but a good taper crimp, and make sure your expander die does expand the case too much and you should be fine. Your tight chambered barrel helps a great deal.

Glock factory barrel have a little less support over the case web but also their chambers are freaking HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shoot mostly Minor in my 35 using 3.1 grs. of Clays and a 180 gr. plated bullet. I attempted to establish a Major load and determined that 5.1 grs. of SR7625 would work but I don't shoot Limited very often. I use the Lee U Die and Factory Crimp Die. My RCBS dies would NOT prevent bullet setback and the problem was with the resizing die. I never buy brass and rely exclusively on range scrap. I have never had any reliability or safety issues, but then I do shoot Minor. When brass gets real ugly it will be easy to see. In extreme cases the sizer will leave a thick ring of brass around the head and the case will look like a belted magnum rifle cartridge. Sometimes you will see the head expanded to conform to the unsupported chamber. I have seen some custom sizers that can size some very ugly brass and make it look perfectly normal and you'd never be able to tell that it had been worked so hard. You need to be aware of that when you buy "once fired" brass. And do not rely on the cleanliness of the brass since there are chemicals that clean the inside so well that they will look once fired. I have tried practically every headstamp out there and A-Merc is definitely the worst and should be thrown away on sight.

Dave Sinko

I have used 180 grain bullets and shot major with no problem in a glock 22 and 35. with the stock barrel. i have used vv 340 and now use titegroup. I use 4.9 grains of titegroup and a montana gold 180 grain bullet. hits about 940 fps.

I have repeatedly shot 15.5 gr 800X, 200 gr with my 40 S&W Glock 22 with improved case support.

I kicks so hard, it hurts for hours.

15.0 gr 200 gr is a max load for 44 mag.

What does it all mean?

Once you get the case support, then the next problem in load work up for a G22 is the recoil.

I have repeatedly shot 15.5 gr 800X, 200 gr with my 40 S&W Glock 22 with improved case support.

I kicks so hard, it hurts for hours.

15.0 gr 200 gr is a max load for 44 mag.

What does it all mean?

Once you get the case support, then the next problem in load work up for a G22 is the recoil.

Just an FYI for those who may not be familiar with Clark: Don't Do This At Home Kids! Clark experiments with some things that go WAY beyond what you and I should play around with. The info he gathers can be interesting though.

Thanks,

-Larry