Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KA-BOOM whats up with that?

gunsablazin

I had a 35 KABOOM once with a 180 Berry's and 170 pf load of HS 6. Brand new gun maybe 300 rds. It split the chamber down each side. Not a double charge. Tried to load a double charge on purpose and it kept pushin the bullet out of the case before it was crimped making to long to even go in a Glock magazine. Since it was the 5th or 6th shot out of a magazine no way it would fit. Put in a after market barrel, new trigger and extractor and have kept on shooting it.

Not common but I have seen a few threads and pics over on GT of broken breech faces

Here is a pic I just found from there

Cracked_breech2.jpg

I've had this happen to me personally. I was dry firing and noticed the striker "click" sounded different.

Glock replaced the slide for free (and I was not the original owner) and told me to use snap caps.

Did you have a stock striker spring or reduced striker spring?

Stock striker spring. I hate the reduced springs. Bad juju . . .

I will tell you my experience. I sheared the barrel lug off a G21 using reloads and a Barstow barrel, and had a case rupture on a G34, did not blow up the gun, but it ripped out the mag release and wrecked a mag. Cut my middle finger.

I have personally witnessed 2 G21's blow up completely, wrecked the barrel, slide and frame. One from a reload, the other from American Ammo, new from Miami. The reloaded KB cut the shooters forhead and his fingers, and to make it worse, it was a duty issue gun, tough to explain to the Captain. The Miami ammo KB shooter only had cut fingers. I also know of a G17 KB, and 2 G22 KB's. The G17 KB was a reload, and the G22's were early issue factory Federal ammo. However, in all fairness, I blew up a Colt Gold Cup 25 years ago, and have seen a blown up Berreta 92F, and a S&W 686. I think a Glock is easier to blow up because the chamber is less supported than other designs. Now I only reload once fired brass in the 9mm...

• 1 month later...

I'm going to install a Lone Wolf barrel in my gun too when I start shooting reloads in it. I was shooting Winchester and S&B factory ammo on Sun. From the searching I have done the K-Boom issue is "blown" way out of proportion. I think the after market barrel precaution is wise if you are going to use mixed brass and treat it like a .45, that is load the brass until it splits. I have to wonder how many K-Booms were double powder charges etc.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...
Careful with that Glock Rob,You'll blow your self up with it :goof:

et45, you are a smarta**. I have read over all this info and talked to some local Glock shooters,this is the conclusion I have reached. I plan to reload ploycoated bullets and use the brass many times, so I am going to install a KKM barrel, size with the small base resizer, load minor @130,000+ and shoot the hell out of the gun and not worry about it. Anyone see a problem with that?

Robin

I see a potential problem with it Robin. Let me tell you my experience with Precision Moly Bullets. I was loading to 165pf with VV powder in 45 for IDPA. The barrel was a Nowlin match in a 1911-cut rifling. This stuff came off and built up in my barrel and would not come out to save my life. I contacted the Mfg. and he recommended "Moly Magic" which worked but only with an amount of effort that I will not put in again. It's hard to tell this stuff is in your barrel because of the color of it. When there is enough in there you can see it. Beware. I had excellent luck with Ranier & Montana Gold bullets.

Having said that, let me tell you about a freind of mine that shoots lead all the time in IDPA out of his 4OS&W Glock. He has never had a Kaboom even after THOUSANDS of rounds but they are very hard cast lead (I forget the brand) and he cleans his gun religeously. Draw your own conclusions. If not for the buildup I would still be using moly bullets. They're faster with the same amount of powder which means you can load down and still make pf, they were accurate. Try about 500 of em and monitor your bore is my recommendation.

Be careful and let us know how it goes.

MW

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you haven't allready read this... A guy blew up a G35 at Palm Springs, wasn't hurt, destroyed the barrel and top end, bent the heck out of the frame rails, blew out the mag and mag catch.

Was that all the commotion at the middle bay with 2 stages at Palm Springs Steel Challenge on Sunday? I have seen more Glocks blow up, break, quit, etc... That particular bay must be the 'Glock Triangle' I had a case rupture on a G34 several years ago, didn't blow it up, just blew out the mag and mag catch which cut my finger. I witnessed a G21 duty gun blow up there. I cracked 2 G17 slides at the ejection port on that same bay. I can't remember all the other Glock malfunctions that occur there over the years. The club should find a new location. (Edited: However there is a large population of long time Glock competitors, so chaos theory says that could all go bad on any given day...)

Ok, the 40 Glocks don't have an edge on KB's, but what they do have is the highest chamber pressure of the popular Glock calibers (not withstanding 357Sig). So using high density fast burning powders, TiteGroup, Clays, cases of unknown origin, how many times cycled, how they were last loaded, heavier bullets, set back is critical, and lead bullets, increases the odds of blowing up. And it's pretty impossible to double charge a progressive, but not a 550. I think Dennis has blown up 2 G35's at Palm Springs. Anyway, use a low density slow burning powder, 165gr FMJ bullets, and new cases, or at least once fired police range brass, such as brassmanbrass.com. Load to maximum length, and pick up only your cases, then pitch them out after 4 to 5 loads.

Come to think of it, Steel Challenge doesn’t have a power floor? All you need is to ‘dink’ the plates. Try some 135gr bullets on top of Vihtavuori N340 7.5 grs at 1.140” plus overall (as long as possible to get thru the mag and chamber ok). Fast bullet and low chamber pressure.

Interesting article on chamber pressures.. http://www.greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

At least you can blow up 5 Glocks to 1 STI/SVI.