Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Portland area is more-or-less devoid of snakes, chiggers, ticks and cooties. This is due to the fact that the mosquitoes, deer flies, no-see-ums, etc. have long since sucked all the life out of them.

You may have heard that there is a lot of fog near Portland. Not true. These are actually clouds of no-see-ums looking for their next victim.

Rumor has it that jerky was "invented" in the Portland area after a farmer inadvertently left a small cow outdoors during a "fog".

The deer flies generally are not large enough to carry away anything larger than a rat unless of course several land on the same victim at the same time. It has long been speculated that DB Cooper was, in fact, carried away from his landing spot near the Columbia River by a cloud of deer flies. His dessicated corpse has yet to be found.

The mosquitoes are actually rather small, by Alaska and Minnesota/Wisconsin standards. A load of #12 out of a .410 is usually enough to bring one down although you may have to stomp on it to "make sure".

Other than that, Portland is a great spot...except during winter ice storms. But the chances of an ice storm during the match are generally considered to be less than 50%.

That what you looking for there Floyd? :D

Geez, one Area 1 match in the snow and we're never gonna hear the end of it. Who would have expected snow in May?

We had snow in bend a while back. I would take snow over the rain/ mud in tulsa last year.

I'm still trying to lure him to Oregon. Apparently he'll come to Montana but Oregon is a stretch.

I'll be there Thursday night, flight gets in at 2315 then gotta drive in the dark and hope not to get lost on the way to the hotel (here we have the ocean on one side of the road and the mountains on the other side of the road to know if we are going in the right direction.

I'm taking a chance on shooting in Oreygone this year since I can get into an Area 1 match easier than an Area 2 match :ph34r: . Yes, Chuck I'll be there this year and looking like it'll be my kind of weekend (warm and crazy friends and shooting).

P.S. My wife made me take her to Montana :rolleyes: and she wants to go back again :)

Thanks for all your hard work.

ba

+1 on that.

It was hot yesterday. It will be hotter today. However much water you normally bring, double it and make sure to DRINK IT. You'll be glad you did.

Bruce (heck, *we'll* be glad you did...)