Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am about to buy a Dillon 550B press?.

I have been using a RCBS single press and I am about to buy a Dillon 550B progressive press. Are the Dillon presses hard to set-up?. I will be using RCBS dies with the Dillon Press.

Pretty easy. If you do not get the manual, you can download it from Dillon's website.

Depending on what you are reloading, you might want to do some research on other dies.

:rolleyes: I found the Dillon an easy machine to set up. Ordered the Dillon dies for every caliber I load for and haven't used one of the many Rc-s dies that I have since then.. I don't like the Idea of seating and crimping in the same die. Dillon its in 2 different dies.

Good luck.

Be safe. Keep the right side UP!!!!

Bob

I have been using a RCBS single press and I am about to buy a Dillon 550B progressive press. Are the Dillon presses hard to set-up?. I will be using RCBS dies with the Dillon Press.

Not hard at all. If you are currently shooting with a club there will be someone you shoot with that already has one. The lure of a few frosty beverages will usually seduce the average shooter/reloader into following you home and giving you an in-service on setup and useage..... :cheers:

I will be shooting alot of 357 mag and some 44 mag. I have the dies for them already so I thought I would use them for now. Its alot of money Press for $379 and really don't have the money right now for the dillon dies. And really do not want the RCBS dies just siting there.

For those calibers I would use them.. For something I was going to crank out a lot of ammo like for IPSC I would go with Dillon and it's carbide. Love mine. 45acp, 40sw, 9mm, 223rem. Have Rc-s in all those calibers but like the Dillons for mass production. Would use my RC-s for other cal though.

But thats just my preference.

:rolleyes: Bob

I found the DVD "Competition Reloading" (http://www.brianenos.com/pages/videos.html) offered by our host most helpful when I was getting going on my 550B.

Although it features a 650B, the principles, setup tricks and reloading tips are valuable for newbies and clarifies some of the info in the Dillon manual if you don't have a buddy to personally walk you through first-time operation of your press.

Curtis

Thanks guys. I just picked the Dillon up at a local shop today. Now To try and get everything put together without my daughter running away with a handfull of parts. I swear you turn for 1/2 a second and all you hear is laughing and a little figure running with a handfull of parts.

Quickly followed by the sound of a toilet flushing and a child's voice saying Bye-Bye. :o

Even after the flush Dillon would take care of you and do so quickly. Remember Dillon products are available from BE........

I got some reloading done tonight. Man it really saves time. The only thing is when you go up in the powder die and bevel the case mouth it seems to stick alittle. I will have to order the strong mounts.

How many rounds do you guys go before you stop and check the powder throw?. You can get carried away. Its just a time saver. I can remember how many steps I was doing with the old RCBS.

I got some reloading done tonight. Man it really saves time. The only thing is when you go up in the powder die and bevel the case mouth it seems to stick alittle. I will have to order the strong mounts.

How many rounds do you guys go before you stop and check the powder throw?. You can get carried away. Its just a time saver. I can remember how many steps I was doing with the old RCBS.

I got burned, by my own doing, and have about 100 rounds that I think don't have powder.

Now when I refill the primers I refill the brass tray, bullet tray and check the next round for powder load. I also look into each shell to insure there is powder in it. It's easier than it sounds, when you push the operatin handle forward lean into it a little and you'll be looking straight down the shell. I assume that if there is powder it's the proper amount between my checks.

A big one to watch is to check the tightness of the machine with the allen wrenches each time you start loading. I found my powder hopper about to come off after a long session. Also had a screw back out and cause no powder to drop for about 50 rounds before I caught it (see above). That's why i check it now.

I have a question. Is it safe to pull bullets from those rounds? They are primed, may or may not have powder and are sitting in an old peanut butter jar on my toolbench. I don't care about the cost, just want to be safe and if not safe to pull the bullet want to dispose of them in a safe manner.

In a nutshell (too late) I'll load up a number of primer tubes at the start, check the tightness of screws, fill the trays, check powder throw and go. Double check all the above each time you refill with primers. Another trick is to place the low primer plunger (thing that slides down and sets off the low primer alarm) threw the hole at the operator's side of the powder apparatus. The hole is more of a slot. Put it through there so it's in front of your face if you start to load with it not in place. I refilled a bunch without primers....gunpowder drops through the case and makes a heck of a mess. Those are now my dummy rounds I load up in practice to work immediate action drills.

Hope this helps!

My number one safety check is powder level. NEVER do I place a bullet without eyeballing the level. It's always obvious if there is none or if there is a double charge, but after a while you can tell pretty damn close the exact level. I've had spider webs cause a slightly high level but picked it up when eyechecking the powder.

You'll get away with an upside down primer or no primer but powder can ruin your day. Packing your ammo in ammo boxes will quickly show primer issues.

Chamber checking will usually reveal brass issues......Good luck and have fun!

I got burned, by my own doing, and have about 100 rounds that I think don't have powder.

Now when I refill the primers I refill the brass tray, bullet tray and check the next round for powder load. I also look into each shell to insure there is powder in it. It's easier than it sounds, when you push the operatin handle forward lean into it a little and you'll be looking straight down the shell. I assume that if there is powder it's the proper amount between my checks.

A big one to watch is to check the tightness of the machine with the allen wrenches each time you start loading. I found my powder hopper about to come off after a long session. Also had a screw back out and cause no powder to drop for about 50 rounds before I caught it (see above). That's why i check it now.

I have a question. Is it safe to pull bullets from those rounds? They are primed, may or may not have powder and are sitting in an old peanut butter jar on my toolbench. I don't care about the cost, just want to be safe and if not safe to pull the bullet want to dispose of them in a safe manner.

In a nutshell (too late) I'll load up a number of primer tubes at the start, check the tightness of screws, fill the trays, check powder throw and go. Double check all the above each time you refill with primers. Another trick is to place the low primer plunger (thing that slides down and sets off the low primer alarm) threw the hole at the operator's side of the powder apparatus. The hole is more of a slot. Put it through there so it's in front of your face if you start to load with it not in place. I refilled a bunch without primers....gunpowder drops through the case and makes a heck of a mess. Those are now my dummy rounds I load up in practice to work immediate action drills.

Hope this helps!

Not quite sure of the politically correct response, but I have no issues pulling bullets and have done so many times.........

I dont think you could ever be too safe when reloading. If you question it, stop. assure yourself and move on. As far as the powder measure goes, I visually inspect every one, then I check about 1 in every 20. my buddy checks 1 in 5 on his xl650... again, you can never be too safe. to risk serious injury pulling a bullet from a primed case, the simple answer to this question is NOT to. hope the common sensical approach makes sense! :blink:

I guess I need to clarify. Impact bullet pullers are designed to remove bullets and powder from loaded cartridges, which would include cases with only primers. I don't use any other method and therefore cannot comment.

Dillon powder measures are very accurate and seldom require readjustment, that said, verify at a rate you feel comfortable with and note the lack of change. Adjust your verification rate accordingly.