Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With The Pact Chronogragh

Chris40

Hi I need help with my PACT MKIV mostly with the chronograph I have used it three times and have not been able to get good readings with it. Today I try every thing that you can do it was a sunny day I put up a sun screen and I was getting readings like 3500 fps with a 40 S&W. Sometimes it would pick up the bullet and sometimes it would not. Can you help me out with some tips or other things to try I did read the book but nothing.

Thanks Chris

Check the angle of the skyscreens relative to the sun. Sometimes the way you set it you can totally negate the effect of the sunshades, but I'm sure you thought of that....

Maybe you've developed a .40 Super Mag...:P

It's really wierd how the sun can change the readings on a chrono. I don't know if this is what is happening to you, but I've had to turn the chrono so that there is actually shade over the sensors.

Direct sunlight glinting into the sensors will give you some strange readings. I've even used a piece of masking tape along the side of the sensor (not over it) to cast a shadow over the sensor. Of course if the sun is directly overhead the skyscreeens should create their own shade.

Also sometimes, if the range permits you can rotate the skyscreens around till you find the right combination of light that works. I always try to get in the shade from trees or other objects.

Just a thought here. I am not sure that this would be the problem, but seeing as you just got the Pact, and haven't had it working before, I thought this might be worth checking. Do the stop/start jacks have the correct cables/sensors plugged into them. The closest sensor to you goes into the start jack on the timer.

I have never had any problems getting mine to read in sunlight before, as long as I use the shades provided. Distance from the muzzle has not been an issue either (except for the destructive muzzle blast effects from high powered rifle calibers).

My MkIV has been a gem, so I thought I might mention what came to my mind in hopes that it would help.

Regards,

You might also ensure that your distance (between the sensors) corresponds with the setting that is programed into the chrono. The book tells you how to check/adjust that as well. Make sure to measure the distance, don't trust that it is 18 inches (or is it 24 inches?). You've probably checked that too, but I thought I would mention it.

Chris40 I have the same problem with my pact MKIV chrono, I tryed everything and didn't work properly. Some times it doesn't read at all. :(

I believe that the problem is in the sensors, <_< I will try this weekend to read with the pact timer but with diferent sensors.

If that's the problem I'l let you know.

With mine I use it inside, Well that creates a new set of problems...

but here is what works for me....

I put a light above each sensor shade and turn off the lights in the range.

then I fire a few test shots, to make sure it's picking them up, if it isn't I move the lights around till it does most of the time...

I had simular results outside myself and being lazy the indoor range is closer so I never tried to cure it....

sno

I got the bar with it but I will check it

Hi Chris,

The Pact bar is exactly 24" center to center of the sensors. When you enter the chrono mode the display should ask you to confirm the distance between the sensors as 24", if this isn't what it says, then that would be the problem. Otherwise it's a lighting thing, or a warranty thing.

Mine has never been tempermental to the point of reading that far off. I have always been able to get it working in sunlight, or overcast, or shade with the integral shades, and a little judicious positioning. I also make sure that the rounds pass about 7-9" above the sensors, and centered left to right over them.

BTW, Have you called PACT and asked for help? They will probably give you a hand here.

Regards,

George yes it comes up with 24" I am thanking it is the sunlight. I will have to call PACT to see what they can come up with. Don't get me wrong I like my PACT as a timer I am just trying to get the chronograph working. The range I shoot at is busy all the time and it is hard to change things on it I have to wait for the line to go cold every time. But I will work on it.

Thanks for the info

My two bits:

1. Make sure your tripod is ROCK solid. Nothing should wobble due to muzzle blast. Any wobbling will change the background illumination the sensors see.

2. Make sure the lighting is even across the skyscreens. If one's in the sunlight and one's in a shadow you'll get all sorts of goofy readings. Shooting under a translucent canopy/cover on a bright, sunny day can make a tremendous difference in consistency of readings.

3. Make sure your cables are plugged into the correct sockets. I've color-coded mine so I can tell which is which even with the cables bundled up.

4. Place a target behind the skyscreens and mark an aim point that corresponds to the "center of mass" the skyscreens. Make sure the skyscreens are exactly parallel to the line of fire so you're not shooting at a tangent to the skyscreens and/or missing one of the sensors with the bullet.

5. Clean the sensor plugs with alcohol. Make sure your cables are undamaged.

Beyond that, it sounds like a warranty issue.

The last time I did a bunch of chronoing - I was under a white-tarped carport cover. (The have these on most of the bays at the local range.) They give a very even, diffuse light. (This probably would *not* be a good idea on a dark, cloudy day.) I found out about the changing light issue when the sun moved and one skyscreen became shaded while the other was in full sunlight. My readings went to total hell and it took a while to figure out what happened.

Good Luck!

Another thing to try is cleaning the lens over the sensors. I use a camera lens brush. Mine gets picky if the lenses are dusty.

I've also had problems chronographing black moly coated lead bullets in my .40.

Have you tried chronographing a different gun, like a .22?