Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617 To Combat High Cost of 625 Practice

LPatterson

Well I bought a 617 to practice with this winter to lower my practice costs, now the question is how much/what to do to smooth it up? Are speed loaders available? Who makes a holster that I can use for range carry?

This revo stuff is so different from the bottom feeders that I need lots of HELP.

About the only thing I would do is change the sights and grips to the same type as the 625.

The Garcia Extreme, Speed-Sec 5, or Limcat holsters should work with no mods. Making a .22 cal plug or a muzzle cup for the CRSpeed shouldn't be too difficult.

Sadly you can't lighten a 22 too much or you will get light strikes.

The speed loader Carmoney posted the link to are the heat.

I don't have a 10 shot gun so I don't have any but I have seen them and know folks that do.

Other than that just shoot A LOT!

I like to shoot my 625 also but rather than practice with a .22 revolver which will never be similar to a 625 no matter what you do with it I prefer to dryfire using dummy rounds.

I tried speed loaders for a model 17 years ago and you can forget any notion about fast reloads and even if you could reload it fast it still wouldnt be practice for a 625 which uses moonclips

Well thats my opinion and I fully realise its worth exactly what you paid for it.

al

Well I bought a 617 to practice with this winter to lower my practice costs, now the question is how much/what to do to smooth it up? Are speed loaders available? Who makes a holster that I can use for range carry?

This revo stuff is so different from the bottom feeders that I need lots of HELP.

Clean it, lube it, shoot it. Keep shooting it.

For the sake of simplicity leave the sights alone, they are fiine.

Don't worry about speed loaders for the 22. Practice on reloads with the 625.

If you can be smooth on your 617's trigger you are good to go on the 625.

Due to the high cost of reloading I wonder if another solution some older shooters use to use wouldn't be more helpful. I'm thinking of primed cases with wax bullets. Primers are still less than .22s' and the wax couldn't be that hard to clean. Reloading with full moon clips wouldn't be the same though.

I use an old 617-1 6 shot for practice shooting. Forget about reloads, the rounds have to be pushed into chambers. They don't fall in. It is good cheap practice. You can get 5000 rds of CCI Blazer 22lr for $125.00 and no reloading. Best trigger pull I can get with reliable ignition is a 6lb DA pull. Just got a 10 shot also. 617's are addicting.

I've got 2 DS-10's on the way. Seems that if you're reloads are with comp 3's or jetloaders they'd be realistic practice. I doubt they're much practice for a weak hand reload with full moons and a 625. Just too different.

Forget about reloads, the rounds have to be pushed into chambers. They don't fall in.

By design, the DS-10 speedloaders actually push the rounds into the chambers. They're pretty slick.

What Dremel bit would you use to chamfer the cylinder? :unsure:

Maybe some side matches, money match?, with only .22's. Would be better than air soft.

I have a 4" 617 and a 4" 625. The 617 makes me wish I had a full lug barrel for my 66. The 617 will be good for learning one handed shooting, especially weak hand. You really should have the same contour trigger and weight of pull for both guns. Any differences will be very noticeable. And of course the grips should be identical too.

Dave Sinko

Not that we need anymore classes but it would be neat to have a "Fun" 22 class. Even if it werent official I think guys,gals,& kids would have a good time...I know I have a CZ Kadet that would be fun and cheap to shoot...Guess I have to pick up a 617 now!!

BTW: I guess you could even expand the same class with the option of carbine (10-22) also...A cheap "two" gun class....

I bought a 617 to practice for cheap too, back when I was still shooting revolvers (625 in competition). I found the value of the 617 limited in te amount of things I could do, but very valuable for accuracy work and one handed shooting.

Other freestyle stuff I rather practiced with the 625 otherwise it felt like I was shooting a .44 magnum when I switched back. My timing would be off etc.

But with one handed shooting, timing sucks anyways. It's more of a precision thing, so the .22 is good for that ;)

Thanks for all the help & info. I know a lot of things wont be the same, like reloads & recoil but I am trying to get used to the DA trigger after years with a 1911. I have a 22/45 & a dozen mags for practice drills SH/WH & transitions and now I WANT a 22 revolver. I really needed the source for the speed loaders because I hate feeding chambers 1 at a time. I think I will order 4 of the speed loaders & 2 blocks so I can concentrate on the shooting part instead of reloading. I located a holster at BladeTeck specially made for the 617 so that is on order & should be here by the time snow flies. I have other revolvers but the 686 suffers from the same problem as the 625, I need to reload for it & the 4" 29 starts to hurt after a couple of boxes.

This started when S&W held a show & shoot for retail salespeople in the area & they allowed me to shoot the guns along with the salespeople. S&W bought TC & they had a 375JDJ as well as the 454 Casuell, 460 & 500 S&W. I am sorry that I am a wimp but the hand cannons were no fun at all. The 40 Sigma was a letdown but the new 1911 was about the same as my Springfield Loaded. I wish more gun companies would sponsor things like this so the salespeople had a better idea what they are selling.

I just picked up my 617 today and will be ordering the DS-10s tonight. It's my birthday so I felt I had to treat myself. Since one of oor local clubs puts on the Steel Challange match every month and has a side category for .22s I plan on using it there and getting my timing and accuracy back.

I'm also new to revolver, and this sounds like a good idea for some of the fundamentals (WH, SH, etc.). I shoot a 5" 625, and the 617 appears to be offered in 4" & 6". Which one would someone with experience recommend?

I think I'd like the accuracy of the longer sight radius, but the 4" might force you to pay more attention to those things on top of the barrel at either end. I would also assume that the 4" may be closer to the weight of a 5" 625.

How light is the action on your 617s? I picked mine up and it started out at 12 lbs. I did a little work on it and now it's settled at 7# 4oz. I think I can live with that but I'm waiting for a new rebound spring and that should bring it down another pound or two. As long as it's reliable that's the most important factor.

Carmoney, thanks for the good comments, you own the first DS-10's ever sold. I have made almost 500 now.

See guys? I'm a PIONEER!! :D

Dave, it's great to hear how successful the DS-10s have been--although I'm not surprised. It's really a smart design, and having a set of speedloaders for the 617 helps a fun revolver become even more fun. Nice to see you here on the forum.

the 617 appears to be offered in 4" & 6". Which one would someone with experience recommend?

I have an old (-1) 6" 6 shot I reallly like. I had a 4" that I really didn't care for. Thought it would be a good companion for my 4" 629 but I liked the 6" better. Picked up an 8 3/8" 10 shot I really like also. I shoot USPSA with a 5" 625.

I have been shooting a 646 in IDPA for the last 3 years or so. I have also been looking for a 4" 617 (no dash) for about that same length of time to set up like the 646 for practice. I have had a 6" 617 (no dash) for many years but it does not have the same feel as the 646. I finally got a 4" 617 (no dash) in July and have set it up like the 646. It has made a TREMENDOUS improvement in my shooting.

The 617 and the 646 are only 2 onces different and they balance and feel almost the same.

The 617 has a slightly heavier DA pull but like Mike said (and to me about 2 months ago) it is probably a good thing to have the practice gun a little heavier.

617-RS1.jpg

646BT1.jpg

Neither the 4" 617 or the 6" 617 feel much like my 5" 625. I just bought a 4" 625-3 and will set it up like the others. To me it feels much more akin to the 4" 617 than does the 5" 625.

LDnD-1.jpg

You might not get as great a benefit with the 617 / 625 combo as the 617 / 646 combo but I suspect that it would still be well worth the time & money spent on it.

James

Carmoney did you lighten the trigger on your 617? Did you cut down the hammer? I was able to get my trigger pull down to 8 lbs using a lighter rebound spring but I'm afraid to change the main spring.

Do you know of a reliable ammo if you do shoot with a light trigger action.

Edited by AzShooter