Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 6" SightTracker?

jasmap

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By App. D2, a six inch barrel -- factory component -- mated to a five inch slide -- factory component -- is approved. By the same rule, cutting a "port" in a six inch slide, and installing a front sight on a six in barrel, as Sean Gaines suggests, should also be acceptable.

I also agree that the "minimum production of 500 units" requirement is arbitrary and at the same time contrary to the spirit of Limited division, which should showcase and represent, for each individual competitor, the best non-compensated and non-optic pistol. On this forum, if you do a search for "sighttracker", there was a lot of discussion, when the sighttracker barrels and STI TruSight were first approved, about whether those guns would make traditional guns obsolete. In IPSC there was the SPS Pelican gun [?]. Now, we have a prevalence of lightened six inch guns. None of those innovations were the holy grail of pistols, and some of those seem to have fallen out of current favor. When you look at what the Top Guns are using, the majority seem to rely on a fairly standard five or six inch gun, with whatever personal preferences they like.

While I do not believe there is a holy grail pistol out there, if such a thing exists should it not be discovered and proven by a USPSA competitor? Ciao amigos.

-br

That would be one tall sight. I agree though that Limited should not have the restrictions that it currently has. No comps, optics, and a 140mm mag.

I agree... if you like a bunch of rules go with production. :roflol:

Limited should keep the rules to a minimum, we don't need that division micro managed.

JT

Ah guys (not just you JT), take a wee step back here. If you want minimum rules we have a division for that...Open. If you want a division with some rules we have a division for that....Limited. A Limited gun is limited in what you can do to it/with it...hence the name. The number of additional rules between Limited and Production is massive, so it's a division that's not even close to being micro-managed.

There are really only a couple of things that people seem to suggest when talking about changing the rules in Limited, so it's not like there's widespread dissatisfaction with how the division is set up now. R,

By App. D2, a six inch barrel -- factory component -- mated to a five inch slide -- factory component -- is approved. By the same rule, cutting a "port" in a six inch slide, and installing a front sight on a six in barrel, as Sean Gaines suggests, should also be acceptable.

Not according to Armidon. I emailed him last week, he specifically told me that I could NOT use a 6" barrel in a 5" slide.

Not according to Armidon. I emailed him last week, he specifically told me that I could NOT use a 6" barrel in a 5" slide.

Not to disrespect John, but what weight does his opinion carry absent a formal NROI ruling? Did he give you reasoning for his opinion, which appears to contradict the express rules?

-br

I may have misquoted, or misrepresented, his response to me. My appologies to John if I did.

I specifically asked if I could add one inch to a 5inch barrel. He said no, not in a factory 5" gun. I can not add 1" to a 5" barrel for use in a 5" gun. He did not say that I couldn't use a factory 6" barrel in a 5" gun, because that was not specifically what I asked. I took it to mean (my interpretation) that I could not have a barrel extend past the slide 1". A 5" gun must have a 5" barrel, a 6" gun must have a 6" barrel. That was MY impression, not his.

I may have misquoted, or misrepresented, his response to me. My appologies to John if I did.

I specifically asked if I could add one inch to a 5inch barrel. He said no, not in a factory 5" gun. I can not add 1" to a 5" barrel for use in a 5" gun. He did not say that I couldn't use a factory 6" barrel in a 5" gun, because that was not specifically what I asked. I took it to mean (my interpretation) that I could not have a barrel extend past the slide 1". A 5" gun must have a 5" barrel, a 6" gun must have a 6" barrel. That was MY impression, not his.

But, can a 6 inch gun have a 5 inch slide? I mean, it started out as a 6 inch slide, but I milled it down to a 5 inch.

If it was my decision to make, I'd say sure. I didn't think the barrel could protrude from the slide (more than whatever is considered normal). The same could be said about commander slides using 5" barrels. One step further, an officer slide is even lighter. Would a factory Officer slide using a 6" barrel be legal?

But, can a 6 inch gun have a 5 inch slide? I mean, it started out as a 6 inch slide, but I milled it down to a 5 inch.

I believe the answer is NO in a USPSA match. The barrel can not be an inch longer than the slide, if that is what your asking.