Office Software for Mac

EricW

OK,

I see available:

- MS Orifice

- Abi Word

- Mariner

- iWork

I know that I can download trials, but what is people's experience? I don't need to do any "programming" in my documents. Just need solid software that supported with updates as appropriate.

Thanks in advance!

E

Google Docs (use firefox)

Hmm please read the what you agree to when using google docs. You may look at sections 4.3 (they can discontinue the service with no warning), 8.3 ( they can remove, flag, modify, etc, all content), 11.1 (by uploading your content you grant google a free and forever license to use modify reproduce, publish, etc your content), and 11.2 (and they can also give that content to whoever else they want to, or even sell it)

No thanx.

Eric, try Open Office. MS Office works pretty well too.

I think that all the iWork applications can save in the MS formats so you don't have to use Microsoft products at all if you don't want. I use Pages and Keynote all the time and love them... tried using Word a few times and (like most MS products) it was not a happy experience.

For about $80 you get Pages (word processing), Keynote (for presentations) and Numbers for the spreadsheet stuff.

Updates are available for any Apple Software through the Software Update option that checks your applications against the list of updated ones and downloads any that you might be missing, you can schedule Software Update to run periodically and it will notify you of any updates that you need.

You can move items between all three applications if you want to, seamless programming, gotta love it.

I use NeoOffice. I don't actually need it for much, but it has not let me down.

Product Description:

NeoOffice is a fully-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, drawing, and database programs) for Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice incorporates dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoft Office. Unlike the Mac OS X release of OpenOffice.org, NeoOffice does not require the X11 windowing system.

Released as free, open-source software under the GNU General Public License (GPL), NeoOffice is fully functional and stable enough for everyday use. The software is actively developed, and updates and improvements are available on a regular basis.

I use NeoOffice. I don't actually need it for much, but it has not let me down.

Product Description:

NeoOffice is a fully-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, drawing, and database programs) for Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice incorporates dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoft Office. Unlike the Mac OS X release of OpenOffice.org, NeoOffice does not require the X11 windowing system.

Released as free, open-source software under the GNU General Public License (GPL), NeoOffice is fully functional and stable enough for everyday use. The software is actively developed, and updates and improvements are available on a regular basis.

+1 for NeoOffice. I also have MSoffice and NEO office can do most anything that MSoffice can do and it is free.

Thanks! :) But, not exactly my...ahem...highly scienschmific "process." I've found that by using labels as part of normal pages, they doubles as searchable shipping records. Putting every customer into the address book would probably shut the app down in no time as the list is a couple thousand items long now. :o

But thanks for the tip! I'm a gonna have lots o' questions. Right now, I'm totally stoked that PDFs show up in the email browser. I know that seems like a cheap thrill, but that's a huge feature for me. It really makes my life easier. :)

Edited by EricW

One bit of advice. I just helped my parents move their data from a mac to a pc and the biggest problem with the whole adventure was with Microsoft Entourage. This is the email program. Whatever you go with, I would keep in mind if it can be easily moved to a MS format. While mac are definately better for some things, for some reason pcs still dominate the landscape.

Although my worklife (advertising/design/marketing) is predominately InDesign, Acrobat Pro, PhotoShop and Dreamweaver, I end up using MS Office, mostly Excel and Word with PowerPoint on occasion.

The MS products, as usual try to think for you---funny how they never make the same choices I would given my druthers---but are OK and compatible with PC-using clients. However, As Galt's experience showed, Entourage can sometimes be a real problem child, occasionally creating issues on the Mac, particularly after OS updates, etc.

I stick with Apple's Mail, myself.

Curtis

• 3 weeks later...
OK,

I see available:

- MS Orifice

- Abi Word

- Mariner

- iWork

I know that I can download trials, but what is people's experience? I don't need to do any "programming" in my documents. Just need solid software that supported with updates as appropriate.

Thanks in advance!

E

I use IWork, and the three programs in it play well with Office. I've transferred all of my word files over to Pages (IWork's word processor). I'm looking to get rid of Microsoft software from my 3 Macs. 2 are down 1 to go.

See Ya,

John

• 1 year later...