Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Snake and the Frog

Odie

I don't give a lot of thought to Zen, don't know much about the concept. I'll try and write this from a standpoint of neutrality, I would just like share what I saw. I'm at the range the other day, doing my thing. I keep hearing this weird noise in my electronic muffs. There's a man and young child in the bay next to me, and I think at first maybe the child has a game or is just making a wierd noise. Finally I figure out it's in the weeds. I walk over and see a Garter snake, and he has a frog. The frog is making noise, and for good reason. I find myself feeling sorry for the frog, and listen to the thoughts in my own head. If I kill the snake, he's just dead, and the frog probably dies too. If I take the frog from the snake, the snake may die this winter, and the frog probably dies later as well. If I frighten the snake, and he drops the frog, the snake probably dies this winter and the frog dies too. If I leave things alone, the snake probably lives and the frog certainly dies. I decided this whole scenario was much larger than me, and it would be arrogant to interviene. There was nothing evil here. The snake was without malice, just doing his job. He was quick, accurate with his strike and without judgement earned a meal. The frog was apparently less quick, and while not DESERVING of dying, was going to power the snake's exsistence. My view was that is just the way of things. I thought about our sport, and likened what I saw to what we do. Those on top are there because of something they did or learned. I would venture to say they are quick and most are probably without judgement. Those who don't win don't DESERVE to lose, but they lose nonetheless. I guess that too is the way of things. If everyone won, we wouldn't have a game. I'm just running my head, anyone who has thoughts feel free to add.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would have just peed on them and see what happened! :D

OK, all kidding aside, you are wrong, sorry. The frog DID deserve to die. He was slower and weaker than the frog that got away. That one is humping the dead frog's girlfriend and stronger, faster offspring will result. It is what it is.

You should have killed them both. A nice meal or two. A wallet and a bookmark, perhaps snake skin grips for a gun. How wasteful. The powers that be put you in position to feed and clothe yourself and all you walk away with is an analogy to competition shooting. An epiphany? That's all? Your lucky it wasn't a setup. That frog and snake might have feasted all winter.

The frog sounded really pitiful, looking back now, maybe TOO pitiful. :unsure: It very well could have been a setup, I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps if I had gotten closer they might have sprung their trap. I could have been killed. :surprise: I see that frog and snake again and I'll know something's up, especially if they're in my favorite bay again. Waiting. Lurking. Biding their time eagerly awaiting that guy with the filthy G-35 with motor oil and crud oozing out of it. Oh, the HORROR!

Jim, that only leaves us in the dark. The REAL question is what would you have done if the snake was eating a Grizzly bear?

uh.... run like hell? :P

Nice original post...however.... no more cast lead for you.. too much lead vapor is my initial diagnosis.

I had a similar experience when I swerved my truck to avoid running over a tarantula wasp. Then I thought of what a tarantula wasp does; it stings and paralyzes a tarantula and lays its eggs on it, when they hatch they slowly devour the tarantula alive. I remember thinking I bet the tarantulas would have preferred I had run it over.

After that I became almost completely nihilistic with regards to nature. Think of it this way, if you killed the snake you probably would have saved hundreds of frogs. By letting the frog die, you saved the lives of hundreds or thousands of insects.

For some reason this episode reminds me of this: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33140