Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What you see on picture?

Demax

I usually screw up pretty bad when I figure something like this, so if it is FUBAR, sorry.

figure a 1000 fps round. That's 12000 inches per second. That looks like a fairly low to med light level and a camera on auto may try to capture it at 1/250 sec. During the time the shutter is open (using the analogy of a film camera) the bullet will have traveled 48 inches. Even if the shutter speed is 1/1000 the bullet would have traveled 12 inches.

The picture shows something about 2 inches long. If the camera had caught the bullet in either of the two scenarios above (1/250 or 1/1000) it would have left a streak of 48 inches or 12 inches respectively.

So, I would guess as much as I would like to see a bullet stopped in flight with a digital or film camera, I don't think that's what it is.

I think the firefly probably comes the closest :goof:

dj

edited to add that maybe someone who knows what I'm talking about can chime in :surprise:

dj

Edited by dajarrel

figure a 1000 fps round. That's 12000 inches per second. That looks like a fairly low to med light level and a camera on auto may try to capture it at 1/250 sec. During the time the shutter is open (using the analogy of a film camera) the bullet will have traveled 48 inches. Even if the shutter speed is 1/1000 the bullet would have traveled 12 inches.

The picture shows something about 2 inches long. If the camera had caught the bullet in either of the two scenarios above (1/250 or 1/1000) it would have left a streak of 48 inches or 12 inches respectively.

That pretty much sums it up.

BTW, a shutter speed of 1/1000 would have frozen the slide and brass motion, so I guess it was in the 1/125 - 1/250 ballpark too.

Either that, or the ejected brass is travelling at the same speed of the bullet ... ;)

Definitely a spark of burning powder.

Edited by Skywalker