Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help trigger FREEZE!

shooterbenedetto

relax. i get trigger freeze when i "try to go fast" instead of just watching the sights/dot and let your subconscious take over. In dry-fire, just make sure your finger comes completely off the trigger when you are simulating multiple shots.

relax. i get trigger freeze when i "try to go fast" instead of just watching the sights/dot and let your subconscious take over. In dry-fire, just make sure your finger comes completely off the trigger when you are simulating multiple shots.

H is right.... if i really try to rock splits I'll freeze. If I don't "think" about shooting fast I never have any trouble and can shoot .10-.14 without to much trouble. I don't find much use for being that fast on splits as my sight picture, at that speed, is a blur. I find .17-.24 area is as fast as I'm able to "see" what I need to over 15yrds.

• 2 months later...

H is right.... if i really try to rock splits I'll freeze. If I don't "think" about shooting fast I never have any trouble and can shoot .10-.14 without to much trouble. I don't find much use for being that fast on splits as my sight picture, at that speed, is a blur. I find .17-.24 area is as fast as I'm able to "see" what I need to over 15yrds.

.10-.14 without to much trouble BS

I had a great workout tonight. My draw was kickn and I was shooting As like never before. That A zone seemed to be twice the size it is. I was working the draw and two shots on one target and out of 50 draws I only missed two with Cs The draw and two shoots wasn't blazing, but around 1.15-1.45. That's fast for me shooting almost all As. Also grabbed a couple of the trasition and splits... I said I could pull off .08, but the best I saw tonight was .09s. There were maybe 8 of them tonight. Here is a pic of the 2 trans and splits.

9.jpg

I need to work on those transitions....

I don't doubt JT's trigger ability

Edited by yoshidaex

I run alot of return tension on my trigger to prevent trigger freeze. That is if you are shooting a 1911. Just adjust your center leaf spring forward to put more tension on the back of the trigger bow. This is a trick taught to me by a couple very good shooters and it solved my problem. I hope this helps and the bill drills help to, not to mention they are a great stress reliever!

The reason most of us get trigger freeze has to do with improper grip with your strong hand. Too much trigger finger or too hard of a squeeze in the rest of the hand or both.

The improper grip combined with the desire to just absolutely hose makes it even easier to get. Relax that grip a little and make sure you pull straight back on the trigger instead of pushing or pulling on it.

Brian

I've shot competitive trap for over 30 years and most if not all trapshooters get "trigger freeze", which I think is just another word for a flinch. Part of your brain tells you to pull the trigger while the other part says, "hold on a sec., you're not on the target".

I've also had this happen during pistol competition and it is usually when I try to go faster than I should.

In my experience, sometimes just trying to go a little slower will help, but the minute you forget to do this you'll start to freeze again. Time will cure the flinch. If it is REALLY bad, take a couple of weeks off and practice via visualization or try shooting another discipline (such as Bullseye, IDPA, Steel, etc.). Good luck!

I just want to do a little math on the splits...

A 0.09 split equals 660 RPM, a 0.08 split equals 720 RPM. An HKMP5 is at 750 - 800 RPM. An M16 is 600 - 750 RPM (depending on buffer weight).

That's seems a little out of range for a human to be that fast, but I am willing to be amazed! Anyone have a vid of someone going that fast?

Ever seen Miculek's video of 8 shots in 1 second? It sounds like a machine gun, but is still only .12 - .13 splits (I say "only" but don't mean it like it's easy!), equaling 480 RPM. Check out

If you don't sound faster then that you are not doing what you think you are.

FYI, I shoot .15-.16 splits with "ease", with an occasional .14 and have never seen a .13 split... I know I am slow, but am willing to learn to be fast.

Sorry to steal the thread on trigger freeze. Please, back to the regularly scheduled program.

• 1 month later...
+1 on to much tension. you got a death grip on the gun. It somethimes happens to me when I am trying to shoot up close targets too fast.

I found myself doing this when my strong hand grip is greater than my weak hand grip and that includes squeezing the trigger to hard.

• 10 months later...

I remember reading this thread and wanted to bring it back up because I'm now experiencing trigger freeze.

I was able to do some bill drills with a buddy a few weeks ago. Something I don't get to do very often because of limited live fire practice. My first go at it cold was 2 seconds flat, all A's. That was and is my best time ever. From there it went down hill. I was trying to beat 2 seconds :rolleyes: instead of just shooting at my capabilities and observing what I was doing. The harder I would try the more trigger freeze I would get. My buddy would say, stop trying so hard. Stop trying to go so fast. And I knew this was being counter productive but just too stubborn to stop.

The good thing that came out of that session was the first run. Everything felt right. Not blazing fast, but smooth. I could see my dot basically never leaving the A zone through all six shots. My splits were all right at .20 and very comfortable. The run seemed in slow motion. But when I try to go out of my comfort zone and push harder I got trigger freeze.

It's good to know what kind of splits I can do comfortably so I can look at a stage with swingers and know how I need to shoot it based on my capabilities. I do want to improve my split times, but how? I can see faster than my mind or finger can pull the trigger. Do I just keep doing as many bill drills as I can? It's hard to practice splits in dryfire with a single action trigger.

Oh btw, during that session I was able to manage a .12 split. Don't know if I can do it again. It was my last shot of the day and I was beat from putting so much pressure on myself. It almost seemed like my gun doubled when it happened. It felt like I almost didn't even pull the trigger. After 5th shot I ease up just a little on the trigger but could still feel pressure on the trigger and my mind tells me to break the shot just as it went off. It was wierd, but I liked it.

So I'm a little confused. My way of thinking says I need to push myself out of my comfort zone during practice and stay within my comfort zone during matches. But when I pushed myself (and got trigger freeze) that seemed counter productive. How should I have approached this practice session

I recently started experiencing trigger freeze. I came to realize the non-toxic MPro7 I was using to clean my gun was causing some sort of friction with my trigger. So I switched back to Hoppe’s #9. Problem solved. In the future I might try the center leaf spring adjustment that “shooter_rob” mentioned also.

This is spooky, I recently did some work on my Limited gun and went to practice with it. I constantly had trigger freeze. I thought it might be a weak reset, so I put more tension on the middle leaf of the flatspring and voila, no more trigger freeze.

For the experts, how much does strong hand tension affect splits and trigger freeze??

• 4 weeks later...

I like taking a brick of .22's and one of those conversion uppers with me to the range.

Probably not an option for Open shooters...

Anyways, I found, burning through a couple hundred .22's in Bill Drills or on an easy steel target really loosens up the trigger finger. After a few mags, the tension is gone and the gun needs a break to cool down.

Cheaper than centerfire, too... Just my $.02.

One method I found that helped with trigger freeze on Bill Drills was to have my buddy record the time for the drill, but not tell me the number. This way, I was not trying to beat my last time and stayed focused on technique and score. This technique gave us a much better sense of our natural speed and tended to show more about consistency in performance.