Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A few (7) things I have noticed

Hardball

Alright, I spent almost three whole years not shooting.

There have been a few things that I have personally noted about myself after coming back. I am interested to see if there are others who have taken some time off and dealt with similar circumstances. Part of the purpose of taking time off was to find myself and why I was so disgusted with not physically cutting it anymore. Part of my drive to be the best somewhat made me angry at the fact that it was ten times as difficult for me to run certain stages in the same time as someone of my same class. It is physically harder because of former injuries that limit my body to certain things. I saw, and still see, myself as no different than those around me, but the reality is that I can not move as efficiently. In short, a long time ago, in a land far away I was shot and lost my left hamstring. I have muscle there, but it is from elsewhere in my body, and it is just enough to allow me to walk and jog slowly. When I run, it takes enormous energy for me to start, and enormous energy to stop. So, in short, I began to feel as though I was being unrealistic with myself prior to taking the time off. Now that I am back I am finding these few things are apparent:

1. I still have the same routines when I prep a stage. I still do the same mental walkthrough, etc. but I find it hard to really get fired up and run "at full speed".

2. I have at times noticed that I will walk up to a stage and find it hard to actually care. Not that I am not having fun, I just don't care about whether or not I shoot the stage to the best of my ability and it shows at the end of the stage.

3. I have found that I can still call my shots, but almost always am a half trigger pull away from being able to adjust them when needed. I know I need to not shoot because I am in hard cover, but keep on the follow through with the trigger and just move along.

4. I have found that I am less than concerned about where I finish while actually prepping a match and shooting it, but am still just as disappointed when I perform poorly. Meaning: I go to a match to shoot now, and not compete necessarily, but it still disappoints me not to finish competitively.

5. I see those who I used to shoot along side of routinely now about 1-3 classes above where I am and find that it is no longer an inspiration but almost an embarrassment. Those who know me, know how competitive I was (and am) and know that I have the desire to be competitive with them, I just find that it is hard to get motivated to get back up to speed so to speak.

6. I have found that drills that used to work, now only bore the living crap out of me. Dry fire excluded, Bill Drills, etc. just prove to me that I have a lot to work on, but I can't figure out what it is most of the time. More so that I don't know where to start fixing things, than what to fix because there are so many.

7. I wake up on match days (Saturdays mostly) and decide at that point whether or not I am shooting that day based on whether or not I want to sleep in. At times I would rather sleep till I can't, than get up and get to the range. I used to wake up before the alarm clock, be digging through my bag and making sure all of my gear was together, etc. because I used to LOVE coming to the range. These days, I am lucky to LIKE shooting enough to not just turn the alarm off and roll back over. I still LOVE to shoot, and love to smell the gunpowder burning, but it takes real motivation for me to get to the range. Once I get to the range I am usually happy as hell that I went. ( I guess the point to this one is I don't know where my motivation has gone.)

Anywho, not trying to QQ, just trying to pew pew. (gamers know what that means)

Try and find a newbi or junior shooter to mentor so you have another reason to go to the range. Also you can try the competing against yourself thing until you get the old fire back. Don't worry about how you rank against anyone else. I have a bum foot that gets worse as the day goes on and you can follow my scores from fast to slow from first stage to last and it drives me crazy, so i know some of your pain. Hang in there the fire will burn bright again.

+1 to what Vulture said.

I haven't been there so I don't know if I can contribute anything but I felt saddened and moved by your post. I am a new shooter so I have yet to experience burn out. I am also 48 and I don't move near as quickly as I used to and my eyes aren't what they used to be. But I live for and look forward ALL WEEK to Sundays match. Just like you stated that you used to do, I'm up before the alarm getting all my stuff together. Same routine every week. Leave the house at daylight, go out to breakfast at the choke & puke, stop by Krispy Kreme and get a couple of dozen donuts for the guys and off to the range.

You have a competitive nature and it seems like you feel that you can no longer compete. I sense the pain and frustration in your post. I think this is why you have lost the drive and determination. What you are saying, brings to mind a few of the guys that I shoot with. Hip relacements, arthritis, bum knees, etc. I've seen video of these guys back in the day and they were burners. I can sometimes sense their frustration also. These guys have helped me tremendously starting out and now I beat some of them at the matches. Getting older and having aches and pains that slow you down sucks. But I love these guys and miss them when they're not at the match.

Instead of focusing on what you can't do anymore, try focusing on what you can do. You can call you shots. I can't do that very well yet. Make it a competition with yourself to get all A's on every stage at every match. Forget about the time. Focus on total accuracy. We have one guy that does that and he comes in close to the bottom of the scoring every week but damn he's accurate and it's easy to score him too (all alpha's).

This is a great sport we're in and some of the nicest and most genuine people that I have ever met. If I couldn't shoot anymore I would still have to go to the matches for the camaraderie and the friends and just to "talk story".

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can find reason to keep shooting. I'm sure the guys that you shoot with enjoy having you there whether you can run or not :)

DonT

I'll bet you can still burn down a short course where excessive movement isn't an issue though, right?

That said, injuries and age can really suck. Nothing in life is constant...accept for change, but change can either be perceived as positive or negative depending on what mind-set an individual views it with. I have always been very athletic and have prided myself on being able to do things that guys half my age often couldn't do, but injuries and time are inexorable and I am now finding some of those things are more or less impossible to do now. Since I tore the ligaments in my shoulder a year and a half ago I've had to find a way to shoot with my collar bone popped out of position, which feels creepy but more importantly, screws up my index. But gradually that is coming together....I'm adapting. I'm figuring out work-arounds in the gym too, so I don't feel like I am going to turn into a big bag of fat because I can't exercise. The fact is that I can; just differently than I used to. I've seen double amputees with two prosthetics getting around better than some people do who are whole, and that was an inspiration to say the least. They may not be the same as they once were before whatever it was that took their legs, but really, no one ever is.

I think the most important lesson for me has been to learn to deal with what is "the now" and set my current goals from that base-line, rather than define my goals according to what I once was. Maybe I can be there again; maybe I can't, but I will always strive for growth and I find that a motivation in and of itself.

Good luck with your journey. Never give up!

I'm not an expert in this at all, but if I may offer a suggestion.

Try reading "Fearless Golf". I think you will find that almost all of these observations are addressed in one way or another with suggestions for getting into the "mastery" mode of thinking.

Then again, I may be completely off base as to your objectives with respect to yourself and shooting.

Just some food for thought.

Cecil

From a Friend who was there in the olden days and faces many of the same demons.

First thoughts:

A#1. Fix your equipment. You have to remove your equipment as an excuse from the equation. It's a hard pill to swallow, but your old rig is wore out, won't group and won't run reliably. You need to able to get through a match with no thought of a manlfunciton, and knowing that every round went exactly where the sights were. Otherwise it's just a headache. You've seen new shooters with gear that won't run. That's the first thing we address, because if they can't get through a match smoothly and have fun, they won't come back.

2. "Empty your cup" and start over fresh. No status, no experience, just interest. You are just coming back, so treat it as a new beginning, your first match. LEARN how to shoot this game all over again. That's what I do at IDPA. I go out with a big grin and ask them how to run this, and can I do that. They think I am messing around, but I am truly opening up and learning all over, because it's been almost 10 years, but I can still remember that first match feeling.

You'll just be the new guy who catches on pretty quick. How long does it take to shoot two two A's at 20y? You don't know so you have to watch the sights with new eyes. Open new eyes to the match when you get out of the car tomorrow (CFRPC don't be late). Walk through the stages and let someone who's only shot 3 or 4 matches explain to YOU how to shoot the stage. Don't offer any advice. Just open the receivers and grin. Or grab some veteran "M" you don't normally talk to and ask them what they are looking at in this stage.

3. Have fun. Sounds simple, but make it happen. Play different games, like secretly deciding you have to shoot this course (or match) Virginia Count, or minor, or shoot the entire thing moving. Shoot an open guy's plan when you're running a Limited gun. Play "Toirtise and Hare" with a shooter close to your skill, (you have to beat him by 10% of the time, he has to beat you by 10% of the points, anything else is a tie for the stage). Find a way to make those same old stages new and exciting.

You've heard the old "feast or forget" rule. When you're at a match feast on what you did well, and once analyzed forget your mistakes.

4. If you want to move past the fun and be more competitive that's fine. Work within what you CAN do. The old "Book of Five Rings" mentality. If you can't move quick, then make sure you are the smoothest mother out there, and shoot the friggin' points moving. Quick feet may get you that last few percent at a match, but smooth points will get you most of the way. Create a new self image, one you like.

5. Learn to look at your shooting objectively. Wherever you are RIGHT NOW you have strengths and weakneses. Lean on the strengths and work on the weaknesses. Every time you make a weakness into a strength, find another one. Pick a pace car, in your division or not, and slowly run them down, 1 point, & 1 % at a time. Keep track of what you do well, not just your mistakes. How many points are you dropping on open statics inside 15y? How many targets are you shooting on the move? Are you flowing through the arrays or stages? How many extra shots did you shoot on steel? Did you shoot a clean match? No extra shots on steel? Have 6 good draws in a row at the local? Never get off your plan or miss a reload? Those are accomplishments. Keep track of them.

Know what you're doing well, and what needs work. IF you don't know where you're getting beat, figure it out!!! Ask someone to watch you vs, guys in your class or division. Is it points? Movement? Stage cutting? It's got to be something. Granted, right now it's probably a little of everything, but work one problem at a time.

Find friends who like shooting, I bet you know a few, and talk about how fun it is. Try peaking for a match once in a while, whether it's a local or national, pick one and get "UP" for it.

See ya out there, brother. :cheers: Welcome back.

This is why I love these forrums :cheers:

From a Friend who was there in the olden days and faces many of the same demons.

First thoughts:

A#1. Fix your equipment. You have to remove your equipment as an excuse from the equation. It's a hard pill to swallow, but your old rig is wore out, won't group and won't run reliably. You need to able to get through a match with no thought of a manlfunciton, and knowing that every round went exactly where the sights were. Otherwise it's just a headache. You've seen new shooters with gear that won't run. That's the first thing we address, because if they can't get through a match smoothly and have fun, they won't come back.

2. "Empty your cup" and start over fresh. No status, no experience, just interest. You are just coming back, so treat it as a new beginning, your first match. LEARN how to shoot this game all over again. That's what I do at IDPA. I go out with a big grin and ask them how to run this, and can I do that. They think I am messing around, but I am truly opening up and learning all over, because it's been almost 10 years, but I can still remember that first match feeling.

You'll just be the new guy who catches on pretty quick. How long does it take to shoot two two A's at 20y? You don't know so you have to watch the sights with new eyes. Open new eyes to the match when you get out of the car tomorrow (CFRPC don't be late). Walk through the stages and let someone who's only shot 3 or 4 matches explain to YOU how to shoot the stage. Don't offer any advice. Just open the receivers and grin. Or grab some veteran "M" you don't normally talk to and ask them what they are looking at in this stage.

3. Have fun. Sounds simple, but make it happen. Play different games, like secretly deciding you have to shoot this course (or match) Virginia Count, or minor, or shoot the entire thing moving. Shoot an open guy's plan when you're running a Limited gun. Play "Toirtise and Hare" with a shooter close to your skill, (you have to beat him by 10% of the time, he has to beat you by 10% of the points, anything else is a tie for the stage). Find a way to make those same old stages new and exciting.

You've heard the old "feast or forget" rule. When you're at a match feast on what you did well, and once analyzed forget your mistakes.

4. If you want to move past the fun and be more competitive that's fine. Work within what you CAN do. The old "Book of Five Rings" mentality. If you can't move quick, then make sure you are the smoothest mother out there, and shoot the friggin' points moving. Quick feet may get you that last few percent at a match, but smooth points will get you most of the way. Create a new self image, one you like.

5. Learn to look at your shooting objectively. Wherever you are RIGHT NOW you have strengths and weakneses. Lean on the strengths and work on the weaknesses. Every time you make a weakness into a strength, find another one. Pick a pace car, in your division or not, and slowly run them down, 1 point, & 1 % at a time. Keep track of what you do well, not just your mistakes. How many points are you dropping on open statics inside 15y? How many targets are you shooting on the move? Are you flowing through the arrays or stages? How many extra shots did you shoot on steel? Did you shoot a clean match? No extra shots on steel? Have 6 good draws in a row at the local? Never get off your plan or miss a reload? Those are accomplishments. Keep track of them.

Know what you're doing well, and what needs work. IF you don't know where you're getting beat, figure it out!!! Ask someone to watch you vs, guys in your class or division. Is it points? Movement? Stage cutting? It's got to be something. Granted, right now it's probably a little of everything, but work one problem at a time.

Find friends who like shooting, I bet you know a few, and talk about how fun it is. Try peaking for a match once in a while, whether it's a local or national, pick one and get "UP" for it.

First thoughts:

This is spot on. Get into your own game and get all the other distractions out of the way. 'Be the newb' ;) . Ask more questions and listen to the advice of those who have been shooting steady for the past 3 years that you've taken off. Have fun and just make the gun go bang as fast and accurately as 'YOU' can. Relax, shoot smooth and have fun and you'll have an 'A' card in 4-6 months.

Alright, I spent almost three whole years not shooting.

There have been a few things that I have personally noted about myself after coming back. I am interested to see if there are others who have taken some time off and dealt with similar circumstances. Part of the purpose of taking time off was to find myself and why I was so disgusted with not physically cutting it anymore. Part of my drive to be the best somewhat made me angry at the fact that it was ten times as difficult for me to run certain stages in the same time as someone of my same class. It is physically harder because of former injuries that limit my body to certain things. I saw, and still see, myself as no different than those around me, but the reality is that I can not move as efficiently. In short, a long time ago, in a land far away I was shot and lost my left hamstring. I have muscle there, but it is from elsewhere in my body, and it is just enough to allow me to walk and jog slowly. When I run, it takes enormous energy for me to start, and enormous energy to stop. So, in short, I began to feel as though I was being unrealistic with myself prior to taking the time off. Now that I am back I am finding these few things are apparent:

1. I still have the same routines when I prep a stage. I still do the same mental walkthrough, etc. but I find it hard to really get fired up and run "at full speed".

2. I have at times noticed that I will walk up to a stage and find it hard to actually care. Not that I am not having fun, I just don't care about whether or not I shoot the stage to the best of my ability and it shows at the end of the stage.

3. I have found that I can still call my shots, but almost always am a half trigger pull away from being able to adjust them when needed. I know I need to not shoot because I am in hard cover, but keep on the follow through with the trigger and just move along.

4. I have found that I am less than concerned about where I finish while actually prepping a match and shooting it, but am still just as disappointed when I perform poorly. Meaning: I go to a match to shoot now, and not compete necessarily, but it still disappoints me not to finish competitively.

5. I see those who I used to shoot along side of routinely now about 1-3 classes above where I am and find that it is no longer an inspiration but almost an embarrassment. Those who know me, know how competitive I was (and am) and know that I have the desire to be competitive with them, I just find that it is hard to get motivated to get back up to speed so to speak.

6. I have found that drills that used to work, now only bore the living crap out of me. Dry fire excluded, Bill Drills, etc. just prove to me that I have a lot to work on, but I can't figure out what it is most of the time. More so that I don't know where to start fixing things, than what to fix because there are so many.

7. I wake up on match days (Saturdays mostly) and decide at that point whether or not I am shooting that day based on whether or not I want to sleep in. At times I would rather sleep till I can't, than get up and get to the range. I used to wake up before the alarm clock, be digging through my bag and making sure all of my gear was together, etc. because I used to LOVE coming to the range. These days, I am lucky to LIKE shooting enough to not just turn the alarm off and roll back over. I still LOVE to shoot, and love to smell the gunpowder burning, but it takes real motivation for me to get to the range. Once I get to the range I am usually happy as hell that I went. ( I guess the point to this one is I don't know where my motivation has gone.)

Anywho, not trying to QQ, just trying to pew pew. (gamers know what that means)

I'm in your boat - so here are my observations.

1) I don't feel this way. I do prep the same way for stages. That's a routine I couldn't get out of if I wanted to. I know I don't open up the full throttle as much as I'd like to, but I also know that with every match I get more and more comfortable with opening up. And for most of the stages I'm running about normal. My glitches are the little ones, missed loads, slower transition's here or there, a little slower on a swinger or something like that. I'll feel better once the rust gets knocked off.

2) Not there with you on this one either. I find my engagement level is higher than it's ever been. Sometimes I honestly wonder if it's the shooting I miss or the competition. Even if it's both, the latter means pumping up for the stage.

3) I know I'm not calling shots as well as I'd like to, but I'd say I am calling them. I'll go with you on this one. A week or two ago I shot a no-shoot (perfed it so I got the target points too). I knew it when I shot it, and probably should have made it up but didn't. I came back into the sport shooting production so I've been really emphasizing points to myself.

4) I just want to win. I go to the match nervous because I want to do well. I'm engaged and tracking things in the match, and I evaluate afterwards. I definitly go in caring about how I do, and I definitly leave with the want to do more and better.

5) There with you on this one. Last match a guy waited around to watch me shoot the stages. I just wish I could have given him something worth watching.

6) With you on this one to a degree. I use the drills to try and accomplish a goal. The bill drill is a perfect example. I'm not a fan of the drill, but I've noticed some timing things so I cranked a few out. I think the drill helped me understand the areas I need to fix. None of the drills bore me - but I see the delta between where I was and where I'm at. I like knowing I can get there instead of wondering. So that drives me a little more.

7) To practice - this is true for me. Though it isn't rolling out of bed for me. It's just "what else do I have to do today" that gets me. On match days - I'm ready to go. I'm glad to be getting back into the swing of things. I like the areas where I see that I haven't lost that much. And I like seeing the work I have to do and understanding it's just a process. The coolest thing for folks like us is that our learning curve will simply be shorter. Because experience constitutes a large percentage of the learning curve - and we've got that - then it's just getting some of the symantics worked out. And that's achievable.

I guess for me the best thing is seeing rapid progress as my body and mind remembers. So, with just a few matches, things are coming around. That's with little dry fire and less live fire. Things are still coming around. I know I'll need to dedicate time to this as things move along - but that's what I'm liking about my timing. We're coming into the winter season. I can use this as a time to knock rust off, and make progress. Just when things start to plateau - It'll be spring and I'll be ready to practice.

Welcome back to the sport! I'm right there with ya! And yes, despite my upitty attitude - I have as much frustration as I do anything else. I just chalk it up to the experience.

J

Hardball,

Out of all the things you posted, #7 worries me the most. You took some time off, yeah we all have, but we came back because we have a "drive" to be here. Something about all of us needs to be here for any one of many reasons, but we all have an itch that needs to be scratched. I wonder if you are really ready to come back.

When your drive leaves you, usually you do too (i.e. Joe Kessler).

I would first examine if you really want to be here, or if you just think you should be here. No offence Bro, just an observation.

Spot on Dan. That's the danger of over training. When you don't LOOK FORWARD to training or competing, something is wrong.

Sometimes they are legitimate distractions that need attention before you can relax and have fun, other times it's things you've allowed to creep into your fun hobby.

Are you busy arguing rules instead paying attention to YOUR match? Why?

I am NOT a morning person, but if I don't bound out of bed anxious to go to the match, something is wrong.... or it's just those same old 5 stages at you know where. :rolleyes:

I'm not actively shooting my pistols right now and I'm not in any organized practice routine. I used to fight the lay-off as though it were somehow harmful to my shooting. I assure you, in my case it is not.

Here is the thing about being in a "time of shooting": it is only one piece of the cycle. It's much like the more compressed and easily recognizable cycle of five or six things you must do to fire fast and accurately. Obviously, it's not good to fire the shot until you have drawn the gun and made the grip. Sight alignment also helps. After the shot, it works much better if we call the shot and pause for an instant to confirm or follow through, before begining the cycle anew. Yet, we struggle against these truths.

The diciplined mind eventually accepts that the results are worth the mental and visual patience. And then a bit farther along the trail comes the realization that it wasn't about the results at all. We start to appreciate the value of the entire process. When we were unskilled and undiciplined, we only lusted to press the trigger. We resented the other necessary parts of the process. Brian has written much about the importance of visual patience in succesfull shooting. Eventually we accept that it is true and the shooting somehow happens easier.

It is the same with the necessary cycle of life that has us shooting intensely for a while and then working on the things that allow us to shoot. Most of us need jobs, have family obligations, require spiritual, physical, and mental exercise, and a host of other housekeeping activity. Apart from a monastic lifestyle, where we bake bread to support ourselves, take a vow of silence, and are free to spend the rest of our time in training, most of us live in a world with more things in our cycle.

Let the cycle be. If your stage of "follow through" needs to occupy three years on the calendar to be fully accomplished, allow that to be. Conciousness of time leads to judgement rather than acceptance. Why on earth would we want to "get back" to anywhere? If you feel that you are not as good as you "used to be", you are definately looking in the wrong place. You are as good as you are. You are where you are. All else is deception.

This is one fine post. A keeper.

First thoughts:

Spot on Dan. That's the danger of over training. When you don't LOOK FORWARD to training or competing, something is wrong.

Sometimes they are legitimate distractions that need attention before you can relax and have fun, other times it's things you've allowed to creep into your fun hobby.

Are you busy arguing rules instead paying attention to YOUR match? Why?

I am NOT a morning person, but if I don't bound out of bed anxious to go to the match, something is wrong.... or it's just those same old 5 stages at you know where. :rolleyes:

Actually, you know me well enough DP to know that the rules are what we shoot inside of, that's it. I don't argue the rules anymore, no point in it. :)

I think alot of what my issues stem from, is that nagging feeling that I really should be fired up, but find that it is easier to make the excuse that "I just don't feel like it today".

We shall see what happens when I finish this new limited gun. New job, new outlook on life, new (better) paycheck, we shall see.

Dan, I have to agree. The "want to be or just feel as though I should be" here is something I look at consistently. I do want to be, but sometimes it is more difficult to see than it should be. Make sense? Like I said, I am building a new blaster, and as soon as it is put together, I am pretty sure I am gonna be fired up again. Been the same ole same ole for 10 years now.

See you guys soon.

• 2 months later...

Three years ago I was diagnosed with a herniated disk and degenerative arthritis in my lower back. The was advised that I should avoid such activity that one would find at a local IPSC match. So basically I quit shooting. Last month I shot my first match in two and a half years, and I am looking forward to the one coming up this weekend.

It is easy to overlook all of the benefits of going to a match.

1. Thank God there is an opportunity to go a match

2. What great people

3. Safest place in the world

4. Always find something done 'right' (clean, smooth, fast, in the zone, all A's, draw, index, something)

5. Being outside

6. And on and on and on

Video or pictures are great ways to see your successes. The other night I was watching some video from 2005. There were some not so great moments, but there were many things that I did well. It was good to see.

Shooting is just part of the overall experience. I find that when I am at a match or the range, I am less likely to live in the future or past. Being at the match in and of itself is like a level of being in the zone; very much living in the now.

Points and speed - they are way down on the list of benefits of going to a match. In the big picture, it matters not if you get all the points or run as fast as the fearless youth. Enjoy yourself in the company of your comrades.

I also feel the pain --- last month I started to shoot Action Matches again after almost a 10 year lay off. Back in the day , I almost always finished in the Top Five at any local match. First came Wide Body guns , then 38Supers , then Red Dots etc. and I just lost the LOVE that I had for this game.

So what to do ?? My plan is = shoot Revolver untill I can shoot in Sr. Class Good news is that in Revolver Class , I am again in the Top Five !!!!

Too bad there isn't more then 5 revolver shooters where I been shooting :lol:

I am in a very similar situation, 57 years old with two bad knees and one bad shoulder. I am very competitive ( professional athlete for 15 years). Most of the people I shoot with are at least 10 years younger and in good shape. I cannot run due to the knee problems and have a difficult time if you have to get up and down alot on a stage. I can call my shots and shoot well but finish in the bottom end due to my lack of speed. I look foward to shooting every weekend but would like to be somewhat competitive. The Steel Challenge Matches I feel will allow me to compete again due to the lack of movement required. If anyone else is in the same boat I would love to hear some suggestions on being more competitive in USPSA matches.

I enjoy shooting and the people involved and will not quit.