Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no camo?

-JQ-

Here is a question that I really don't have an answer to already.

Camo for hunting. IF Digipat camo works in the wods against other people, will it work for deer? If so, being cheaper than Realtree and the rest, why not and if why not, then if wer allow real tree as not an issue at a match, woudn't Digipat also be acceptable?

(Talk about a run-on sentence)

Jim

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people are so worried about the image you present, I say all humanoid shaped targets should be banned and as far as guns go they kill people they should be thrown out as well. Your PC will enhance the "Slippery Slope" just what the antis want. God I am glad I am old, won't be long before y'all are throwing wet sponges at 8X11 sheets of blank typing paper!!!

+1

Actually, human shaped targets ARE banned at my range. The only time something even remotely humanoid appears downrange is on match day with the standard IPSC target.

<Rant>

My observation has been that new shooters tend to observe a match or two first, then come out and give it a go. I like to believe that their powers of observation are sharp enough to understand the fact that showing up in a full BDU set and webgear would be unacceptable. We do NOT need legislation at any level dictating clothing or we'll soon end up in tasteless matching clothes like schoolchildren.

Next thought... US PRACTICAL Shooting Association. You are practicing shooting WHAT? Showing you can defend yourself and your family when the cardboard targets rise up to eliminate mankind and take over the planet? Thwarting the invasion of the pepper poppers? Get a grip and be honest with yourselves. We all know what we're doing, and have a damn good time at it. Friendship, competition, and developing skills that we all hope we never have to use except at the range. I couldn't care less if everyone decided to show up in pink tu-tus and knee high leather boots. :surprise: Per the current climate, that is apparently more politically acceptable.

Forget the PC drivel and let's get the plate rack reset so I can practice defending my country from the chinette set that may attempt an amphibious landing on our shores one day in the near future. :rolleyes:

</Rant>

Remember this: It's all about the shooting, not the clothing.

You people are so worried about the image you present, I say all humanoid shaped targets should be banned and as far as guns go they kill people they should be thrown out as well. Your PC will enhance the "Slippery Slope" just what the antis want. God I am glad I am old, won't be long before y'all are throwing wet sponges at 8X11 sheets of blank typing paper!!!

+1

Actually, human shaped targets ARE banned at my range. The only time something even remotely humanoid appears downrange is on match day with the standard IPSC target.

<Rant>

My observation has been that new shooters tend to observe a match or two first, then come out and give it a go. I like to believe that their powers of observation are sharp enough to understand the fact that showing up in a full BDU set and webgear would be unacceptable. We do NOT need legislation at any level dictating clothing or we'll soon end up in tasteless matching clothes like schoolchildren.

Next thought... US PRACTICAL Shooting Association. You are practicing shooting WHAT? Showing you can defend yourself and your family when the cardboard targets rise up to eliminate mankind and take over the planet? Thwarting the invasion of the pepper poppers? Get a grip and be honest with yourselves. We all know what we're doing, and have a damn good time at it. Friendship, competition, and developing skills that we all hope we never have to use except at the range. I couldn't care less if everyone decided to show up in pink tu-tus and knee high leather boots. :surprise: Per the current climate, that is apparently more politically acceptable.

Forget the PC drivel and let's get the plate rack reset so I can practice defending my country from the chinette set that may attempt an amphibious landing on our shores one day in the near future. :rolleyes:

</Rant>

Remember this: It's all about the shooting, not the clothing.

Hey be careful with the sarcasm. When a horde of Texas stars fly in from foreign lands, you will not be welcome in my bunker! :ph34r:

Lets say "Camo Guy" is pasting or setting steel. The RO looks around and DOESN'T see "Camo Guy". Range goes hot and a lot of bad could happen.

I saw this happen at a state match this year.

Unfortunately, the stage was a jungle run, through the woods.

It started to rain and the squad got out their rain gear, half of which was camo. (including myself)

I was told to load and make ready, and just as I was reholstering a hot revolver, someone in camo comes running back from pasting targets.

I now have brightly colored rain gear in my trunk at all times.

My fluorescent orange shirt did not stop the RO for giving th LMR while I was downrange and I am rather large (tall and fat).

"Camouflage, also known as cryptic coloration or concealing coloration, allows an otherwise visible organism or object to remain indiscernible from the surrounding environment."

If you were really to pick nits then jeans and a "T" would be cammo on most any range in the US during clement weather,,,,right???? I love to watch the newz when they report about a situation and the SWAT deploys in either woodland or BLACK you can hardly tell them from their surroundings :surprise: But if you really pay attention and look closely...............

ZZZzzzz.....opps fell asleep. Yeah ..ahh..camies, well I where some old Tiger stripes I have from time to time. Just the pants, with a T. But it's hot here in Florida. As far some person showing up ready to deploy.....good luck. He/she would taken out by the heat down here, as in they better have a water buffalo on their LBE (sorry no MOLLE when I was in). I think some common sense would go a long way, "Hey dude can you really shoot good dressed like that?". I know all that "stuff" didn't help me.

I guess if your safe your good to go. Now lets see that Vicki's secret range were :wub:

We have SWAT guys 'on call' that shoot our IPSC matches. We have state troopers that go on-shift right after the match ends. We have active duty military that shoot, police that shoot...

and none of them are wear their camo, uniforms or any sort of ninja suit for the match.

On the other hand, go by an outlaw 3-gun match and feast your eyes on the accountants and computer programmers camoed to the nines, discussing 'stopping power' and 'real world tatiks' and whatever other article was in this months Guns-n-Blammo magazine endlessly with each other..

We have SWAT guys 'on call' that shoot our IPSC matches. We have state troopers that go on-shift right after the match ends. We have active duty military that shoot, police that shoot...

and none of them are wear their camo, uniforms or any sort of ninja suit for the match.

On the other hand, go by an outlaw 3-gun match and feast your eyes on the accountants and computer programmers camoed to the nines, discussing 'stopping power' and 'real world tatiks' and whatever other article was in this months Guns-n-Blammo magazine endlessly with each other..

Thats 'cause us accountants and computer programmers get our fill of chinos and polo shirts at work. :lol:

Slav

Let's look at the big picture.

Golf, they wear funny pants.

SASS, they dress up like Saturday morning movie characters.

People just walking around wear sports jerseys for teams they couldn't make in their wildest dreams.

Revolutionary war re-enactors dress up as do Civil War.

Why can't we just say we are re-enacting anything from about 1940 on?

Jim

Hey Shred which ones would those be?? Not at Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun, CMMG, DPMS, Rocky Mountain 3-Gun or Colorado Multi-Gun. Don't forget " outlaw" is the norm, USPSA got into this deal about 17 year latter than we were doing 3-gun so don't run that deal out here. One other thought you might consider is that a few of the upper end "outlaw shooters" do quite a bit of training for D.O.D. and have been there done that to inclucde the C141 ride to the sandbox, so walk a bit carefull here untill you are seen in cammo yourself, not everybody wears a pocket protector or wears cammo frivolously, and as for bullet performance...leave Texas before you talk down to others! Kurt A. Miller

I think I smell something burning....... :blink:

I find that a pair of Kaki pants or shorts and a golf shirt or polo, or some type of Techwear shirt is most popular in my area. I Rarely ever see anyone wearing camo at IPSC matches. Lighter colored pants usually are common sense for a hot summer day. My camo clothes are made for hunting. Some is winter camo,...wouldn't that be funny showing up to an indoor match with winter camo!

• 3 weeks later...
Lets say "Camo Guy" is pasting or setting steel. The RO looks around and DOESN'T see "Camo Guy". Range goes hot and a lot of bad could happen.

Is there cardboard-style camo...I wouldn't wear that at the range for sure... :blink:

I prefer to wear a plain white T-shirt. The more I look like a "no shoot" the better. :rolleyes:

Bill

:cheers: Like the no shoot plan. I was thinking about most of the shooters at the local matches here, no camo, but mostly brown, tan, and the like. What are the targets and backgrounds here in the desert? Brown, tan. I think I just scared myself.

• 4 weeks later...

The rules should be kept as a guideline. Here in South Africa the Government of the day is just looking for a reason to stop Sport Shooting. Every time a photo of you shooting in Camo get published it`d just another nail in IPSC`s coffin in South Africa. Sure it is wrong, sure it is unacceptable but over here it is part of life. In the Global village were we live in every action concerning guns are carried throughout the world. The day after your vice-President shot a lawyer a Colomist in one of our local broadsheets remarked that no person that shoots a lawyer can be all bad. Last hunting season a 17 year boy was tragically killed in a Hunting accident. Before the end of the season I was asked by a visiting Russian how it happened. The anti-gun/hunting press in Russia ran with the story. As shooters we definitely need to see the larger picture. We cannot afford to loose a single shooting activity because it makes our "voice" less audible. Having said that, I will rather die than be seen with a pink gun. My guns are black and "ugly".