• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 6:24 AM, TennJeep1618 said:

Here is the current progress on my new reloading bench.  I still have quite a bit of work to do before I finish it, I just need to find the time.

Here is an album of the progress, with some descriptions of the process:  https://imgur.com/a/NP9maZa

Been following the progress of your reloading room on a few different social media sites. This is a very clean and well setup reloading room. 

1 minute ago, anbrumm said:

Did I see you got a Mark7 coming for your 1050?

Well, I've got the Mark 7, it just didn't come with all the necessary parts.  I bought it from a retailer (not directly from Mark 7) and I'm pretty sure it was previously bought and returned, so I've spent the last week talking to both the retailer and Mark 7 trying to sort out the best way to get those missing parts.  I'm actually expecting to get an email with a solution at any time.

5 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Putting all that money into the room them leaving the 1050 as a Peasant Edition doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Someone once told me that I should use granite as the bench top, and that didn't make a lot of sense either....

23 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

Someone once told me that I should use granite as the bench top, and that didn't make a lot of sense either....

You still haven’t caught the sarcasm in that one? Buther block, or stainless steel over plywood are the only surfaces that belong in a workshop.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

25 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

Well, I've got the Mark 7, it just didn't come with all the necessary parts.  I bought it from a retailer (not directly from Mark 7) and I'm pretty sure it was previously bought and returned, so I've spent the last week talking to both the retailer and Mark 7 trying to sort out the best way to get those missing parts.  I'm actually expecting to get an email with a solution at any time.

Man, that stinks. Frustrating when you spend that amount and don't get everything you need to run it. 

1 minute ago, anbrumm said:

Man, that stinks. Frustrating when you spend that amount and don't get everything you need to run it. 

Definitely.  Mark 7 has been very helpful throughout the process, it's just been drawn out because of having to figure out exactly what I'm missing and who's going to pay for it.

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Well, hopefully that gets sorted out soon! Your space looks amazing.

Even without granite.

Lol, thanks!  I've got what I think is going to be a pretty cool idea for moveable ceiling mounted lights and camera, but it will deserve a separate thread once I get it all done.  The parts needed for a proof of concept should be here tomorrow.

Edited by TennJeep1618

Just now, NumberTwo said:

What wood is everyone using?  Pine or something harder like maple?

My old bench had 2 layers of 3/4" pine plywood laminated together.  I found it a little soft at times, so I planned on doing the same thing with a piece of hardwood lauan on top this time.  That is, until I priced everything and thought about all the time it would take to laminate and cut, so I just bought some Acacia butcher block from a local "salvage" store.

ZOBf5qL.jpg

On 10/4/2018 at 8:55 AM, NumberTwo said:

Wow, that's beautiful.  I made a very nice furniture grade bench out if pine.  But the top cracked.  I'm a woodworker and just wondering if hard maple was overkill.

My first free standing reloading bench I made at the Pope AFB hobby shop circa 1994. (The bottom shelf was weighed down with bullets.)

I was just a poor 2Lt. back then and living in an apartment meant that I couldn't mount anything to the wall.

Hence it was free standing.  I made it out of (southern yellow??m) pine, and made full use of the hobby shop's planer; jointer, tablesaw, and hollow chisel mortiser (which allowed it to survive the military movers, so I still have it).

The main thing I am glad I did (and not to pat myself on the back too much) was use a round nose (aka a fluting bit) bit in a router (with a fence) to machine a groove ...a gutter really... about an inch in all the way around the top.

That kept bullets, cases, and other round objects from rolling off the top and falling onto the floor.

Menards does sell butcher block already made in 3 different sizes, but it is birch.  And someone had posted here that the one they looked at had a crack.

I tried to glue up a top last year  using old 2X4s, 2X6s, 2X8s I had taking up space in my shop.  The problem was I tried to glue them up edge to edge.  There was so much bow/warp/cup/twist in the boards that I put a tongue and groove in each board to help with the alignment.

It still took a lot of fighting and cussing to get a "panel" glued up.

If I had to do it over again, I would rather glue up 2X4s face to face like this guy:

And then use a round nose bit and a fence equipped router to plow a "gutter" an inch or so in on the top.

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 2:09 PM, Shootingblanks said:

My setup and contemplating on adding another 650 or 1050 between the current 650 and Redding T7. Bench is 8 ft long.

034c1c66aa2814a4190f04e39e30c7a1.jpg

Saving this. This would be ideal for my next bench. Quick question, did you cut the shelves to slide over the 4x4s? Sorry for bumping an old post.

Saving this. This would be ideal for my next bench. Quick question, did you cut the shelves to slide over the 4x4s? Sorry for bumping an old post.

I made the shelves after the bench was constructed and put into place. These shelves just sit on top of the bench for now.

I got the idea for the shelves from this video:

I used 1x8x8 for shelves and still have 23” of work space on top of bench. You

It took my girlfriend and I to lift the bench upright after I constructed it and put into place. I may afix it to the back down the road when I finish the basement and/or decide to paint the bottom of the bench and shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk