Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but probably could've easily if I'd had the tools. It wasn't complicated, obviously. Bolted right to the wall which makes it incredibly stable. It's ultra-compact but where there's a will (the shooter who needs .45ACP ammo) there's a way (the reloading setup). It works for me.

One of our local shooters (one of the A-Class guys, of course) built it. We have some good carpenters in the crowd. Mostly it's just a decent example of what can be functional and discreet in a VERY small space. Just install lots of shelves and you have the needed storage space (I still need to do that) ;)

I keep a running spreadsheet log of rounds loaded and how many times, essentially, I stop to reload a primer pick-up tube... or when I change primer brands... along with bullet type, powder charge, any changes or anomalies in performance (typically only if I don't seat the primers flush) and which brass causes priming problems (So far it's IMI and CCC and FC 97/87 and occasionally Fiocchi). The 'rounds loaded' tells me the number of primers used. I thought seriously about saving the little primer box sleeves and papering the walls with 'em... kind of like tiles. But there's a limit to what I want that closet to look like, and the dark boxes won't reflect light as well as the white walls already there. I also still need to build shelves, and tiling the walls with those things--well, they'd just have to come down. <_<

As usual, I think I over-answered poor twix's question....... ;)

Oh my. I am both impressed and and I'm not even sure. Do you have a little "rite" for each loaded round as well? I'm thinking of the WWII Japanese Kamikaze pilots here...

This IPSC stuff is a little addicting isn't it? :)

Tom Bergman

Hmmm... Oriental rites over my reloads... let me think about that. :D I'll try to work it in.

No, no rites (yet), but each round gets several formal and informal inspections before it's stuffed into the gun. The last formal inspection could be loosely regarded as a rite--I visually inspect all sides of it while twirling it thru thumb and forfinger seeking cracks in the casing crimp. If I don't catch the cracks edge-on view when placing 'em on the shellplate I catch 'em in that final twirl. B)

My reloading needs at the moment are extremely simple, but it's saving me tons of money and I have custom powder charges... like everyone else I shoot with.

Shooting is plenty 'addicting' all by itself, but reloading is REALLY addicting!! :lol:;)

Yes, I just reloaded 245 rds about an hour ago and lost track of how many times I emptied the little "weenie" blue box... and I kept thinking, "Jeez, what WERE they THINKING with this teeny box in the first place...??!! " <_< Rounds tend to bounce out of the box so I've placed an 'overbounce' box just below the blue one... they actually fall into that overflow box like magic. :P But that's bogus. I'd rather have a bigger primary outflow box.

The 'rounds loaded' tells me the number of primers used. I thought seriously about saving the little primer box sleeves and papering the walls with 'em... kind of like tiles.

When you buy a new sleeve of primers (5000) number the box. each box accounts for 5,000 rounds. i.e., if you are loading from the box maked 11 and there are two full 1,000 primier boxes left, you have loaded 52,000 -53,000 rounds depending on where in the small box you are.

• 1 month later...

Lynn

when i get my new digital camera later this week, Ill post an updated pic. my bench was set up before i knew marc at all. I tried marc's handle and i think i like the stock one better. I dont use a chair when i reload, i sit all day at work, i stand if i can. as for the safe its alot bigger than it looks in the pic, besides it came with the house, i cant complain. The red loader on the right is a Pacific shotshell loader so i dont need a MEC. it gets me by for the year in 3-gun. Ill see if i can add more clutter.

• 3 weeks later...

Yay... finally figured out the webspace thing.

Here's mine:

Find the bench... I dare ya!

bench1r.JPG

There it is!

bench2r.JPG

I swear that the brand didn't even come in to play when purchasing the bench... :D

bench3r.JPG

The bike isn't there anymore... well, at least the frame and engine are gone. ;) Boxes and miscellaneous parts remain--I have to sell the parts. More dough for reloading supplies!!!

BD, the bench is as active as a 500-lb hooker... that is, it don't move much. It's quite heavy and very stable. I did have to bang the drawers into shape so that they slid in and out freely. Also, the inner workings of one of the drawer glides fell out during assembly (left greasy ball bearings all over the place). I called up GR and they sent another one out, no questions asked. Overall, I'd have to say I'm happy with it... and it only cost $100 at OSH.

TOE, luckily it isn't/wasn't one of those fetal-position bikes. It's a Yamaha FZ1. Based on the R1, but a hell of a lot more comfy for us gorillas. ;) The photos I've seen of myself on bikes can definitely be described as you so eloquently put it... I outsize 'em a bit. :D As far as the condition that it's in... let's just say that Yamaha's financers wanted it back... they got the parts with the VIN on 'em back. :ph34r: