Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

You guys have some awesome benches for sure...

I ended up expanding on my room a little bit. I built a couple walls to expand the size of my area. I also bought a new bench setup that I like a lot and it's working out great so far. I'm not done with the room yet but with the new baby I don't have a ton of time to spend working on it. I'll prob. put up another wall and close things off but I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking of adding another 1050 with bulletfeeder and maybe another bench but I'm not really sure as of yet. I need to give it some more thougths. Anyways, here is the new setup that I've come up with.

Enjoy,

Pete

DSC_1376.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-4426-1217541221.jpgpost-4426-1217541256.jpgpost-4426-1217541294.jpgHere's a look at my reloading area my wife and I are just about finished with. A little electrical work and it will be finished. Forrest :cheers:

Hey FB, Peggy's press looks better than yours. And she cooks good too!!!!!!

post-4426-1217541221.jpgpost-4426-1217541256.jpgpost-4426-1217541294.jpgHere's a look at my reloading area my wife and I are just about finished with. A little electrical work and it will be finished. Forrest :cheers:

Hey FB, Peggy's press looks better than yours. And she cooks good too!!!!!!

I like the his/hers tumblers - now I wonder who has the largest? :roflol:

What no his/her primer filler? :surprise:

You need to put a divider between the 2 presses.

I count 19 stacked ammo boxes in one of the pictures. I have 4x100 9mm, 2x50 9mm and 2x100 .45acp plastic bins. I was wondering how many folks store all their ammo in the plastic bins, versus a box, coffee can or storage bin? I used to dump what I needed into a sturdy cardboard box that bullets came in. It fit very well in the center of my range bag and it was easy to grab a handful of rounds when reloading.

At Summer Blast I carried 400 rounds in the plastic bins. They seemed to be a PITA compared to the box.

Thanks,

Bruce

I used to use bins, bullet boxes and ziploc bags until I encountered occasional high primers. Since I've switched to cardboard ammo boxes and styrofoam bullet trays from Midway. Filling the trays it's easy to scan for high primers, reloading at a match it's easy to dump two rows (ten rounds) into a hand to fill Production mags.....

The trays last forever, after three years or so I'm having to chuck some of the 9mm boxes, as they have an unfortunate tendency to open on the wrong end, sending 50 loose rounds into my bag.....

I have a pretty large container that I put all my practice ammo in because I really don't scan any of my practice ammo. I will quickly check it when loading a mag but nothing serious. However, I box all my match ammo and check that to be sure there aren't any issues. The boxes are great for checking primers etc.

I count 19 stacked ammo boxes in one of the pictures. I have 4x100 9mm, 2x50 9mm and 2x100 .45acp plastic bins. I was wondering how many folks store all their ammo in the plastic bins, versus a box, coffee can or storage bin? I used to dump what I needed into a sturdy cardboard box that bullets came in. It fit very well in the center of my range bag and it was easy to grab a handful of rounds when reloading.

At Summer Blast I carried 400 rounds in the plastic bins. They seemed to be a PITA compared to the box.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce, The ammo boxed on the counter top is 40 major for matches. I usually take ammo to a match in boxes in the middle of my stage bag, it works out pretty good that way. The rest of the practice ammo my wife and I use, is in border shift bags. 9's 40's & 45's. The rest of the match ammo (9's and 45's) is boxed in the safe off the left of the loading bench. That is a old safe used for powder, primers and ammo. Forrest

When I started loading, I was living in an apartment, I needed a bench that I could quickly set up, and then fold up and put away neatly in the closet. I also didn't have much money, so I started using a Black and Decker workmate that I think I paid fifteen dollars for at Walmart, almost eighteen years ago. Four small C-clamps secure each strong mount to the workbench, and can quickly and easily be removed, and the entire thing can be set up or taken down in minutes, and stored neatly in a regular sized closet space. Now that I have a house, I dedicated the walk-in closet of my den, and just leave it set up. As I started loading more calibres, the biggest pain was changing the primer feed system, I load for lots of calibres now, including rifle, so I added a second press, the one on the right is 18 years old and set up for small primers, the one on the left is only about ten years old, and set up for large primers. It looks a bit crowded in the photo, but it isn't really, and it fits in the walk-in closet of my den, it's air conditioned, it's secure, when kids or guests come by the house, I can just shut and latch the closet door. I can sit at the bench and look 90 degrees to my right, through the open closet door, and see the big-screen TV in my den. Reloading supplies are on shelves above, and a 24" X 48" folding table is directly behind me so I can rotate on the revolving drummers stool and either get more primers, a calibre quick change toolhead, or box up some ammo etc... Now I just need to figure out how to fit my MEC 9000 Hydrolic Shotshell press in there! I feel it's important to be comfortable while loading, you're a lot more likely to do it more when you're comfortable.

I love this setup, and it didn't cost a fortune or take any construction skills either!

2740557064_8280a8b525_b.jpg

2739721379_574a995d3a_b.jpg

2740608648_9faf4932a9_b.jpg

Edited by JDBraddy

• 5 weeks later...

I was relegated to the garage, and only loaded single stage for rifle-this was my little spot:

bench4xc.jpg

Then the Boss decided I could have the third bedroom as long as I kept it clean (now that I'm taking up pistol shooting, it will have a non-blue setup next week):

office001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally got the chance to build my "new" bench. I have decided to go with Dillon strong mounts so I have a couple of days wait until I set up the presses...a SDB in 45 and a 550B in 40.

I thought best to take picture while clean...the hardest part was getting the stickers so crooked... :blink:

b3n3nd.jpg

Here are the photos of the reloading bench I just purchased and assembled in 5 minutes. It is a Bench by Keystone and is 5' X 2' X 3'. I secured it to the wall with three 4" screws and it is solid as a rock and is awaiting the Lee Loadmaster I purchased from a member of this Forum. I need to upgrade the top but will do that later. I stink at carpentry-this gets the job done for right now.

post-15649-1229200016_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Blue Christmas (and a little orange, too) so I thought I'd take some pics of my office/reloading room in its most current state.

Here's the bench with the condoms on. I got the quickchange setup for .223 from the wife for Christmas, and it's the one on the press at the moment. I loaded my first few rounds of .223 this afternoon. The 9mm toolhead is on the stand.

IMG_9416.jpg

Here's a closeup of the press (and Ms. January 2009 in the Dillon Aero calendar).

IMG_9417.jpg

Here's the bench with the condoms off:

IMG_9418.jpg

Spinning around the room:

IMG_9419.jpg

Directly behind me when I'm loading:

IMG_9423.jpg

You guys have some awesome benches for sure...

I ended up expanding on my room a little bit. I built a couple walls to expand the size of my area. I also bought a new bench setup that I like a lot and it's working out great so far. I'm not done with the room yet but with the new baby I don't have a ton of time to spend working on it. I'll prob. put up another wall and close things off but I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking of adding another 1050 with bulletfeeder and maybe another bench but I'm not really sure as of yet. I need to give it some more thougths. Anyways, here is the new setup that I've come up with.

Enjoy,

Pete

DSC_1376.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

SO Pete whats the gallon :surprise: of WD40 about????

Kevin

post-16842-1231099367_thumb.jpgpost-16842-1231099377_thumb.jpgpost-16842-1231099377_thumb.jpg

Used 2 by 8's from old waterbed, then 3/4 inch birch plywood..then stained everything.

It turned out to be very solid, attached it to a header on the wall back behind, and to the floor.

Used scraps to make shelves.

I am pretty happy with it! :rolleyes:

post-16842-1231099349_thumb.jpg