Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Free Solitare Games for my Mom's new PC

benos

The only thing my mom will use her new, $450 Dell for is to play games. So I was trying to install a few new games on it before sending it to her. Having never played games on a computer, or did anything with a PC computer - man, what a disaster. About the only game or games she plays are Solitare. So I downloaded a few Solitare games from the links below, but the few I've tried so far have so much baggage that comes along with them... I was hoping someone could point me to a place where I could download a few, free, simple old-school, Solitare games. So I can install and test them before I send her the PC.

Thanks in advance.

be

http://www.download-free-games.com/

http://www.alldownloadgames.com/

I don't think there are any good free PC solitaire games left. All the good ones went commercial.

For $24 bucks, pretty good solitaire has a LOT of variations, and pretty solid autoplay to move things along. Or at least it did way back when it was still free.

The only one that I have tried that was even halfway decent, and not a scam, was the cards plugin for firefox.

http://cardgames.mozdev.org/

however, launching it isn't just click an icon, so might be out for mom's PC.

I thought that Solitare came with Windows under the games menu.

There aren't any games in My Computer/Local Disk/Program Files/Games (folder). But I am pretty clueless - where do I find the "games menu"?

be

After installing and trying 6 Solitaire "game packets," I uninstalled all of them except Hoyle Solitaire. It seems to have the most promise. However, when I click on 'single card games' I get a list with about 33 names for different Solitare games. So without trying them all... does anyone know the actual name of what I grew calling "Solitaire"? We played one where you "flipped over 3 cards at a time," and you could keep going through the deck until you could no longer play, and the other game we played - you "flipped over 1 card at a time" but you could only go through the deck once.

be

Bummer... my Hoyle free "trial" (didn't catch that word when I downloaded it) just expired. Now it costs 20 bucks. Maybe I'll just go down to Fry's Electronics and look at some games.

In XP, the solitaire games should be accessible through Start -> All Programs -> Games.

If they are not there, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

In the dialog that opens, click "Add/Remove Windows Components."

Click on "Accessories and Utilities" to highlight, and then click Details.

Check the box next to Games. Clear out of everything with OK.

Might need to have the installtion CD.

In XP, the solitaire games should be accessible through Start -> All Programs -> Games.

If they are not there, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

In the dialog that opens, click "Add/Remove Windows Components."

Click on "Accessories and Utilities" to highlight, and then click Details.

Check the box next to Games. Clear out of everything with OK.

Might need to have the installtion CD.

SWEET! Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know. Being PCC (PC-Clueless), I never even noticed "All Programs" in the Start Menu. So when I found the Games Folder in Program Files, and there was not any games in it, I didn't think the computer had any games installed on it. "Regular ol' 3-card-flipover" Solitaire is right there. And there's another Solitaire called "Spider Solitaire" but I never seen that one before (couldn't find the rules). There's about 10 various types of games pre-installed, so that will keep her happily occupied.

Again, thanks for the details. I needed them.

be

After installing and trying 6 Solitaire "game packets," I uninstalled all of them except Hoyle Solitaire. It seems to have the most promise. However, when I click on 'single card games' I get a list with about 33 names for different Solitare games. So without trying them all... does anyone know the actual name of what I grew calling "Solitaire"? We played one where you "flipped over 3 cards at a time," and you could keep going through the deck until you could no longer play, and the other game we played - you "flipped over 1 card at a time" but you could only go through the deck once.

be

Bummer... my Hoyle free "trial" (didn't catch that word when I downloaded it) just expired. Now it costs 20 bucks. Maybe I'll just go down to Fry's Electronics and look at some games.

Ok, a few things.

1) the solitaire you are probably talking about is called yukon, although the one card at a time variation is non-standard from any of the rules I ever read.

2) I don't know if it ships with regular XP, I have XP x64 and it has freecell as well as regular solitaire (yukon), and spider solitaire. These are in START->Games.

3) Whatever regular XP comes with, if it isn't installed, pop up control panel. Run add/remove software. Select add/remove windows components, check accessories and utilities. Click details. If games isn't checked, check it and install them.

ETA

Gah. beat to it. That's what I get for leaving the thread open forever before actually replying.

Ah well.

Edited by raz-0