Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Malfunction

BlackBuzzard

Here's my problem: with slide locked back, insert loaded magazine, and drop slide with slide release lever. The trigger resets fully forward at this point along with slide going into full battery. When trigger is pulled there is unusual resistance with the trigger safety and then the trigger just snaps all the way with no shot fired. Sometimes this happens with the more traditional load-and-make-ready process, where I pull the slide back by hand and release.......then at buzzer my first trigger pull yields no shot.

What I think is happening is the trigger bar is not grabbing the striker tab when the slide is dropped (or it slips off early) .......though it works just fine in followup fire if the first shot goes off.

What I have done in effort to fix, is ever so slightly bent the trigger bar tab (cruciform??) where it engages the striker a minute amount upward. Dry cycling seems to show this fixed it.....will range test later.

Tell me I am on (or not) the right track here?

Gun: G34 with very high miles, triggerkit.com guts. Lots of slop in the slide to lower rails fit........good candidate for slide tightening.

BlackBuzzard

Pulling the trigger causes upward pressure on the rear of the slide. It's possible that the slide is so loose that the upward pressure is pushing the slide up high enough for the striker to slide off and over the trigger bar tab. If this is the case slide tightning would be a possible cure. The best way to see if this is happening is to get one of the slide cover plates made so you can see the trigger innards working (I think Brownells carries them). You can make your own if you have an extra slide cover plate, ground off the lower extremities and that would allow you to see the innards at work.

If that's what happening, that is a LOT of slop in the slide/rail fit. I would also check to see if the slide rail inserts in the receiver are still staked into the receiver and are not loose.

Another thing I would check is your striker assembly. If the black plastic thing that goes on the striker (not the cups, but the other thing that the name of escapes me) is cracked or broken, it might allow the striker to tilt upward during the trigger pull. Come to think of it, bad cups might do this too.

Interesting malfunction. Keep us posted as to the cause. I would like to file this one away in the memory banks for the future.

Update us what's the cause and how you resolve it.

It ran well in todays match - 3gun so it saw limited action. My fix was as I described originally..................just ever so slightly bent the trigger bar (where it touches the striker tab) up, so as to have a touch more engagement on striker.......and I do mean slightly!

I replaced the plastic striker channnel liner recently with new one......so that should be good. G34 has like 40,000 rounds through it with gobs of dry fires.

I can duplicate the exact trigger feel (when malfunctioning) by cycling the trigger with the slide off and moving the trigger bar and connector by hand to reset. At this point I think I was correct in my fix and original assumption, that the trigger bar was just not grabbing the striker tab when I dropped the slide by slide release lever.

Theres got to a lot of slop in that G34 fit......most 3.5 pound connectors make it double. I have one 3.5 pound connector that it seems to like and not double with.

BlackBuzzard

ps. no overtravel thingy on this G34

Edited by BlackBuzzard

Stick a Vanek trigger kit in it, thats what fixed my RS kit when it gave me problems. Otherwise call up Ralph hell send you another kit if you want. I think there might be someone around here thatll buy your RS kit if you go with the Vanek. :cheers: