Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 major with Master Blaster boolits

glock10mmman

I just got back from the range cronoing the some loads.

Ive been running Zero, X-treme (west cost) and berrys plated for some time now around 950-960 FPS to be on the safe side. I used the same charge for some Master Blaster boolits today and my velocitys jumped to around 1020 with a butt load of smoke for outdoors and alot of leading.

Is this common? Just to make sure I cronoed some of my jacketed and plated stuff with the same 950-960 range.

Im running 4.6 grains of N320 with federal small pistol primers OAL is 1.130" and a storm lake Glock 35 barrel.

Any help would be appreciated.

g10

Masterblaster are lead bullets that have been coated if I rember right. Never use jacketed bullet load data with lead bullets ( coated or uncoated ) Lead is softer and seals the bore better, pressure and velocity both go way up. Lots of people have discovered this while standing with a blowed up pistol in thier hand. Reduce your load by.5 and recrono. I have found that the diffrence is usualy about .3.---------------Larry

It might be that the powder you are running is a pretty hot burning powder and it's burning off some of the polymer coating off the back of the bullet. I am running masterblaster bullets out of my Edge, and I just get a tad bit of smoke. I don't think you can run a poly coated bullet and not get smoke, but you can definately cut down the smoke by swithching to a cooler burning powder. My loads are as follows:

180 gr MB

4.9 gr of Universal Clays

1.35 OAL

mixed brass

Win small pistol or Fed small pistol primers

It's the most accurate round I've ever shot out of a handgun, light recoiling, low pressure, and smoke is not noticable outside. Inside, you can see the smoke a little, but not much.

I have had good success with WST using both Master Blaster & Precision bullets. My load is for minor - 3.3 g of WST gets me in the 135ish PF range with either bullet (Precision is 185 gr) out of my MP. WST is relatively clean burning, cheap, accurate, and soft shooting. I have noticed that the smoke issues are way down as well. I'm sure you could make major with WST.

UC should be a good powder for that bullet. Don't forget to make a good crimp (.420-.421). I think you just need to tweak what you have a bit. As stated earlier moly bullets run faster than plated by about 5 - 10% FPS. Your velocity has increased by about 6%. 4.2 to 4.3 should get you back to 950 FPS. BTW the MB's weigh in under 180 gr.....I weighed a random sample of about 10 or so and found them to be about 178 gr.

Tom of MB & Dave of Precision suggest Ramshot Competition for major loads. I would like to try some but it is rare in my area.

Just my thoughts - YMMV

I've not shot any masterblasters but I have shot quite a lot of precisions & the things to think about are the bell needs to be bigger than for a fmj bullet & the crimp as light as possible or really nonexistent. If you scrape the polymer when seating or if you cut it during the crimp, it will come off the lead leaving it bare & give you the results you have.

I also think the powder matters, too. I use v.v.3n37 for mine & have minimal smoke. Keep fooling with it, I bet you'll get it figured out.

MLM

I use masterblasters with ramshot like they recommend on the MB site with little smoke, it is a clean fairly inexpensive powder too. I used to use N320, which worked great too, but cost to darn much!

What kind of charge weight were you using with the N320?

Thanks

g10

"I'm using 4.6 gr of N320 at 1.19" and that gets me right on 165 out of a 5" barsto."

I just ran some this past weekend, 185 Lead FP and 185 Precision FP OAL. 1.18" and 4.5 N-320 and both had a power factor of 175. Mixed brass and Winchester spp.

The pistol was a Edge with a 5" tube.

Buddy

I get about 935- 940 fps from 4.4 grains of tite group or N320 with these 185 bullets, from a 5" KKM barrel - 1.185 OAL, Win SRP.

I usually have to use 4.9 to 5.0 grains of the same powder to make major with jacketed 180s, same barrel.

A .4 drop in powder could easily make the velocity changes you mention. Add about .1 and you should be close to where you need to be.

Are you loading "long" (ie 1.200") or regular .40SW length (1.135")? If you're loading shorter lengths, the powder changes will have an even more dramatic effect; its a fairly high pressure round.

I get about 935- 940 fps from 4.4 grains of tite group or N320 with these 185 bullets, from a 5" KKM barrel - 1.185 OAL, Win SRP.

I usually have to use 4.9 to 5.0 grains of the same powder to make major with jacketed 180s, same barrel.

A .4 drop in powder could easily make the velocity changes you mention. Add about .1 and you should be close to where you need to be.

Are you loading "long" (ie 1.200") or regular .40SW length (1.135")? If you're loading shorter lengths, the powder changes will have an even more dramatic effect; its a fairly high pressure round.

Thanks for the reply. I am loading out to 1.130 as Im shooting a Glock 35 with Storm Lake barrel and I dont think I can oad much longer than that.

g10

I just got back from the range cronoing the some loads.

Ive been running Zero, X-treme (west cost) and berrys plated for some time now around 950-960 FPS to be on the safe side. I used the same charge for some Master Blaster boolits today and my velocitys jumped to around 1020 with a butt load of smoke for outdoors and alot of leading.

Is this common? Just to make sure I cronoed some of my jacketed and plated stuff with the same 950-960 range.

Im running 4.6 grains of N320 with federal small pistol primers OAL is 1.130" and a storm lake Glock 35 barrel.

Any help would be appreciated.

g10

Was making major (168 PF) with master blasters at 4.5/4.6 of N320. Need 4.9 to get same PF out of Montana Gold jacketed.

I use N320 with my 180gr Masterblasters.

4.8gr @ 1.190 OAL. WSP. Mixed brass out of a factory 5" Para barrel

Chronoed at MI Sectional at 176.6 PF (Was not sure what the temp was going to be, wanted make sure I made major. I could not tell the difference from 4.6gr).

962 fps

995 fps

986 fps

981 fps avg.

176.6 PF

4.4 grains is all it takes of n320 in my Glock 24 with jacketed bullets. It takes Less than 4 grains to make major in my KKM G24 barrel and the masterblaster/bear creek 180 grain bullets.

I cant justify the cost difference between n320 and titegroup.

Harmon