Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 92fs

George D

I've heard a number of comments from other shooters, and even the gunshop owner that I deal with, on the poor accuracy and mediocre trigger on the Beretta 92FS.

Any Beretta enthusiasts have any comments on or recipies for improvement of these aspects of this gun??

I'm not a Beretta shooter...but I know a few.

I dry-fired one last night that I wouldn't be afraid to shoot at a Major Match.

I've also experienced them (boringly) ringing 10 inch steel cirles at 100 yards.

They may need a little work to get there, but they can shoot.

It's one of the top 3 or 4 guns for production or idpa.

The trigger can be made very nice, between 2.75 and 3.5 singla action, around 7 lbs double action.

I'm growing very weary of defending and recommending them in some circles, so I'll just say this:

If it fits your hand and points well, you'll have a gun that will never jam and is accurate enough for 99% of all shooters in the world.

Factory Berettas are 3 inches at 25 yards, a bar-sto barrel probly cuts that in half.

Go for the elite 1 or 2, you want the beveled magwell and removable front sight.

EVERYTHING you need is here: Langdontactical.com

SA

I had Langdon do a trigger job on my Elite II at the 2001 IDPA nationals and the difference is night and day. He puts a speedbump trigger in, a 17-pound hammer spring, and files the trigger bar, hammer, and sear. The double pull was about 7 pounds and the single pull is 3.5 pounds. The only problem is that it will not shoot S&B rounds with reliability due to the lighter hammer strike. All in all, it made a huge difference and only took him about 30 minutes to get it done.

How does the Elite II differ from the 92FS? The Beretta website makes no mention of this model, but does show a 92 Combat Combo. Anyone had any experience with the 92 Combat Combo?

The beretta can easily shoot better than most any IPSC shooter. The DA trigger can get as low as 5 lbs. The SA trigger can get as low as 2.5 or so. It is very accurate out of the box and I am sure that mine would shoot a sub 1.5" group at 25 yards, but since I can't shoot that well, I can't say for sure.

As for what model, here goes.

92fs - standard old boring model - no beveled magwell, no dovetail sights, slide mounted safety.

Elite II - standard frame, beveled magwell, extended mag button, brigadear slide, dovetail sights, slide mounted hammer drop

Vertec - straight grip frame (more like a 1911), very beveled magwell, standard slide, dovetail sights, slide mounted safety (unless you find a G model)

Elite Ia - straight grip frame, beveled magwell, brigadear slide, dovetail sights, no sure on the mag button, slide mounted hammer drop

Langdon is fantastic with these things. http://www.langdontactical.com/

How does the Elite II differ from the 92FS? The Beretta website makes no mention of this model, but does show a 92 Combat Combo. Anyone had any experience with the 92 Combat Combo?

It is amazing how lacking the Beretta web site is, especially when it comes to their handguns. They are missing many of their current models. The biggest reason to stay away from the 92FS for competition is the front sight. Not that its bad, but it can't (easily) be changed.

Currently, I've been shooting my Elite II in L-10 and Limited due to the Speed Bump trigger and Burner grips. Never thought IPSC would put more restrictions on a division than IDPA.

I shoot the Vertec in production now. It's as accurate as I am. I stayed with the D hammer spring for reliability and took the speed bump trigger out after finding out it's illegal for production in the USPSA and other people reporting that it eventually peens the frame where the bump contacts it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Living in Australia, Langdon Tactical would be a little beyond practicality, but all comments have been appreciated.

The Combat Combo has 2 barrels (5" and 6") and barrel bushings, adjustable rear sight, brigadier slide, frame mounted safety and a tuned single action trigger.

All I need now is to get my hands on one to make the "feel" test.