Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

October 2007

Duane Thomas

Ten quotes, each with its own bonus point question, thus maximum possible score is 20 points.

Movie Trivia Quote rules: Give the name of the actor/actress and the movie. If you want to be really cool you can also give the year, but that's not necessary to have a "got" answer. No building on someone else's answers; once a person has a "got" answer, it belongs to them. No playing, if you've already won a book. No using an Internet movie quote data base to find the answers, on your honor; breaking this rule will result in disqualification.

Since several quotes this month come from older movies, I thought it might be a useful clue to list the years in which these films were released. In order, they are: 1935, 1943, 1974, 1995 (made-for-TV movie), 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003.

1. This is what I call a timely interruption! Though what'll come of it, the devil himself only knows!

BONUS POINT: What price does the main character fetch when sold into slavery?

2. Don't you ever have to bother to take aim?

Sure, I took aim.

When?

Before I drew.

That's a new one on me.

What's that?

Aiming before you draw.

I've got to.

Why?

My hand seems to be a little quicker than my eye.

Well ain't that too bad.

BONUS POINT: Who lies in Billy the Kid's grave?

3. Oh Christ, what a guest to bring to a gun club. You're proably one of them knee-jerk liberals thinks us gun boys shoot our guns because it's an extension of our penises.

I never thought about it that way. But it could be true.

Well, maybe it is. But this is gun country. Can't even own a handgun in New York City. Out here I hardly know a man that doesn't own one. And I'll tell ya somethin': unlike your city, we can walk our streets and through our parks at night and feel safe. Muggers operatin' out here, they just plain get their asses blown off.

BONUS POINT: Finish this sentence: "What about the old American social custom of blank?"

4. You have a telephone appointment tonight at midnight to speak with the head of the FBI's serial murder task force, Special Agent Bedford. He told me, late last night, that he has been following your work on this case with great interest for about five years. I didn't ask him how. He considers you a man of iron will. For what it's worth, I concur. He also told me that he rotates his people off serial murder cases every 18 months, whether they like it or not, to prevent the inevitable psychological consequences of too much frustration. I...I pretended that I had known that all along. He thinks that I pushed you, and pushed you, in search of your limits. Until I realized that you didn't have any. Privately, I offer my deepest apologies to you and your wife. I hope that someday you can forgive me my ignorance. Anyway....he suggested I not tell you this next, but he said that he starts a new group of recruits through the program every 16 weeks, and the first lecture that he gives is always about you. He calls you the one man in the world that he would least like to have after him: an intelligent, methodical, painstaking, passionate detective who would rather die than give up. Again, I concur.

BONUS POINT: With what brand gun is the killer killed?

5. See, that's the difference between us: you think we're fighting, and I think we're finally talking.

BONUS POINT: What word means love, respect, community, and the dollars, too - the entire package?

6. Listen, I'm gonna get really annoyed with you in a minute. They're cheering out there. You did that. Now get out there, and do your stuff.

God, is there anyone I don't get bollocked by?

BONUS POINT: What song plays as the end credits roll? Name the song and group.

7. In the business, favors are more important than threats. It's about making people feel wanted and liked. Making them feel appreciated. You find out what they like and you make it happen for them. They want to go to a ball game or a show, you get them the tickets. They want something for their wife or their girlfriend, get them a nice fur. Sometimes all they want's an expensive bottle of wine. If all they want is cash, there's always plenty of that. If you take care of them, this business can take care of you. Just don't spend it all in one place.

BONUS POINT: How long does the main character spend in jail before the movie starts?

8. How come you got out of doing movies?

I guess I kind of turned into an unbearable shit.

Aren't there a lot of people like that in this business?

Yeah. But it helps if you've got something that nobody can live without. You know somethin' funny? When my first picture became a hit, there were a whole lot of people just lined up waiting to kiss my ass. Then when the movies started to tank, well -- now they're lined up behind somebody else's ass. You gotta have people in your life who are there for you. Whether you're somebody or not.

Did you find somebody like that?

Nope.

BONUS POINT: What do both characters have in their hands during this conversation?

9. Say it again.

Say what?

You know, what you told me.

You have a divine, animal right to protect your own life and the life of your offspring.

BONUS POINT: At the end of the movie, when asked where she wants to go, what does the little girl say?

10. I wasn't always like this, you know. I wasn't always wound this tight. There was a time when I was fun. I was funny. I was.

BONUS POINT: Name the hard rock band of which the main character and his best friend were members.

#4 is Donald Sutherland in Citizen X

SA Friday has one correct.

and if I remember right the gun was a Tokarev.

Nope.

Been a long time since I've seen this movie. A Makarov is the only other thing I can think of.

Couple of the other quotes are really familiar, but I can't put my finger on them. Still working on remembering. Sucks getting older, the memories all start to blend.

OK, I've given wlktheduk enough time to add to his answer. I'm about to poach:

#3 is Charles Bronson and Stuart Margolin (from the Rockford Files) in Death Wish

#3 bonus is "self-defense"

I'm still trying to figure out #1. I watched that movie recently, but since I've watched a LOT of movies lately and they have all started to blend inside my 10 lb nugget of psychosis :blink:. Back to blockbusters to figure out what I've rented since my exile.....

Damn, now I gotta see if I can rent Citizen X somewhere. This will bug me until I see it again. It's gotta be one of those movie gun screw-ups where they used a gun because it's cool looking instead of what they would have really been issued. I was honestly more focused on the room than the gun. Then thought, oh ya, easy clean up, duh...